Play.com New SteelBook Packaging Methods

Wreck

Is Here To Serve
Staff Member
Jan 26, 2009
USA
Just a general FYI ....

Your voice has been heard in regards to how steels are packaged and they are working on methods to better protect them in many different ways that I can't go into full details yet.

But once again this is great news for all those living in the UK ordering steelbooks. (and of course for all our group buy participants regarding their titles)

Things are being worked on in this regard, and it's not being taken lightly. No set date as to when you will start seeing this in action. (But it should be well before that insane wave coming in June ;) )

HDN salutes Play for being a company that listens to the consumer community!

Pictures of new packaging (thanks to Jaspar)
package1.jpg

package2.jpg

package3.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe anyone who receives orders from Play in the near future can keep us updated here on what changes are actually being made to the packaging?

Hats off to Play.com who sent me these. :scat: I'm supposedly going to get some pics next week of how they will pack steelbooks. But you can see the extra care will go for steelbooks, tins, etc.

Sorry Wreck to Wreck your post. Play has used this packaging for Tins and Boxsets for quite some time, but not always as it depends upon who packages these. I recently bought Pacific Tin and it came in a plain Jiffy bag. Batman Anthology and few other boxsets came bubble wrapped inside cardboard packaging. So, this is not something new. The outside cardboard material is flimsy and easily damageable, and I wouldn't recommended play to use it for overseas shipping. Having said that, it doesn't mean that they wouldn't improve their packaging on Steelbooks but just want to make it clear that this type of packaging isn't new.

Sorry Wreck to Wreck your post. Play has used this packaging for Tins and Boxsets for quite some time, but not always as it depends upon who packages these. I recently bought Pacific Tin and it came in a plain Jiffy bag. Batman Anthology and few other boxsets came bubble wrapped inside cardboard packaging. So, this is not something new. The outside cardboard material is flimsy and easily damageable, and I wouldn't recommended play to use it for overseas shipping. Having said that, it doesn't mean that they wouldn't improve their packaging on Steelbooks but just want to make it clear that this type of packaging isn't new.

Fair comment Igans, as I have received items packaged like this before, but I'm assuming that as Wreck has been in contact with Play and they have said they are going to send him pics of the regular Steelbook packaging too that they are making some changes at their warehouse going forward. Play have been paying a lot of attention to what we want and therefore I would think that all future orders on tin box sets etc will be packaged like in the photos in Wrecks post without exception.

I wouldn't expect the Steelbook packaging to be as excessive as on the tin box sets, as it looks more than adequate, but I reckon it's great news with all the waves Play have coming up this year.

One thing that cannot be overlooked either is the condition of the Steel before it goes into the Bubble wrap and packaging as was evidenced by the attrocious Steel I received from Amz.de despite their reformed packaging. I hope, expect and believe we will be pleased with play's efforts.

Definitely a huge big
icon14.gif
for Wreck and play.com.

Fair comment Igans, as I have received items packaged like this before, but I'm assuming that as Wreck has been in contact with Play and they have said they are going to send him pics of the regular Steelbook packaging too that they are making some changes at their warehouse going forward. Play have been paying a lot of attention to what we want and therefore I would think that all future orders on tin box sets etc will be packaged like in the photos in Wrecks post without exception.

I wouldn't expect the Steelbook packaging to be as excessive as on the tin box sets, as it looks more than adequate, but I reckon it's great news with all the waves Play have coming up this year.

Yes, I am aware of the hard work being done by Wreck with Play in the background. More than the packaging, what makes me happy is the pricing, which I believe is good enough to attract even non Steelbook collectors.

Yes, I am aware of the hard work being done by Wreck with Play in the background. More than the packaging, what makes me happy is the pricing, which I believe is good enough to attract even non Steelbook collectors.

Definitely agree with you on that one bud!

I have a few pre-orders waiting so here's hoping when they arrive they are well packaged! My Immortals came in that thin card packaging but luckily turned up dent free!

Hats off to Play.com who sent me these. :scat: I'm supposedly going to get some pics next week of how they will pack steelbooks. But you can see the extra care will go for steelbooks, tins, etc.

Hi Wreck,

Any more news of the steelbook packaging?
I read on AVF that this is supposedly starting as of Mission Impossible 4 despatches (ie next week), any truth in this?

Thanks

Hi Wreck,

Any more news of the steelbook packaging?
I read on AVF that this is supposedly starting as of Mission Impossible 4 despatches (ie next week), any truth in this?

Thanks
Play.com is shipping MI-4 steelbooks. Wait it out and let us suprise. ;)

Got two copies of IM4 coming my way I really hope they're packed well and arrive safely, well I guess we'll find out by end of this week if they've packed them up using their new packaging system.

The voice of reason is telling me not to expect each of my copies to be wrapped in a pillow, the biggest test will be in the condition of the steelbooks when I open them.

I had a Hurt Locker steel from them recently wrapped in loads of foam wrap in that card casing and it seemed perfectly adequate. The SB was well protected too. It had quite a bit of excess card at each end to protect the corners.

Sorry I didn't take any pics but if my MI4's arrive like that I'll be happy. Fingers crossed ;)