PS3 Slim News Megathread

Jan 29, 2009
The number of E3 rumors are starting to escalate, and we're starting to wonder if gigantic announcements will be in abundance at the show...

As most of you are aware, a new PSP - quite possible the PSP Go! - will be unveiled during Sony's press conference, but that may not be the end of the new hardware announcements. According to PlayStation LifeStyle, a new iteration of the PlayStation 3 may be headed our way soon. We have no idea what sort of alteration one can expect; as the site says, it may just be new colors like the Matte Silver or the Ceramic White. We're actually expecting that anyway, as the silver and white Dual Shock 3 controllers will soon be arriving at retailers nationwide. But the other possibility is a slimmer, lighter PS3, which is a rumor that has been circulating for quite some time (take a look at the launch PS2 and the current Slim PS2, for instance). It's just that the word "redesign" could mean almost anything so at this point, the imagination's the limit... We don't believe it'll be a whole new model with different features and a bigger hard drive, but you never know; they might introduce one so as to issue a price drop. That's what we really want.

Well, it's just another bit of speculation that will run wild for the next few weeks. At the very least, it'll keep people talking, right?

The pictures just have top by itself the bottom is in the last pic. now put those two together, it looks the same, but much smaller, kinda cool, I want to see it put together, but this maybe the Polystation 3 from China.. idk..

gaf seems to believe. with "confirmation" from some of their "insiders"

cant really tell by those images, but it almost looks as tall as the current PS3 (if you stood both them up), just not as wide (i.e. slimmer).

one of the cooler things about the ps2 slim was not only that it was slimmer, but a great deal smaller in all aspects. and if thats plastic, then thats a bummer.

like i said, ill believe it when i see it, but those pictures are pretty indicative.

Sony's Response....

These are the rumoured pics of a new slim PS3 that are said to have leaked from a production line in a Chinese factory.

The shots show the matt black outer shell of a skinnier version of the console, complete with a slots for the Blu-ray disc drive, USB ports, and PS3 branding on the top and bottom (but not in the same Spider-Man-style font). There's even a shot of the box, with all the PSN logos and a label indicating a 120GB internal hard drive.

Quite specifically Sony told us: "We don't know anything about the system in the photos."

The unit in the snaps, posted on a now-removed thread in a Famitsu Chinese forum (via 1Up) look fake as you like, if you ask us.

It's cheap-looking plastic and odd logo remind us more of those knock-off console imitations common in those parts of the world (remember the Vii?), probably packing a few dozen emulated Atari 2600 games.

Sony yesterday told CVG: "We currently don't have any plans for a redesigned PS3".

source: computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=214986

Another turn-of-event...

Chinese site, LevelUp apparently had what it claimed to be pix of a new, slimmer, PlayStation 3. Those images (see them on the left) have now been removed.

Obviously these could have been removed because the site was embarrassed about having such obvious fakes up. On the other hand, of course, the fabrication plant in China for the new PS3 could have sent the cops around and ordered that the images of a prototype or even new PS3 be removed this close to E3.

Bearing in mind that even The Financial Times is now calling PS3 price cut...

"In its video game business, Sony forecast a 29 per cent increase in sales of the Playstation 3 console, from 10.06m last year to 13m this year.

"Given the fall in PS3 sales since Microsoft cut the price of its rival Xbox 360, that will be taken as a clear signal that Sony intends a price cut of its own later this year."

And these images could be more indicative of a newer, cheaper, console. Of course, they could also be the idle fakery of someone who appears to love truly ugly machines.

source: spong.com/article/17945/New_Slim_PlayStation_3_Pix_Torn_Down

hmmm, so that could be a ps3 slim version. but based off of what i said before about how it doesn't look that much smaller, this could just be the cheaper model of a ps3 ala the price cut rumors flying around.

yea i'm really hoping it's fake just cause i like my consoles to be shiny and classy. i'll be all for it if they throw on a coat of clear gloss.

yea i'm really hoping it's fake just cause i like my consoles to be shiny and classy. i'll be all for it if they throw on a coat of clear gloss.

i'd rather it didn't collect fingerprints and dust tho. i'll take non glossy

1g0w3r.jpg

They sent out a cease and desist of the images posted on the forum... Hmmm

Here is some more for you.

3509 : Alex_Hsieh : 2009/05/14(木) 19:06:22 ID: - | E.../yutori2ch.blog67.fc2.com/blog-entry-332.html

2mwrx91.jpg

Game Of Honor would like to confirm after contacting with Sony, That they are not working on any slim versions of the Playstation 3. Sony also stated "Although it's something we would consider, but it's to early to tell".

So there you have it. It's a bit disappointing but seriously who didn't see this coming?

source: gameofhonors.blogspot.com/2009/05/sony-no-slim-playstation-3yet.html

i dont know why they would lie. just to get a few more hits only to get all their credit stripped from them by an announcement at E3 two weeks later?

either Sony is lying to them or they are right. i just don't think sony is lying this time. why kill all the hype so close to E3?

i dont know why they would lie. just to get a few more hits only to get all their credit stripped from them by an announcement at E3 two weeks later?

either Sony is lying to them or they are right. i just don't think sony is lying this time. why kill all the hype so close to E3?

Why confirm the biggest thing to hit the world only mere weeks away?