PS3 Information Thread (for that news that doesn't quite fit anywhere else)

Apr 17, 2009
San Diego, CA
I decided to make this thread so I could post information if a company just makes a single announcement that isn't anything concrete on a single game.

That way there's not 100 useless threads started, that are never replied to... :) :)

Last edited:
Haha. Yeah. Gotta be 17. I remember one time at walmart they asked, only cause the register wouldn't sell the game without swiping someones ID to prove they were of age. But now it just asks and they never bothered me lol.

Activision's Mike Griffith resigns

Mike Griffith, CEO and president of Activision Publishing, has reportedly resigned from his position with the company, effective from April 23.

Despite this, GI.biz reports that Griffith will remain with the firm in his new capacity as vice chairman of Activision Blizzard. Here, his role includes "participating in board of directors and chairman of the board meetings and other internal strategy sessions; providing counsel to Activision Blizzard's executive team; and providing services on key initiatives and projects, as requested by the CEO".

It remains unknown as to whether or not Griffith’s resignation was in any way related to the current legal battle between the firm and members of Modern Warfare developer Infinity Ward.

David Jaffe and his new project won't be at E3

Eat, Sleep Play’s David Jaffe has revealed that he will not be attending this year’s E3 convention in Los Angeles – which means we won’t be clapping eyes on his new PlayStation 3 game at the show, either.

Writing on his Twitter, Jaffe stated, “Well I assure you 100% that is not accurate. If my game would be at E3, I would be there. ALSO we are NOT making that game."

"I will say this about the list: makes me excited for E3! Even tho I'm watching it from my home, I can't wait already!!!!",

Not much is known about Jaffe’s new title, though the general consensus seems to be that it’s going to be a next-generation entry in the Twisted Metal franchise. Still, with Jaffe remaining tight-lipped, it’s really anyone’s guess as to what he’s got up his digital sleeve.

Bungie Coming to PS3! Maybe Halo one day...

With a potentially $625 million lawsuit filed against Activision by Infinity Ward employees this week, it didn't seem possible events surrounding the publisher could get any more dramatic. Then, this morning, Activision announced it had locked down one of gaming's top developers for a decade-long exclusivity deal.

Expect to see the Activision logo next to this through 2020.

Under the terms of the agreement, the studio behind the heralded Halo series has allied with the Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 publisher for "an exclusive 10-year partnership to bring Bungie's next big action game universe to market." The deal will give Activision exclusive international publishing rights to all future Bungie games based on an unnamed new property through 2020.

According to Activision COO Thomas Tippl, Bungie's "new intellectual property" will be available on "all platforms"--including the PlayStation 3. Sony Computer Entertainment America corporate communications chief Patrick Seybold backed it up with a Twitter post, saying, "Marrying [Bungie's] creative minds and incredible talent to the power of PS3 will be like giving PS3 fans Halo on steroids."

The multiplatform move marks an end to the suburban Seattle studio's current Xbox 360 exclusivity. Since 2001, Bungie has effectively developed Halo games solely for Xbox platforms, farming out the PC port of Halo: Combat Evolved to Gearbox Software (Borderlands) and Halo 2 for Windows Vista to an internal Microsoft Game Studios team.

Activision Blizzard COO Thomas Tippl and Bungie president Harold Ryan.

Microsoft Game Studios had been Bungie's exclusive publisher, as Microsoft owned the studio until 2007. That year, the shop stunned the industry by breaking away from the Redmond, Washington-based software giant to become an independent shop. Reps for the studio have previously said that it is working on an all-new game and that Halo: Reach will be its last Halo title.

Microsoft continues to own the Halo IP, and recently formed an entire internal division, 343 Industries, to manage and develop it. Following the deal, it gave the following statement after the Activision deal was announced: "Our partnership with Bungie as a first-party developer for Xbox 360 remains unchanged, and right now we're deeply engaged with them on the development of Halo: Reach, which is poised to be the biggest game of 2010."

Today's announcement underlined the fact that Bungie will remain an independent studio and retain ownership and control of its new IP, with Activision providing publishing duties and (presumably) financing. Those terms sound eerily reminiscent of the arrangement struck between Electronic Arts and Respawn Entertainment, the indie studio recently formed by fired Infinity Ward heads Jason West and Vince Zampella.

To hear Tippl discuss the deal--and literally say "let's kick EA's ass!"--check out the video press below. (Video starts at 1:04.)

New graphics chip makes the PS3 profitable

When the PlayStation 3 launched in 2006, Sony’s system was packed full of cutting-edge technology. The result? A $600 USD price tag. However, even with such a daunting cost, it was estimated that Sony lost anywhere from $250-$350 with every system sold.

According to a PocketNews article, Sony’s four-year-old console is finally starting to turn a profit on each unit sold thanks to an updated RSX graphics chip. These new systems feature a couple hardware improvements that make it both cheaper and more power efficient.

The models (SKU CECH-2100A) utilize a smaller cooling unit and heat-sink, allowing the system to operate using approximately 15% less power than its predecessors.

Sony hasn’t officially said much about their new systems, but they did confirm that the new chip is based on smaller, more cost-efficient 40-nm technology.

Sony: Bungie deal is "a big win"

Sony has added its two pence on yesterday’s earth-shattering 10-year deal between Activision and Halo developer Bungie, labelling the move as “a big win for gamers worldwide.”

Speaking in a statement over night, the hardware manufacturer commented, "The partnership between Bungie and Activision is a big win for gamers worldwide," the statement reads.

"Combining Bungie's creativity with the incredible power of PlayStation 3 will add serious muscle to action gaming. We look forward to extending Bungie’s 'next big action game universe' with PS3 users."

The deal secures Activision the rights to publish all material related to Bungie’s new IP across multiple formats and devices, with the game itself already said to be well in development.

Lightsaber game could appear on Move

If you’re like us, a fan of both Star Wars and video games, then it’s probable that you’ve gotten excited about the prospect of a lightsaber game that’s actually good. Think about it; one-to-one motion replication, usable force powers with a secondary controller, the ability to play as Jedi or Sith, and possibly even multiplayer duels? What’s not to like?

Wii developers have had plenty of time to design such a game. Sadly, the closest thing we’ve gotten was the Clone Wars: Lightsaber Duels title.

In a recent interview conducted by MCV, LucasArts CEO Darrell Rodriguez discussed the possibility of a lightsaber title being developed for use with Sony’s Move, Microsoft’s Natal, and, strangely enough, the iPad.

“I’m very excited by the new interfaces, either Natal, Move or iPad. It’s something we’re definitely watching and we will consider in the future. The regular suggestion of a lightsaber game is one of the reasons why we are excited about it – but we’ll keep looking at it and see what we can do. No commitment to talk about now, though.”

While it’s a far cry from an official confirmation, it’s nice to know that the idea at least has a pulse.

New graphics chip makes the PS3 profitable

When the PlayStation 3 launched in 2006, Sony’s system was packed full of cutting-edge technology. The result? A $600 USD price tag. However, even with such a daunting cost, it was estimated that Sony lost anywhere from $250-$350 with every system sold.

According to a PocketNews article, Sony’s four-year-old console is finally starting to turn a profit on each unit sold thanks to an updated RSX graphics chip. These new systems feature a couple hardware improvements that make it both cheaper and more power efficient.

The models (SKU CECH-2100A) utilize a smaller cooling unit and heat-sink, allowing the system to operate using approximately 15% less power than its predecessors.

Sony hasn’t officially said much about their new systems, but they did confirm that the new chip is based on smaller, more cost-efficient 40-nm technology.

Nice! The RSX was one of the most expensive pieces inside the PS3 I am glad to see them making improvements.

Greatest Playstation Exclusives of All Time By Genre

It's no secret we gaming types love to make lists, be it the annual Game of the Year Awards or a simple countdown of our most memorable video game characters. We reward the titles that stand out from our childhoods and recount our experiences with fellow gamers the same way a film critic would gawk about how they sat in awe the first time they watched Star Wars, or a food critic the moment he'd discovered something entirely new. Lists have become quite commonplace these days, but as copious and derivative as they may be, they are vital to expressing our homage to the games we hold near and dear. And well, until some genius comes along and creates the Video Game Hall of Fame (dibs!), another list will just have to do. I chose the following category because, unlike most other lists, mine remains exclusive to titles found only on Playstation consoles throughout the years. With the exception of the PSP, you will find titles from the PSX era through the modern day (don't worry PSP fans, you are not forgotten). Note: Titles of the same series will not appear twice per genre. So without further ado, I give you the Greatest Playstation Titles of All Time.

Action/Adventure:
PSX: Resident Evil 2
PS2: Shadow of the Colossus
PS3: Metal Gear Solid 4

Winner: Resident Evil 2 (PSX)
By all accounts the most acclaimed Resident Evil title by the gaming community as a whole, RE2 ramped up the intensity of the series while vastly improving upon every element of the original. Boasting the look and feel of a Hitchcock film, players navigated Chris and Claire Redfield through the crumbling streets of Raccoon City armed to the teeth fending off zombies, lickers, and lest we forget, dogs which broke through windows at the most unexpected moments. A classic.

Role Playing Game:
PSX: Final Fantasy VII
PS2: Persona 3: FES
PS3: Valkyria Chronicles

Winner: Persona 3: FES (PS2)
Blasphemer! I know, I know. Few will doubt the greatness of Final Fantasy VII -- it's easily one of my favorite games and will always hold a place in my heart as a title that introduced me to the world of RPG's. But while FFVII made me fall in love with the genre, Persona 3: FES reintroduced me to it with one of the most addictive gameplay mechanisms yet conceived. Rather than place you on a preconceived course, Atlus's title does away with linearity and allows the player decide his or her own fate through social links, or establishing friendships with the games numerous characters. A tough decision to be sure, but Persona 3: FES is the best Playstation exclusive RPG of all time.

Platformer:
PSX: Ape Escape
PS2: Jak and Daxter
PS3: LittleBigPlanet

Winner: Jak and Daxter (PS2)
The second of Naughty Dog's revered franchises, Jak and Daxter retained the lightheartedness of the Crash Bandicoot series while venturing into darker territory. It was not only a maturation of character, but of the development studio as a whole, and the momentous leap in quality from PSX to PS2 would only be outdone by another Naughty Dog franchise which will appear a bit later on the list. Jak and Daxter is a marvelous achievement and should be a part of all Playstation fans' libraries.

First Person Shooter:
PSX: Medal of Honor
PS2: Timesplitters 2
PS3: Killzone 2

Winner: Medal of Honor (PSX)
Right around the time Goldeneye 007 made its booming arrival on the gaming scene, another smaller known title made its debut on Sony's little gray wonder – Medal of Honor. Sure, it didn't quite sport the graphics of its N64 counterpart nor did it give console players the online capabilities of Unreal Tournament or Quake, but it gave them the next best thing: an excellent single player adventure which paved the way for one of the industry's most revered franchises.

Action:
PSX: Syphon Filter
PS2: God of War II
PS3: Uncharted 2: Among Thieves

Winner: Uncharted 2 (PS3)
Some might think Nathan Drake couldn't hold a candle to Kratos and Sony Santa Monica's God of War series, but in this gamer's humble opinion, it eclipses it completely. Uncharted 2 is the complete package, and will not only be remembered as one of the best action titles on the Playstation 3, but as an achievement in storytelling, brilliant gameplay and art direction in all games for years to come. Give Naughty Dog a new piece of hardware, and you can bet the farm they'll give you something special in return.

Fighting:
PSX: Tekken 3
PS2: Virtua Fighter 4 Evolution
PS3: Naruto: Ultimate Ninja Storm

Winner: Tekken 3 (PSX)
Namco's crowning achievement in the fighting genre. Tekken 3 offered a level of fan-service reminiscent of Nintendo's recent Super Smash Brothers Brawl. Featuring a staggering list of playable characters, game modes (Tekken Ball Mode, anyone?), addictive gameplay and visuals which at the time seemed impossible, the third installment of the beloved franchise still stands apart as one of the greatest fighting games of all time. Never before had so much content been packed onto a single CD-i. Wasn't it wonderful when DLC wasn't required to receive the full enjoyment of a game?

Racing:
PSX: Ridge Racer Type 4
PS2: Gran Turismo 3
PS3: Wipeout HD

Winner: Gran Turismo 3 (PS2)
Though somewhat disheartened by the lack of a true Gran Turismo sequel on the Playstation 3, when it comes to auto racing games few franchises can claim a following as vast and as loyal as Polyphony's flagship racing series. The sequel to the Plasystation's most acclaimed racing title left the original engine essentially unchanged, but added a plethora of remodeled cars and new tracks. With the advent of the Playstation 2, Polyphony successfully moved Gran Turismo to the new system in a way that showcased the graphical prowess of the system while maintaining the balance and sheer fun of the previous games.

Open World:
PSX: Driver
PS2: Grand Theft Auto 3
PS3: Infamous

Winner: Grand Theft Auto 3 (PS2)
In a way, it was as if Rockstar took the handcuffs off gamers' wrists and told us, “Go ahead, go do whatever the **** you want.” We obliged. No matter your moral viewpoint, there is no denying that Grand Theft Auto 3 was a momentous achievement many gamers never believed possible. From its sandbox-style gameplay to its signature violence, GTA3 took a style all its own which dozens of imitators have yet to match.

Sports:
PSX: NFL Gameday '98
PS2: Hot Shots Golf 4
PS3: MLB 10: The Show
Winner: MLB 10: The Show (PS3)

Flight Simulation/Combat:
PSX: Colony Wars
PS2: Ace Combat 5
PS3: Warhawk
Winner: Colony Wars (PSX)

Puzzle:
PSX: Super Puzzle Fighter II
PS2: None
PS3: Echochrome
Winner: Super Puzzle Fighter II (PSX)

Developers Shift To Leading On PS3

We speak to the world's leading devs to discover why the PS3 is taking over as the lead of choice...

Portal 2 has been announced and we’re rather disappointed, but not surprised, that a PS3 version of Valve’s sequel to the show-stealing Orange Box game has been conspicuous by its absence. Valve has long said that it finds PS3 development too difficult and cumbersome to be cost-effective and for a long time many developers agreed. Again and again the ease of moving from the last generation of hardware or from PC development to Xbox 360 meant that the PS3 got a ported version, often to the detriment of the final product. Valve it seemed was right. The PS3 and its unique Cell processing architecture was simply too hard to make games for.

However, times have changed. With the release of games like LittleBigPlanet pushing what is believed to be possible in terms of user-generated content and Killzone 2 and Uncharted 2 pushing back the boundaries expected from videogame graphics, the PS3 began to come into its own. That’s all well and good from first-party developers backed by Sony money and expertise, but the independent and third-party game developers are also beginning to reap the benefits of PS3. Shinji Mikami’s Vanquish has been confirmed as using the PS3 as its lead platform and EA is following suit with the development of its Medal Of Honor reboot.

“The hardware of the PlayStation 3 offers a much higher capacity - Yoshinori Kitase”

According to Final Fantasy XIII producer Yoshinori Kitase, the challenge that the PS3 sets developers is an exciting one of just how far they can push themselves. “When you talk about graphics you can see immediately that the hardware of the PlayStation 3 offers a much higher capacity and is much more powerful,” he told NowGamer, comparing PS3 with Xbox 360. “With regards to designing the game everyone knew that the highest limit of what we could achieve graphically couldn’t be much higher. That made it difficult to set our target of where we should be reasonably happy or satisfied with what we had produced. Is our aim high enough or should we be going even higher?”

