10934397-1397756244-831911.jpg

10934397-1397756244-832015.jpg

10934397-1397756244-831787.jpg

Attachments

• thumb.jpg
    thumb.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 387
Last edited:
Even if you have worked in the industry, unless you have done so specifically for Zavvi or one if the other steelbook retailers then it's entirely speculation. Saying that Zavvi HAVE to take certain art seems unlikely when we can all see that the same film gets released in multiple countries with different art, extra discs, lenticular sleeves, postcards etc. I'm not going to debate the merits of those things as I know they are worthless to some people - but Zavvi could choose to add these things if they wanted to.

Likewise if they are given a take it or leave it policy to steels then how are much smaller companies able to get the same studios to sign off on unique releases? Kimchi is basically a one man band (not holding them up as a perfect retailer here - just an example) and yet they produce good products with different art and sleeves etc. you're saying they have more sway than Zavvi? Seems unlikely.

Plus the stock levels of the product is less up for negotiation with steelbooks. As it's common knowledge that a 4k print run is the minimum, and when companies sell less than that the same copies seem to turn up at another retailer abroad. If anything the shift by Zavvi to these 2k runs shows that they must have some sway - as a lot of the 4k runs weren't shifting until heavily discounted so now they offer lower quantities at a higher price to drive demand. That would have been Zavvis call (based on how their steels to date have performed) rather than the studios. Would every studio simultaineously tell Zavvi to only stock 2k copies (which is what has happened recently) seems unlikely.

I suspect that Zavvi could argue against the art choices more often than they do, but I've no doubt their hands are tied in some cases, but they still have the final say about whether to sell any product - as it's not like they have much uk based competition when it comes to steelbooks.

another factor might be that zavvi doesnt want to risk the privileges they obviously enjoy in certain areas (print run or being the first address for studios) by fighting too much about the artwork.. again, this would only additionally increase their cost for no good business reason (their item sells out - everythings fine)

i dont think that kimchi has more influence over the artwork, rather that they specifically pick movies where theyre granted more freedom when it comes to artwork & extras

Last edited:
I really think that Zavvi are now in the mindset that 2000 copies is a good amount to sell. They must know how many they sell of each Steelbook and the lower the print number the more people will buy. Nearly all low print Steelbooks will sell out at the moment because people will buy duplicates to sell on eBay. I think this will soon go the way of Entertainment store where all there first releases sold out but now they sit there because of the price. What will happen is that people will stop buying these at £19.99, they won't appear on eBay so much as they won't sell out and Zavvi will have to rethink their prices. I can't see Zavvi worrying too much at the moment about the artwork if their titles are selling out.

I've got an idea. How about Zavvi just do one or two steelbooks limited to 2000 copies per month? That way it won't seem to be excessive and they'll still be a sense of fun in steelbook collecting. Now, it's starting to become the norm, but what they don't realise is this 2000 copy bandwagon is starting to wear thin and eventually nobody will bother and wait for a price reduction just the 4000 copies.

But enough with reading figures already. I just want the steelbook, and I really like the art so far. So quantity aside, I'm in.

Horrible art-work, IMO. Not worth a purchase at all. It was unlikely I would get this anyway as I have the four film Lionsgate set with slip, but this is really bad art... it could have been better for sure. The poster art would have been better than this... also, the inside artwork being black and white of that still, eh... it's not the best design.

The front looks more scary movie than scream. They should have kept in simple just the ghost face mask with embossed red title. Also spot gloss on mask & title.

I first saw this (without cover art) when going through Zavvi's steelbooks and I was like "WOW! Scream steelbook, yeah!". Now when I see the cover art, well... it's not THAT bad, but... I think I'll skip it :squint:

Last edited:
Reactions: kaworu nagisa
Not sure about this one, think they could have done better, really dislike the way they wrote the title on the front too.

Last edited: