Play.com New SteelBook Packaging Methods

Wreck

Is Here To Serve
Staff Member
Jan 26, 2009
USA
Just a general FYI ....

Your voice has been heard in regards to how steels are packaged and they are working on methods to better protect them in many different ways that I can't go into full details yet.

But once again this is great news for all those living in the UK ordering steelbooks. (and of course for all our group buy participants regarding their titles)

Things are being worked on in this regard, and it's not being taken lightly. No set date as to when you will start seeing this in action. (But it should be well before that insane wave coming in June ;) )

HDN salutes Play for being a company that listens to the consumer community!

Pictures of new packaging (thanks to Jaspar)
package1.jpg

package2.jpg

package3.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Since the new packaging was introduced Ive had 3 deliveries from Play. The first one was 4 preordered steelbooks, all in the new packaging then packed into a big box together. The second one the following week was the same, 4 preordered steelbooks, all packed in the same way as the previous order. Last week I decided to get a copy of Wolverine, so a single order of a title already released...and it arrived in a jiffy bag, thankfully undamaged, but puzzling

My initial thought was maybe the preorders were packed in a different area of plays warehouse to the 'regular orders' so sometimes 'in stock' orders slip the net

Anyhow, I posted a message on Plays facebook page, not a complaint just a heads up to the relevant department and got a message back asking for my order number and it would be 'investigated' ..I assume issuing a memo to the packing department reminding them to use the boxes for steelbooks...

.... that its not all roses & sunshine at Play.com, and that some of you may be in for a rather rude surprise when you get your copies of Jaws, Terminator or Iron man in the near future :ugh:

Hard to believe i wrote this like a week before Iron Man went up for pre-order. and now ofc, it's sold out.

...wonder how many will get their copy in a regular box or jiffy bag?

Well they still seem to be very inconsistent with theyre packaging had 5 steelbooks arrive last week in the below package with absolutely no protection at the bottom and a little bit of bubble wrap at the top :angry:

Thankfuly nothing was damaged (even with the dented in corners) but its not a good way to carry on why make all the effort for the new packaging and then not use it :angry:

116_21cf75_7c73315_oJ.jpg.thumb

I dunno if this has happened with anyone else - but i ordered a load of Alien steels and every 1 out of 3 is slightly ripped? No damage to the steel itself but knowing how fussy some collectors are out there I'm struggling getting rid of them now!

I had that on 2 of my Alien sets or rather the origianl and its replacement which narked me slightly. 3rd was perfect mind.

Lets hope Play restore some sort of consistancy soon. Otherwise that wait during the IM release will be back to the old nervewracking ways of old :ohno:

Well they still seem to be very inconsistent with theyre packaging had 5 steelbooks arrive last week in the below package with absolutely no protection at the bottom and a little bit of bubble wrap at the top :angry:

Thankfuly nothing was damaged (even with the dented in corners) but its not a good way to carry on why make all the effort for the new packaging and then not use it :angry:

116_21cf75_7c73315_oJ.jpg.thumb

They send my 3x steel just like this. Im lucky the box got dent and not the steel:D

Did anyone notice that play switched to a new package that comes with an adhesive flap. It really sucks as the adhesive is so strong that the cardboard doesn't come off easily thus forcing to tear the cardboard, which means you can't safely reuse the package. :angry:

Going to contact Play next week requesting them to either revert to the previous packaging or use cellphone tapes instead of the adhesive as they are easy to cut without damaging the package.

Reactions: dirtyoak
Did anyone notice that play switched to a new package that comes with an adhesive flap. It really sucks as the adhesive is so strong that the cardboard doesn't come off easily thus forcing to tear the cardboard, which means you can't safely reuse the package. :angry:

Going to contact Play next week requesting them to either revert to the previous packaging or use cellphone tapes instead of the adhesive as they are easy to cut without damaging the package.

Ive not had a delivery in the revised new packaging with the adhesive flap, but agree that the old revised packaging is very good to reuse, but to be fair to play their priorities are getting the item delivered to you safely, not worrying about how you reuse the box, Id just be thankful you got your order in a box at all as there still seems to be a lot of us receiving orders in jiffy bags!

I think there will be a few folks biting their nails come August and their delivery of Iron man wondering if it will arrive in a jiffy bag, thankfully I should have enough items shipped together that week (as Iron Man 1&2, Saving Pvt Ryan, Shooter etc are all coming out together) to get my order in a box, so hopefully I dont have to worry...

Unfortunately I had a steelbook arrive this morning from Play.com in a thin jiffy bag which was dented at the corner. They make it such a hassle to send back too. In the comment box I requested that they send out my replacement in a box, I just hope they actually read the comments and not just send it in a jiffy bag again.

KUDOS to Play for moving in the right direction. They are taking the feedback and actually implementing changes.:scat:
Yes, they have some areas for improvement (mainly consistancy) but they are paying attention.:cool:

Just to let folks know I sent a single Steel out to US from a Group Buy of mine in a new play box. Through no fault of the member I transposed some digits so USPS were unable to deliver. It arrived back here in UK today in perfect shape and is now making its third Atlantic crossing. Fingers crossed. :) (I'll be more careful with the cut 'n' paste next time)

Play, why have you downgraded the new packing?

BpCkI.jpg

VxttF.jpg

Azhuk.jpg

NkQqr.jpg

Downgraded new packing in a flimsy plastic bag, but at least i got some form of new packing this time :)

Like someone already said, this gimped version of the new packing is extremely hard to open without damaging the box because of the strong glue used. One of the best things about the old new packing was that they were perfect for reuse, due to nothing being suck down.

And why 2 steels in a box? this sucks for those who buy one to keep and one to trade :( Recycling packing is surely a good part of economical & ecological Steelbook trading, no?

so....
Please return to the original new packing guys, it was perfect!

Last edited:
I got one of those new boxes today. They aren't difficult to open at all. Just slide a knife under the flap, and twist it back and forth slightly as you move it sideways. It opens completely cleanly in a few seconds.

The original boxes were just a first batch with the "this is our new packaging, we hope you like it" printing, whereas these are more generic. Play don't care about us reusing them, and why should they. It's a lot easier for their staff to just peel off the adhesive strip and then stick it down. And as I said, take a bit of care and it's easy to open them anyway.

Play don't care about us reusing them, and why should they.

well, any of our returned steels play.com plan on re-posting will require money spent on brand new packing. Not to mention in the warehouse, i can imagine that the ability to double check the contests of a boxed order without having to open & destroy it could also be beneficial financially....