Modifying SteelBooks

Feb 17, 2010
Share how you modify your Steelbooks here.

diy1.png

Last edited by a moderator:
El Cirujano Plastico del Acero does it again :naughty:

I had a very hard time to take off covers and spine (that was damaged during the extirpate
icon_evil.gif
icon_evil.gif
)

Thanks for making this thread... I had to do 'un-dent' my Kill Bill Vol 2, which I just got today (yeah, a little late to the party, I know).

I used this thread to pop the metal off, then used a q-tip to massage the dent out from the inside. Like most others have said, it gets rid of the indentation, so its much less noticeable, but there's still basically a small scratch there.

this looks nice??,

I have always wanted the German double version

I Like it. I like it a lot! Maybe print out a custom spine with both titles on it?

---------- Post added at 05:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:28 PM ----------

Thanks for making this thread... I had to do 'un-dent' my Kill Bill Vol 2, which I just got today (yeah, a little late to the party, I know).

I used this thread to pop the metal off, then used a q-tip to massage the dent out from the inside. Like most others have said, it gets rid of the indentation, so its much less noticeable, but there's still basically a small scratch there.

I've got the same problem with Kill Bill Vol. 1! I might have to give this a shot.

I've got the same problem with Kill Bill Vol. 1! I might have to give this a shot.

Yeah, definitely worth a shot... especially mine, which had 2 of those stupid staple dents.

I had to use a fair amount of force with the q-tip... so don't be surprised when you have to be a little tougher then you might have first imagined with it. :)

Reactions: Nightowl
Can anyone recommend any 3-disc Steelbooks, preferably ones which don't go for super-premium prices? I'm interested in converting my Monsters Inc. jumbo into a slimline but only have extra/ dented copies of Kill Bill Vol. 1 and District 9 (GER), both of which I think are only single disc Steels.

Can anyone recommend any 3-disc Steelbooks, preferably ones which don't go for super-premium prices? I'm interested in converting my Monsters Inc. jumbo into a slimline but only have extra/ dented copies of Kill Bill Vol. 1 and District 9 (GER), both of which I think are only single disc Steels.

I used Flammen Steel arrived damaged and sotre did not request a return

amzon blank steels are G1

I just finished transforming my Monsters, Inc. into a slimline, and wow, what a difference! It's actually a pretty cool Steelbook now. :D

I had a very badly dented District 9 Steelbook and a sealed, mint copy of Ngitmare Before Christmas, so I used those to shuffle some parts. I took the double Blu-ray insert from Nightmare and put it in Monsters, then took the single disc insert from D9 and put it in Nightmare.

Everything went well except I bent Nightmare's spine in three places (I don't think I had the patience to trim off the spine slowly enough).

Now I just need to print up a nice looking spine for Monsters and maybe some inner artwork for the spine as well.

I tried printing a dummy spine with some normal printer paper on my low-end home printer, but I had trouble printing it out in the correct dimensions. I got the width right but the length was maybe 10mm too short.

Any tips on how to print these spines correctly? And what's the best type of paper to use?

Will post pics when I have that spine printed.

Nightowl

I too hate writing on the spines in wrong direction. It also makes it hard for wife & son to find the right movie when it's written in a foreign language so I decided to make my own. Once I got into designing new ones I took some liberties & made them the way I'd prefer them to look rather than just altering the original.

You should be able to download the whole folder HERE or each file individually.

Let me know how it works out.

Good Luck

Thanx must go to Blu-Boy in BBK, jamesaevans & nametag for getting me started.

printsheet310-Fighternew.jpg

printsheetGangsofNewYork-PansLabyrinth.jpg

printsheetPillarsoftheEarth-VanHelsing.jpg

And here's what they look like installed.

2011-09-10120530.jpg

2011-09-10120824.jpg

2011-09-10121303.jpg

2011-09-10122434.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks in part to the number of badly damaged Steelbooks I have been receiving from Amazon.de I ended up with about 8 spare plastic frames. These were 1,2 and 3 disc frames. This gave me a starting point in which to change the frames around and thus get rid of all my DVD and Digital Copies. I plan to make all my FS Harry Potter Steelbooks "Ultimate Editions" and since I have 4 empty 3 disc frames, that will be perfect. Hanna, Karate Kid, FAF5, Scarface, Limitless and Source Code will all become 1 disc SB's which will be perfect as I will have at least 6X 1 disc frames going spare. It all sounds a bit complicated but it will all become clear come November.

---------- Post added at 08:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:16 PM ----------

I too hate writing on the spines in wrong direction. It also makes it hard for wife & son to find the right movie when it's written in a foreign language so I decided to make my own. Once I got into designing new ones I took some liberties & made them the way I'd prefer them to look rather than just altering the original.

Thanx must go to Blu-Boy in BBK, jamesaevans & nametag for getting me started.

printsheet310-Fighter.jpg

printsheetGangsofNewYork-PansLabyrinth.jpg

printsheetPillarsoftheEarth-VanHelsing.jpg

If you can possibly correct the AVP one, I would most definitely be interested in having that, along with a number of your designs. They look superb.

If you can possibly correct the AVP one, I would most definitely be interested in having that, along with a number of your designs. They look superb.

Sure, corrected those & added a couple others. Just PM me if you want the actual files emailed to ya.

Sounds like you have a lot of work ahead with those customs, enjoy the mods.

printsheetWaterworld-Wrestlerpartialnew.jpg

Last edited: