PS4 PlayStation 4 - Main discussion thread

Noodles

Super Moderator
Premium Supporter
Feb 28, 2011
UK

In preparation for tomorrow's announcement, Sony Playstation have released a video which looks back at the evolution of Playstation games and how they pushed the boundaries of play with their innovative titles.

You can watch a global livestream broadcast of the PlayStation Meeting this Wednesday (February 20th, 2013) starting at 6:00pm EST, 3:00pm PST and 11:00pm GMT at these links...

US: https://us.playstation.com/meeting2013/
UK: http://uk.playstation.com/meeting2013/

UPDATE:

8492670863_9a2f640988_z.jpg

A press release reveals the machine will include an 8-core 64-bit x86 "Jaguar" CPU developed by AMD and a Radeon GPU with the capability of terrorizing televisions with 1.84 TFLOPS of gaming goodness.

PlayStation 4 includes a Blu-ray drive that spins game discs a brisk 6X and 8X for DVDs. Additional specs in the release note the, already revealed, 8GB of unified GDDR5 RAM along with 802.11n WiFi capability, USB 3.0 ports, Bluetooth 2.1 and ports for optical audio, HDMI and even legacy analog AV hook-ups. Though the console will have internal storage, Sony did not detail its size.

Sony's plan is to launch its new PlayStation 4 console this holiday season. No specific date or price was revealed during the reveal event.

The PS4's main features include:

• - New DualShock 4 controller with built in touchpad
  • - Dramatically improved graphics and processing power
  • - Based on same X86 chips used in desktop computer to help game developers
  • - 3D camera that can track the controller, and the player
  • - Games can also be played on Sony's Vita handheld console

8492669461_b49583fd3c_z.jpg

The future of PlayStation is all about great games and entertainment, and at PlayStation Meeting 2013, we brought some of the brightest and most creative minds from the development community on stage to unveil the games that will define PS4. A partial initial lineup for PlayStation 4 includes first-party games from Guerilla Games (Killzone: Shadow Fall), Sucker Punch (inFamous Second Son), Evolution Studios (Driveclub), and Japan Studio (Knack), as well as titles from our partners such as Activision/Bungie (Destiny), Blizzard Entertainment (Diablo III), Capcom (Deep Down), and Ubisoft (Watch_Dogs). PlayStation also reinforced its commitment to self-publishing and the independent development community by having Jonathan Blow onstage who gave a sneak peek of his upcoming title The Witness. Finally, the incredible minds at Media Molecule and Quantic Dream gave glimpses of their conceptualization process and the future of gameplay with some remarkable footage. We only scratched the surface at the event, and will have many more exciting titles to come.

8493773646_10ac209e68_z.jpg

Our next generation console will change the way you interact with friends while you play. PlayStation 4 lets you instantly share images and videos of your favorite gameplay moments on Facebook with a single press on the DUALSHOCK 4 controller’s “share” button. You can also broadcast while you play in real-time through Ustream, allowing friends to comment or jump into your game in new ways.

With PlayStation 4 we also want you to access your games quicker than ever before. PS4’s “suspend mode” eliminates the load time on your saved game and allows you to immediately return to where you left off by pressing the power button. PlayStation 4’s background downloading and updating capability also allows you to immediately play digital titles as they download, or update the system when the hardware is powered off.

8493772456_34a85b7767_z.jpg

8493772390_9edab1aa58_n.jpg
8493772388_932586c069_n.jpg

DUALSHOCK 4 adopts the familiar form factor of the DUALSHOCK 3 wireless controller with some key enhancements:
  • - Motion control is enabled by a new highly sensitive six-axis sensor
  • - Dual analog sticks fine-tuned for better precision plus improved surface materials and shape for more delicate manipulation
  • - L2/R2 buttons on the top of the controller employ a curved design for easier, smoother interaction
  • - A new “Options” button combines the functions of the DUALSHOCK 3’s “Select” and “Start” buttons for operating in-game menus

You can see more images of the new DUALSHOCK 4 controller here.

Attachments

• PS.png
    PS.png
    54.7 KB · Views: 6,925
Last edited:
We don't know how the fight would have been if Xbox didn't shoot themselves in their face during the E3 conference.

I was so mad at Microsoft with their drm plans etc. So mad, the next day I sold my Xbox 360 and all games. And that while I favor the Xbox.

This conference which backfired everything for Microsoft and cleared the path for Sony to take the win, was the defying moment of th Xbox VS Ps4 struggle.

Xbox cannibalized themselves with their conference and Sony gave their best ever counterattack and conference they have ever given.

Sony pulverized Xbox in every way and left gamers on a high and the public wanted only 1 thing, the PS4. The gamer was conditioned to want the ps4 now and not the drm-disaster of the Xbox one.

Up till today, xbox is paying for their disastrous conference and backfired strategy. It's a lesson, which they have to pay costly.

Fortunately, it went well for Sony, cause the rest of the Sony corporation is failing.

Microsoft have enough money to burn, it was as if this was all meant to be. Sony has an angel or 2 on their backs.

Their camera division is certainly not failing- it's booming. In fact, Sony Corporation are on track to be profitable for 2015 due to strong sales of the PS4 and their cameras.

Reactions: AnubisNefer
Their camera division is certainly not failing- it's booming. In fact, Sony Corporation are on track to be profitable for 2015 due to strong sales of the PS4 and their cameras.
I didn't want to go to details... ;-)

But yes, you are right. They are seeing good numbers after 7 periods of loss. They sold their Vaio Laptop division, made cuts in the Xperia mobile phone line and restructurized their ongoing losing TV division which is finally earning money.

Above that, like you said, their camera division is going well, especially smartphone camera parts and not to mention that at the end of the year they have the James Bond movie Spectre coming up.

But what I meant was at the time of the release of the ps4, it wasn't going well with Sony as a whole.

Sony has announced that its new Vote to Play Service for PSN Plus members will start this Thursday. If you’re a PSN Plus member you can vote either on your PS4 or by going to the PS Plus section of the PlayStation Store website.

vtpla-1.jpg

The winner of this Vote to Play will be added to September’s PlayStation Plus game line-up, while the losers will be discounted when they launch.

Below are your three choices for September’s Vote to Play:

Armello

A grim fairy-tale board game come to life, combining deep, tactical card play, rich tabletop strategy, and RPG elements. Set in a vibrant magical world with a tinge of darkness, Armello thrusts players into an epic struggle for power as they quest, scheme, explore, vanquish monsters, perform the mad king’s royal edicts, and face off against other players, with one ultimate end goal in mind — storming the palace and becoming King or Queen of Armello.

Grow Home

You play BUD (Botanical. Utility. Droid), a robot on a mission to find the Star Plant and save his planet. Discover a strange open-world: a planet of floating islands, with precipitous drops, caves and waterfalls to navigate, all rendered in a minimalist but beautiful art style. Grow the giant Star Plant and use your unique climbing abilities to reach ever higher ground, but be careful as you ascend because one wrong move and it’s a long way down!

Zombie Vikings

From the creators of last year’s indie hit Stick It to The Man! comes a new co-op, four-player stab-you-in-the-gut-a-thon with a dead-funny adventure. Hack through the boiling gingerbread swamps of Molgaga, take a cruise through the intestines of the Midgaard Serpent, fight giant troll poultry, and find out how Söccer was really invented.

So after less than a month of use, my silver controller has some minor discoloration to one part (can upload images if anyone really wants to see lol). I expected it to happen at some point (due to the silver paint), but not this soon.

I contacted Amazon to see if they could swap it, but they had none in stock (as my PS4 was a warehouse deal)...so they refunded me £60 so I could buy a new controller, so my PS4 has now ended up costing me only £228.

So that has been my only issue with my Arkham Knight PS4 edition so far. I was planning on buying a new controller anyways, either a red one or a 20th Anniversary edition

So after less than a month of use, my silver controller has some minor discoloration to one part (can upload images if anyone really wants to see lol). I expected it to happen at some point (due to the silver paint), but not this soon.

I contacted Amazon to see if they could swap it, but they had none in stock (as my PS4 was a warehouse deal)...so they refunded me £60 so I could buy a new controller, so my PS4 has now ended up costing me only £228.

So that has been my only issue with my Arkham Knight PS4 edition so far. I was planning on buying a new controller anyways, either a red one or a 20th Anniversary edition
Sorry to hear that mate, but it's great that Amazon refunded you. :thumbs:

The PS4 controllers are the worst... the rubber on my left joystick started to peel after only a few weeks of me buying it, and then the R2 trigger suddenly snapped off a few months ago, so I bought a replacement trigger which has also now come loose. I obviously need to buy a new controller, but I'm very reluctant to pay £40 just for the same thing to possibly happen again. :sour:

Reactions: Tacozilla

The PS4 controllers are the worst... the rubber on my left joystick started to peel after only a few weeks of me buying it, and then the R2 trigger suddenly snapped off a few months ago, so I bought a replacement trigger which has also now come loose. I obviously need to buy a new controller, but I'm very reluctant to pay £40 just for the same thing to possibly happen again. :sour:

I didn't expect amazon to give me a £60 refund lol as its purely cosmetic.

I heard about the rubber on the sticks coming off, so I stuck thumbgrips on them (batman ones of course :LOL:)

I do like the textured back on the PS4 controller, does make it feel less slippy. The trigger issue is something I haven't heard of though. The controllers don't seem to drop in price much, same happened with the PS3 controllers (which are only now dropping in price)

I am still enjoying my PS4 though, working my way through Dragon Age Inquisition at the moment :thumbs:

Reactions: Noodles
I didn't expect amazon to give me a £60 refund lol as its purely cosmetic.

I heard about the rubber on the sticks coming off, so I stuck thumbgrips on them (batman ones of course :LOL:)

I do like the textured back on the PS4 controller, does make it feel less slippy. The trigger issue is something I haven't heard of though. The controllers don't seem to drop in price much, same happened with the PS3 controllers (which are only now dropping in price)

I am still enjoying my PS4 though, working my way through Dragon Age Inquisition at the moment :thumbs:
Amazon are brilliant when it comes to refunds/replacements... they gave me something like 20% off my Breaking Bad barrel set just because the plastic packaging (not actually a part of the item) it came in had been smashed. Can't complain! :D

Yeah, the rubber thing is a well known issue... I'm still annoyed that they never really addressed it and/or dealt with it. I have some thumb grips now too, but I'd rather not have to use them because they feel strange to me for some reason lol.

Don't get me wrong, I think the controllers are amazingly designed and they feel great in hand... they're just pretty poorly made overall. I feel like I've done nothing but moan about the PS4 on here lately, but trust me... I love the console and wouldn't trade it for anything!

Hope you're having fun with Dragon Age anyway mate... I never picked that one up because I was still hooked on Destiny at the time of its release. :p

Hope you're having fun with Dragon Age anyway mate... I never picked that one up because I was still hooked on Destiny at the time of its release. :p

I will be getting Destiny the Taken King Legendary...version...thing at some point. I have about 10 games for my PS4 (not including the PS+ titles), I am slowly working my way through them. I will probably start Tomb Raider when I finish Dragon Age (played it many times on PS3 and PC, first time playing it on PS4), I really enjoyed Tomb Raider and it was only £10 for the PS4 version

I will be getting Destiny the Taken King Legendary...version...thing at some point. I have about 10 games for my PS4 (not including the PS+ titles), I am slowly working my way through them. I will probably start Tomb Raider when I finish Dragon Age (played it many times on PS3 and PC, first time playing it on PS4), I really enjoyed Tomb Raider and it was only £10 for the PS4 version
I'm actually taking a break from Destiny until Taken King is released. As much as I enjoyed Tomb Raider, I'm not sure I'd want to replay it... although, for £10, I probably would be tempted lol. Sounds like you're pretty busy anyway mate. Gaming has slowed down for me lately, but that'll soon change... Taken King, AC Syndicate, Fallout 4 - it's going to be a very busy few months for everyone, and I can't wait!

You can get some kontrol freekz to stick to the thumbsticks. I even opened my controller, bought xbox one thumbsticks and swapped them.

Since they are made of plastic, they don't break off. ;-)

I guess, quality wise, the first batch was the worst, but to be honest, my launch controller is still perfect. (I have 2). So I guess you were just unlucky mate.

• Helpful Post
You can get some kontrol freekz to stick to the thumbsticks. I even opened my controller, bought xbox one thumbsticks and swapped them.

Since they are made of plastic, they don't break off. ;-)

I guess, quality wise, the first batch was the worst, but to be honest, my launch controller is still perfect. (I have 2). So I guess you were just unlucky mate.
I already have some mate, but I find the grip on them to be kinda weird... I might get another set with different grips at some point though. Hmm I guess it just depends how heavy handed you are with the controller when playing and how often you actually use it... some guys in my clan have had the same issue, while others haven't. I could do with a second controller anyway, so I guess I'll just buy a new one and see how it goes.

I already have some mate, but I find the grip on them to be kinda weird... I might get another set with different grips at some point though. Hmm I guess it just depends how heavy handed you are with the controller when playing and how often you actually use it... some guys in my clan have had the same issue, while others haven't. I could do with a second controller anyway, so I guess I'll just buy a new one and see how it goes.

Yea it does seem to vary, I was watching youtube videos about this yesterday some thumbsticks broke within a week :confused:

I have got into the habbit of using thumbgrips on my controllers, but yea I think some people are more heavy handed when it comes to controllers, or maybe it's the games they play that need harsh movements on the sticks...I dunno

Gamestop UK and Amazon UK seem to be the cheapest place for controllers at the moment (though Gamestop's stock levels are awful!)

Yea it does seem to vary, I was watching youtube videos about this yesterday some thumbsticks broke within a week :confused:

I have got into the habbit of using thumbgrips on my controllers, but yea I think some people are more heavy handed when it comes to controllers, or maybe it's the games they play that need harsh movements on the sticks...I dunno

Gamestop UK and Amazon UK seem to be the cheapest place for controllers at the moment (though Gamestop's stock levels are awful!)
Damn, a week? That ain't good! Surprised Sony got away with it if it started happening that close to release. o_O

Maybe that's my problem... I haven't given them a proper chance and just need to get used to them. That's probably exactly what it is... both times my R2 trigger broke is while I was playing Destiny lol (once during a Raid, and then the other week when I had a quick game on Crucible).

I saw somewhere selling the official controllers for £30 a few months back, but I wasn't desperate for one then and still couldn't really afford it anyway. I hadn't thought to check Gamestop before, but I see they're currently selling them for £33.47... think I may have to bite at that price. Cheers dude! :thumbs:

I saw somewhere selling the official controllers for £30 a few months back, but I wasn't desperate for one then and still couldn't really afford it anyway. I hadn't thought to check Gamestop before, but I see they're currently selling them for £33.47... think I may have to bite at that price. Cheers dude! :thumbs:

Gamestop's stock levels are a bit weird, they go out of stock and in stock very often. So if it's out of stock when you want to order, just wait a day or so and it will be back in stock.

• Helpful Post
@Noodles maybe you are interested you can test the new update for PS4 you can sign up if you want i did ! Details of some features have leaked too more info here
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-08-20-ps4-gets-its-own-preview-program
Cool! I'd be wary about taking part though... I've heard stories of some firmware updates bricking people's consoles or causing other issues -- the PS Store has never worked properly for me since one of the earlier updates, and same goes for the friends list of someone I know. :ohno:

Reactions: luke98
Cool! I'd be wary about taking part though... I've heard stories of some firmware updates bricking people's consoles or causing other issues -- the PS Store has never worked properly for me since one of the earlier updates, and same goes for the friends list of someone I know. :ohno:
yep I've heard that too, if i get in i will wait to hear from other people see if its working fine you know just in case :ohno:

yep I've heard that too, if i get in i will wait to hear from other people see if its working fine you know just in case :ohno:
Haha yeah, don't allow yourself (or your PS4 for that matter) to become one of their guinea pigs... let others do it first. :p

Reactions: luke98