Play.com New SteelBook Packaging Methods

Wreck

Is Here To Serve
Staff Member
Jan 26, 2009
USA
Just a general FYI ....

Your voice has been heard in regards to how steels are packaged and they are working on methods to better protect them in many different ways that I can't go into full details yet.

But once again this is great news for all those living in the UK ordering steelbooks. (and of course for all our group buy participants regarding their titles)

Things are being worked on in this regard, and it's not being taken lightly. No set date as to when you will start seeing this in action. (But it should be well before that insane wave coming in June ;) )

HDN salutes Play for being a company that listens to the consumer community!

Pictures of new packaging (thanks to Jaspar)
package1.jpg

package2.jpg

package3.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
While their new idea of using glue to seal the boxes makes it difficult to open them and therefore leads to the packaging being non-reusable in some cases, I'm just thankful that it's actually good enough to protect the steelbooks... that's all that really matters IMO. :)

just had a box today with two steelbooks stuffed inside, no damage but not that impressed. Oh and to everyone winging about the new packaging being stuck all you need is a good sharp knife go along it slowly and you can reuse it no problem, simples

Dunno why some of you are struggling to open the glued down side... my thumb seems to do the trick without tearing.. just takes a couple of goes to get it right ;)

I'm more interested in WHY Play have changed to these bigger boxes? To save them cash? I'm more surprised these aren't printed with the Play.com logo etc ... surely its good advertising for them even when we re-use them? Others who hadn't used them before might do after seeing the box.

Either way, whatever box they decide to stick with i'm a happy chappy... out of all the steels i've ordered i say I've returned what, 3 out of 40? And even then its nothing to do with the packaging, its the morons in the warehouse using a knife to clearly get these out of a box - or just to show their dislike with that particular film ;)

Now what to do with all these boxes...no where to hide them... :)

Had a couple of these new boxes now and none have been glued, both just had sellotape holding the flaps closed.

Cant complain, the foam inside does an excellent job of protecting the steelies and there reusable!

Every packer should be briefed about packing and handling steels carefully, but in any line of work that pays low wage, you get a few who simply don't care.

Hopefully the little bit of extra cost companies like play are giving to their steel packaging is offset with a big % in reduced returns due to damages. In fact, I'd be shocked if their profit on steelbooks wasn't in the long term a lot better than the old flimsy cardboard wrap or jiffy bag approach.

I've had a few double boxes as well.

For the single boxes, I've noticed that a lot of them now use one long bit of foam, rather than 2 small bits. I think the single long one would be better, if only it was about 5cm longer. As it is now, the long end of the steel sticks out of the opening.

I posted off a steelbook myself today, and wedged the foam in place on the bottom, with the foam stuck between the steel and the box at the front and back, but the remaining bit then doesn't quiet cover the top of the steelbook when you close the box as it's too short. If it did, that would be perfect.

Double Sized Boxes

Just to add what Hub said in Post #390.

My Steels came in two of those double sized boxes with flaps glued to close them (hate those).

81b5b021.jpg

Inside each box are two steels seperate by a peice of foam about 1cm wide. Play are getting complacent. Luckily no damges :D

fdf95904.jpg

Inside each box are two steels seperate by a peice of foam about 1cm wide. Play are getting complacent. Luckily no damges :D

fdf95904.jpg

I'm not sure what you mean by complacent, that is about as secure a steelbook packaging as you can get. They even include a slither of foam to separate the 2 steels from hitting each other in the box. I can't believe people are complaining about this packaging.

I'm not sure what you mean by complacent, that is about as secure a steelbook packaging as you can get. They even include a slither of foam to separate the 2 steels from hitting each other in the box. I can't believe people are complaining about this packaging.

I agree. Personally I slightly prefer the single box but nothing at all wrong with these doubles. They're the same thickness, same foam used to sandwich the steel and the foam divider is really neat.

Agreed, give me that packaging for 2 SBs over the types other retailers use anyday.

Agreed, give me that packaging for 2 SBs over the types other retailers use anyday.

That is true, as long as its in some kind of box I'm happy. I don't mind the double boxes, of course I prefer the single ones but as stated before play will be trying to keep the costs down I imagine.