But a fear of coming up short or not being able to fulfil expectations wasn’t the reason many shunned the PS3 at first. That had more to do with the configuration of the hardware. BioWare’s Ray Muzyka insisted that the only way to approach the PS3 was to embrace its differences and then it would open up to you. “Well, you know every platform has its pros and cons and they’re all challenging in different ways,” he explained to us. “The interesting thing about approaching a new platform like PlayStation is that it’s very powerful and it’s just different from anything else. You have to embrace that and make sure that you’re fully aware of the technology differences and make use of all the strengths of the platform.”

For Crytek, currently making Crysis 2 for PC, PS3 and Xbox 360, that meant a completely new engine and in places a new way of thinking. “Since we started developing CryEngine 3 we always knew it was going to be a cross-platform engine and so immediately started thinking about how to minimise the dedicated work for PS3 while still being able to run our codebase at full PS3 utilisation,” said Crytek’s lead PS3 programmer Michael Glück told NowGamer. “Therefore we developed a system in-house making the very different build and deployment process for PS3 as ‘PC like’ as possible to give all developers the feeling that it is not as complicated a platform to develop on as most people thought.”

So, like a lion tamer, Crytek has managed to contain the PS3 to be approachable and predictable for its development team. While there had been rumours that the original Crysis was going to come to PS3, Glück insisted that the old engine simply couldn’t have done the game justice on the vastly different PS3. “The re-factoring, along with some very important technical changes like Deferred Rendering and a new shader system were definitely necessary to get it working at the quality level we always want to achieve,” he explained.

So power alone clearly isn’t all that much good if you can’t utilise it, but bending the PlayStation 3 to your will isn’t the only way to get the best out of it according to Brink developer Splash Damage. Its creative director Richard Ham revealed to us that the PS3 completely changed the way his company approached game development across the board. “To get the most out of the PS3, we’re required to split our code into lots of separate jobs that can be spread around among the Synergistic Processing Elements (or SPEs), and this is kind of contrary to the more traditional approach to game coding,” he told NowGamer. “However, we’ve decided to adopt this practice as our standard for all our platforms, so in the end, there’s no real difference between the three for us.”

But like Crytek, Splash Damage needed to make the PS3 work for it a little, too, and once a hook was found that the development team could latch onto the whole system began to open up. “Because id Tech 4 was Mac compatible, there was some PowerPC code in there that we could utilise,” Ham revealed to NowGamer, referring to the id Software engine Splash Damage has been using since developing Enemy Territory: Quake Wars in 2007. “And since some of the Mac PPC code optimisations worked well for PS3, it gave us a little bit of a head start.”

It‘s not always that simple, though, particularly if you’re using your own engine that wasn’t designed with the PS3’s technology in mind and there was a lot of sympathy from those we spoke to for developers who have struggled with the platform. “You have to spend lots of effort to get code running on the Synergistic Processing Units (SPUs) properly if you don’t want to stick entirely to third-party solutions,” said Glück. “A lot of knowledge is required to achieve a top-looking and fast-running cutting-edge game on PS3. A straightforward port from PC is almost possible for Xbox 360, but can’t be done on PlayStation 3.”

Ham also feels the pain, but has come to believe that it’s essential as the PS3 is leading the way to the future of game development. “There’s been a learning curve, but we feel it’s worth it in the end,” he said. “Multi-core development is the future. It’s not impossible to imagine PCs with 24 cores in them within the next few years, so we figure, why not get going with it now?”

Price was also an issue in the past, with the prohibitive cost of consoles scaring developers away from expending effort on a console with a limited user base. “I personally don’t think there’s much difference between developing a game on PS3 or Xbox 360 any more, but I think it used to be quite difficult partly because the machine was so expensive,” Square Enix producer Yosuke Saito told us. “But it’s not expensive any more so it’s not an issue.” Ray Muzyka was equally dismissive of the price concerns that once dogged the PS3. “I think it’s a huge opportunity with the pricing changes, now the platform is definitely on the upswing and there are some great games coming,” he enthused. “We’re planning to work more on it. We haven’t announced any future projects, but I’d love to see more BioWare games launch on PS3.”

EA develop on PS3, then port for the first time in Medal Of Honor.

