The Exorcist (1973) - 50th Anniversary (4K+2D Blu-ray SteelBook) (HMV Exclusive) [UK]

paulboland

Contributor Steels/Arrow
Contributor
Premium Supporter
Sep 10, 2012
Navan/Ireland
Release date: September 18, 2023
Purchase link: HMV
Price: £24.99

TE_50A.jpg
TE_50A (open).jpg TE_50A (inside).jpg

Last edited:
Looked like a spot gloss title from the quick video I saw. No? Just matte?
So looking at it again I think her eyes are spot glossed (lol) which is as ridiculous as the hostel steel with the tiny spot glossed knife. The title looks like it’s a metallic sheen in the light but feels semi spot glossed (When you run your finger over it) so maybe that is but it’s a different kind of spot gloss if so. Even with the tiny eyes you see the gloss shine in the light. Not so much with the title but it feels it. Very weird I know

Anyway very disappointed with this. Kinda happy it arrived with a dent. Money saved and I’ll keep both my orders for the amazon edition and the slip with this art. I’ll keep whatever I prefer in hand and whatever’s not damaged on arrival lol. I think this art might work better as a slip anyway because colours might work better especially if there’s a gloss or pearlescent finish to the slip

So looking at it again I think her eyes are spot glossed (lol) which is as ridiculous as the hostel steel with the tiny spot glossed knife. The title looks like it’s a metallic sheen in the light but feels semi spot glossed (When you run your finger over it) so maybe that is but it’s a different kind of spot gloss if so. Even with the tiny eyes you see the gloss shine in the light. Not so much with the title but it feels it. Very weird I know

Anyway very disappointed with this. Kinda happy it arrived with a dent. Money saved and I’ll keep both my orders for the amazon edition and the slip with this art. I’ll keep whatever I prefer in hand and whatever’s not damaged on arrival lol. I think this art might work better as a slip anyway because colours might work better especially if there’s a gloss or pearlescent finish to the slip
Baffling implementation haha plus side, any spot gloss means a gloss base, matte ontop. So it's always a lovely smooth and streak free finish. Yeah exactly, r.e the slip. I feel it'll work better there. I picture it having a finish like the red universal IB slip.

The steelbook in the deluxe is a different steelbook anyway.. so it doesn't make any difference. The US is only getting this art, not the theatrical art steel in the deluxe/collector's editions.
Yeah I know but I think all UK steels for this movie are matte so just saying hope US is not glossy and better finish lol

I never said I 100% read it. I said I thought I read it meaning I’m probably very hazy on that info and I’ve confused something with something else. Getting it in hand 4 hours ago has confirmed that for me. F**k me
We only now confirm that @Flloydo does not have eidetic memory, and like the rest of us, rely on vague recollections, false memories and above all written post it notes (when arsed) :rofl:

It does suck that this was screaming out to be gloss and nothing less, oh well.

Yeah I know but I think all UK steels for this movie are matte so just saying hope US is not glossy and better finish lol
We'll probably get stiffed haha i think Floydo just said this one is very lightly spot glossed though, better than nothing I guess.

I'll be pleasantly surprised if the one in the collector's/deluxe is glossy. There's a lot of black on there, so fingers crossed for some spot gloss too, rather than bacon fat streaks :censored:

Reactions: nekromantik
We'll probably get stiffed haha i think Floydo just said this one is very lightly spot glossed though, better than nothing I guess.

I'll be pleasantly surprised if the one in the collector's/deluxe is glossy. There's a lot of black on there, so fingers crossed for some spot gloss too, rather than bacon fat streaks :censored:
It was already confirmed the SteelBook with original artwork in Collector's and Deluxe edition is a Matte Finish
Also confirmed by HDN forum member who works for Warner he is managing The Exorcist 50th Anniversary 4K launch for the UK he also posted the reason why the SteelBook is not using a gloss finish

Collector's Edition
  • Theatrical and Director's Cuts in 4K UHD and Blu-ray, with an additional Special Feature Blu-ray
  • Rigid Slipcase with new Key Art
  • Steelbook with Matte Finish
  • Double-Sided Theatrical Poster Reproduction
  • Double-Sided Lobby Card
  • 40-Page Booklet
  • 3x BTS Art Cards
  • 3x Iconic Scene Art Cards

It was already confirmed the SteelBook with original artwork in Collector's and Deluxe edition is a Matte Finish
Also confirmed by HDN forum member who works for Warner he is managing The Exorcist 50th Anniversary 4K launch for the UK he also posted the reason why the SteelBook is not using a gloss finish

Collector's Edition
  • Theatrical and Director's Cuts in 4K UHD and Blu-ray, with an additional Special Feature Blu-ray
  • Rigid Slipcase with new Key Art
  • Steelbook with Matte Finish
  • Double-Sided Theatrical Poster Reproduction
  • Double-Sided Lobby Card
  • 40-Page Booklet
  • 3x BTS Art Cards
  • 3x Iconic Scene Art Cards
I had a feeling it did. Boo

The discs in the SteelBook are stacked on the hubs as expexted due to been 5 discs
Left Hub 2 Discs (Theatrical Cut) 4K + Blu-ray
Right Hub 3 Discs (Extended Directors's Cut) 4K + Blu-ray + 40th Anniversary Special Features Blu-ray disc

My HMV order has been delivered to my AddressPal address this morning
I should have delivery at some stage next week when An Post get the parcel from AddressPal

There is a unboxing video on YouTube but not that great of a video as it's mostly his face lol and he does not remove the discs

There will be better unboxing videos in next few days

I will also have the standard amaray with slipcover (4 discs Edition) delivered by Amazon on Monday
So will be watching in The Exorcist in 4K on Monday
The standard amaray release don't use stacked discs

Got mine today, great service to get it here next day. I'm more than happy with this, I mean £25 for a 5 disc 4K + Bluray steelbook is almost unheard of these days. I'm glad this isn't glossed as well, would have been a scratch and fingerprint magnet due to the dark image.

If Studio canal released this they'd be charging £40 or more like their scandalous Wicker Man - 4 disc Steelbook releasing soon..

Glad i ordered two, as per usual sent the last order i did hours after the first when they came back to order yesterday. Such a bad practice but seems some places do this, later orders get sent first.

Utterly pathetic! Seriously? Collectors on here for years actually think WB were doing gloss????? Lmfao! If it's WB it's matte!! This was always a matte release, Twitter confirmed it months ago.

Utterly pathetic! Seriously? Collectors on here for years actually think WB were doing gloss????? Lmfao! If it's WB it's matte!! This was always a matte release, Twitter confirmed it months ago.
In fairness, they sometimes release full gloss steelbooks like the Joker WWA steel or the US WWA steel for Wonder Woman 1984. Even the recent Superman 4K steels were gloss. In this case, it was wishful thinking.

In fairness, they sometimes release full gloss steelbooks like the Joker WWA steel or the US WWA steel for Wonder Woman 1984. Even the recent Superman 4K steels were gloss. In this case, it was wishful thinking.
HMV's The Flash is also gloss.

While there is reasoning behind WB's decision making, it often feels like there isn't.

Reactions: MM3