Release date: April 7th, 2014
Purchase links:
Amazon.co.uk
Base.com
Zavvi.com

10919321-1392808199-221750.jpg

Actual pictures, thanks to ricster:
UK - The Hobbit - The Desolation of Smaug

All images can be clicked on for a closer view. They are all high res and can be viewed at full scale.

kQL8qyM.jpg

kP9869b.jpg

mUAetCb.jpg

MWBpyji.jpg

DbT2dfg.jpg

b6plmls.jpg

Below are shots to help show the finishing on the steel.

HDN EXCLUSIVE SHOTS
---------------------------

wHCLeQL.jpg

ePN01PZ.jpg

q8M6nn6.jpg

EmfkIF8.jpg

HDN EXCLUSIVE FINISHING SHOT
Extremely close up shot to help show you the paint job

PHedins.jpg

SqjWRQX.jpg

TCjJ5kh.jpg

0orf8VF.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
O Joy! another steelbook that insists on telling us thats it a 3D as big as possible on the front!
Also considering its called the Desolation of Smaug might be nice to have a picture of the Dragon on the front!! just a thought!
will skip this and wait for an extended release.

---------- Post added at 12:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:13 PM ----------

£35 can't be right, surely?

normally Zavvi but a high price on all releases and then drop it and put on the page 'save £££' when you are still probably paying more than elsewhere just saving money on the stupid high price they first list it at!

Just for once, I'd like Warner to stop putting the 3D logo on the cover. Use the J-card, that's what they're designed for.

The first one wasn't 3D upon initial release, and the rerelease was a jumbo steelbook. This one won't match either of those. I see WB have done their usual trick of putting the 3D Blu-ray logo on the spine at the top and the regular Blu-ray logo at the bottom, another way to stop the spines from matching.

As for the price....

Reactions: Ataneruo and lolwut
I like the artwork, no bad. I hope the price will go down. So April 7th is the release date? The extended version i bet will be in September release ;)

Zavvi €44.09 EEK! EEK! EEK!

That's some Placeholder Price or its Half Price :hilarious:

4 Discs

2 3D Discs
1 2D Disc
1 Extras Disc

I will wait until Amazon go live

Last edited:
To be fair, he wasn't on the cover of the first UK steelbook.

I guess WB are simply going for one character per release at the beginning. That said, you're right, he's hardly in this one.

Indeed, the first official steelbook had Bilbo on the cover, but after that all releases had Gandalf.

"You shall not pass....on getting this steelbook"

It looks nice enough, and I enjoyed the movie. Ill wait for more info and possible pictures before buying though

£35!?!?! EEK! Was gonna get it for the mrs but I don't love her THAT much... :hilarious:

If it helps it on base.com for £ 21.99 with free delivery so not that bad as it is still not up for preorder with amazon.co.uk at this time and if its less at amazon then stop the order at base.com but with shipping on it to at amazon.co.uk i think this is going to be the best deal hope this helps if you are going to preorder it.;);)

Reactions: BradG1984