The best news for PS3 owners is that while developers are finally getting to grips with the console and producing games like Uncharted 2, Heavy Rain, FFXIII, Brink and Crysis 2, this is still early days for the life cycle of the hardware and the best could well be coming. “It’s amazing what developers have done so far, but we haven’t seen all that the PS3 is capable of,” said Richard Ham. “By comparison, just look at the last PlayStation generation. Shadow Of The Colossus came out near the end, and no one could have predicted such a thing of beauty in the early days of the PS2 life cycle. The same thing is true for PS3. Killzone 2 and Uncharted 2 are incredible milestones, but there’s still more to squeeze out of the big black box!”

And the so-called PS3 haters at Valve could well be gearing up for a push on the platform with the recent discovery that a number of key Naughty Dog staff have joined the Half-Life developer in recent years. Could this small band of rebels be the springboard of expertise Valve has needed to make a proper stab at PS3 development? We’ll be keeping our fingers crossed that they are.

Top 30 Games of 2010.

top-30-retail-individual-SKUs.png

500x_ninsales2.jpg

Last edited:
PS3 sales on the rise while PSP & PS2 suffer decline

Sony Corporation has reported significant losses in its Networked Products & Services Division for the 12-month period ended March 31, 2010.

Sales of the division – which hosts the hardware manufacturer’s PlayStation and VAIO PC business – fell 10.2 percent to £11.6 billion, while operating loss reduced by £31.5 million to £609 million.

PlayStation 3 came out on top for the year, with annual sales rising from 10.1 million to 13 million units, while software sales rocketed 115.6 million.

Unfortunately, things weren’t so rosy on the PSP front, with sales of Sony’s slab dropping from 14.1 million to 9.9 million, while software declined from 50.3 million to 44.4 million.

Likewise, PS2 also experienced a performance slump, with hardware sales down from 7.9 million to 7.3 million, and software sales suffering a massive blow, dropping from 83.5 million to just 35.7 million.

Speaking on these findings, Sony commented, “Sales in the game business decreased mainly due to unfavourable foreign currency exchange rates, decreases in unit sales of PSP hardware and of PS2 software.”

"This decrease was partially offset by increased unit sales of PS3 software, driven by the expanded PS3 platform as a result of the launch of a new model."

I decided to change the name of the thread to try to draw more attention. And so that there's not 100 useless threads started, that are never replied to...

Some information just doesn't require it's own thread.
;)

I decided to change the name of the thread to try to draw more attention. And so that there's not 100 useless threads started, that are never replied to...

Some information just doesn't require it's own thread.
;)

Most of the time people don't reply because we have 15 active users in this place. Right now I don't think we need to keep the front page insanely clean, as most people don't check this thread multiple times a day to see the random news posted in it.

Me and Wreck have gove over this before, just create a new thread so people can see the information. if it belongs in another thread, then merge it in a couple days/week, or just leave it otherwise. We aren't big enough as a forum to be doing this.

PSN-exclusive movie to premiere (UK only?)

The PlayStation Network will get its first exclusive film when 'Heartless' hits the PSN and cinemas simultaneously on May 21.

Jim Sturgess and Noel Clarke star in the dark psychological horror, written and directed by British director Philip Ridley (The Reflecting Skin, The Passion of Darkly Noon).

The story follows Jamie, a troubled young man who lives in the East End of London, an area notorious for its violent hooded gangs.

The thugs appear to have started to wear demon masks, but Jamie discovers that they actually are demons would you believe?!

PSN Video Delivery Service members will be able to rent an exclusive edition of Heartless, and download it directly to their PlayStation 3 or PSP from £5.99.

The exclusive edition includes Dynamite Sky a 25 minute bonus feature covering the Making of Heartless.

Most of the time people don't reply because we have 15 active users in this place. Right now I don't think we need to keep the front page insanely clean, as most people don't check this thread multiple times a day to see the random news posted in it.

Me and Wreck have gove over this before, just create a new thread so people can see the information. if it belongs in another thread, then merge it in a couple days/week, or just leave it otherwise. We aren't big enough as a forum to be doing this.

This works just fine...I'd rather see this than multiple threads about identical information.