Play.com New SteelBook Packaging Methods

Wreck

Is Here To Serve
Staff Member
Jan 26, 2009
USA
Just a general FYI ....

Your voice has been heard in regards to how steels are packaged and they are working on methods to better protect them in many different ways that I can't go into full details yet.

But once again this is great news for all those living in the UK ordering steelbooks. (and of course for all our group buy participants regarding their titles)

Things are being worked on in this regard, and it's not being taken lightly. No set date as to when you will start seeing this in action. (But it should be well before that insane wave coming in June ;) )

HDN salutes Play for being a company that listens to the consumer community!

Pictures of new packaging (thanks to Jaspar)
package1.jpg

package2.jpg

package3.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
To everyone who are holding onto me saying play are getting 'complacent', I just mean they are varying there packaging too much (but at least they care).

I actually think the packaging is head and shoulders above anything other other retailers offer thats why I order all my steels from Play. Even some of the upcoming non play exclusives like The Warner wave and ghostbusters, evil dead etc I'm getting from play at extra cost just for the packaging.

I love the packaging but wish they would either just use tape to stick the boxes down like they used to (More work for them) or use slightly less strong glue - I'm very worried I might bend a steelbook in half the effort it takes to undo the super strength glue they use to secure the box flaps. Plus - it hurts my fingers :(

I love the packaging but wish they would either just use tape to stick the boxes down like they used to (More work for them) or use slightly less strong glue - I'm very worried I might bend a steelbook in half the effort it takes to undo the super strength glue they use to secure the box flaps. Plus - it hurts my fingers :(

run a sharp knife between the gap, works for me every time, that way the box can be re-used:D

Reactions: Grapey
I swear one day it will take some of my skin with it! The double boxes I've found are easier as I can just rip the whole flap off without touching the glue.

They need to dump the ones with the glue and just use the ones that are taped down. Much easier to open and easier to re-use. They seem to be using a mixture of both for some reason though.

I swear one day it will take some of my skin with it! The double boxes I've found are easier as I can just rip the whole flap off without touching the glue.

I feel that if i ever fall on hard times i'd take a few of these boxes with me when i go on a gem heist or bank raid. These babies will take the skin off your fingertips so they can't dust for my fingerprints!

Just received a parcel from Play.com with three Steelbooks stuffed into one of those double cardboard boxes. Luckily they all look mint and well I can say that I'm very pleased with the contents :)

When the glue is so strong it bends a freaking letter opener(!) u know there must be a problem ._.

it must've taken me 10 minutes of inch by inch prying with said bent letter opener, chunky pliers and my poor red thumbs to open three of these new brown dble boxes ._.

Bring back the original single white boxes please!

When the glue is so strong it bends a freaking letter opener(!) u know there must be a problem ._.

it must've taken me 10 minutes of inch by inch prying with said bent letter opener, chunky pliers and my poor red thumbs to open three of these new brown dble boxes ._.

Bring back the original single white boxes please!
Just open one of these sides, very easy and re-usable.

5djiqe.jpg

Got a single and double packaging from play.com. There is great protection for the steelbooks with the foam, but the double steelbook package didn't fit through the letter box.