The Official "Netflix USA" Service and News Discussion

digitalbabe

Premium Supporter
Apr 12, 2009
USA
I didn't want to thread-jack Glen-Bob's Canada thread, so I started another. Please merge if I am duplicating with another general USA Netflix thread.

Feel free to discuss Netflix in general in this thread.

And for now, I have a specific question-

Is there any rhyme or reason to how long things stay streaming? For instance, I've heard some people are starting to get rid of TV seasons because they are streaming. Do they eventually become unavailable again, or once they stream they stream? There seem to be some instances where there is some expiration date. Been a NF member for almost 10 years and we use streaming regularly. But before I chuck some old DVD's, I want to be sure, I don't have 1 hr, 43 min, 21 secs to watch 7 seasons of Xena:)

Thanks all,
DB

Wii streams disc-free today. Per Engadget HD. Also added to Wii area.

It's not just the PS3 that will be doing its Netflix streaming disc-free from today: the Wii is joining in the fun as well! Americans and Canadians alike will be able to download and install Netflix from the Wii Shop Channel, provided they've signed up for a subscription of $8.99 (C$7.99 in Canada) or above. Notably, over three million Wii consoles are said to have been hooked up with Netflix since the service launched back in April, and this step should make that number grow even larger. Only question is what we're all going to do with those three million redundant discs now. We can't turn them all into coasters, any ideas?

Goodguy-I must be doing something wrong. Streaming on Wii has always looked awful (1080p TV, connected with original cable). Did they do something to the streaming quality, too, to improve it? I know for PS3 they do, just was not sure if they had for Wii, too?

Chris just downloaded on PS3 and it's friggin' awesome!! Found Blue Mountain State on there Jorge! :D And one of my old fav's Veronica Marrs, will have to watch that with the kids. A ton of great shows!! :oohyeah::oohyeah::oohyeah:

---------- Post added at 09:12 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:11 AM ----------

Will be nice to finally see some of the WB/CW shows I've loved in good quality. That network sucks for sound and picture.

i have netflix for 9 years now and counting, and use stream every single day! they have excellent HD movies and tv seasons to stream.. Just watched all seasons of nip/tuck by stream in 10 days in HD..

Netflix streaming has a GREAT collection of indie/foreign films that just need to be seen but isn't getting recognition.

And thanks to my PS3 & Netflix for getting me into Dexter. What a great show.

Yeah I know I just got the damn email too. Effective January 1, 2011. I have a 3 disc at a time, looks like I will have to downgrade to 1. I am not paying an extra 4 dollars for it. Blu-rays are still short and take long time to wait for them.

Comcast & Netflix are at each other's throats...

Per Philly.com

"
New Netflix product pits Comcast vs. Level 3

By Jeff Gelles
Inquirer Staff Writer
Netflix stirred buzz last week by offering its customers a chance to bypass both its traditional DVD-rental business and its cable-TV channels: For $7.99 a month, subscribers could use a broadband Internet connection and stream movies or TV shows directly to their home computers or televisions.
Now, Netflix's new business model has erupted into a very public fight pitting Comcast Corp., the nation's largest broadband company, against a little-known but leading provider of so-called Internet backbone services, Level 3 Communications, which handles Netflix content.
Level 3 says Comcast wants to install a "toll booth" at the edge of its network to limit the impact of potential competitors. The Colorado company says it is fighting to protect the Internet as a level playing field for companies such as Netflix that want to use it to deliver content or applications of users' choice.
Comcast calls the battle an "old-fashioned" commercial dispute between two large companies that handle and exchange large volumes of data traffic. The Philadelphia company says Level 3 is trying to "disrupt the settled economics of Internet traffic to meet its new business plan."
Elevating the dispute's profile is its timing in the midst of two major dramas that feature Comcast as a lead player.
One is its proposed takeover of NBC Universal, which awaits approval by the Federal Communications Commission and the Justice Department. The deal would give Comcast control of a vast array of valuable content from NBC's fabled television network, its popular cable channels, and Universal Studios.
The other is the debate over a set of Internet-management principles known as "net neutrality," which would bar network owners from blocking, prioritizing, or disfavoring Internet data based on its content or origins.
A key decision by the FCC on net neutrality could come later this month, analysts say. Open-Internet advocates have been pushing Chairman Julius Genachowski to adopt strong neutrality principles, against staunch opposition from Comcast and other network owners.
Some net-neutrality advocates said the Netflix dispute, like the NBCU merger, illustrated market risks that arise when an Internet service provider also controls vast amounts of video content.
"If Netflix wants to reach Comcast customers, they have to go through Comcast - there's no alternative," said Derek Turner, research director at Free Press, a nonprofit media-policy group. "We need a cop on the beat to have the ability to intervene in these kinds of disputes on behalf of consumers."
The details of the fight between Comcast and Level 3 were themselves in dispute Tuesday, after days of back-and-forth statements over the fees Comcast has been seeking.
"By taking this action, Comcast is effectively putting up a toll booth at the borders of its broadband Internet-access network, enabling it to unilaterally decide how much to charge for content which competes with its own cable-TV- and Xfinity-delivered content," Level 3 said. "This action by Comcast threatens the open Internet and is a clear abuse of the dominant control that Comcast exerts in broadband-access markets as the nation's largest cable provider."
Comcast responded with a blog post from senior vice president Joe Waz, who said Level 3's position was "simply duplicitous."
In a letter Tuesday to the FCC, Waz rejected arguments that the dispute was about anything other than ordinary negotiations between two network owners that exchange data via a relationship known as "peering" - a relationship Comcast said was changing because Netflix would soon bring a large influx of traffic.
"Despite Level 3's effort to portray its dispute with Comcast as being about an 'open Internet,' it is nothing but a good old-fashioned commercial peering dispute, the kind that Level 3 has found itself in before," Waz wrote. ". . . This is not about online video, it is not about 'paid prioritization,' it does not involve putting 'toll booths' on the Internet, and it is not about net neutrality."
Netflix declined to comment on the dispute. But Level 3 officials accused Comcast of doing the distorting.
John Ryan, Level 3's chief legal officer, said more data always flow from content and application providers toward end users than in the opposite direction. He said Comcast was using an expected increase in data requested by its own customers as an excuse to impose a toll, indirectly, on Netflix.
"I can't guess what their motivation is. But the result of their action is that it ends up favoring their own proprietary content and applications and disfavoring competitive content and applications," Ryan said.
Level 3 "chose to go public reluctantly," Ryan said. "We thought it was important for policymakers to understand that Comcast not only had the means, the motive, and the opportunity to discriminate, but that it, in fact, was doing so."

Read more: http://www.philly.com/philly/busine...t_pits_Comcast_vs__Level_3.html#ixzz16xf7dRHl
Watch sports videos you won't find anywhere else"

Yeah, this #^&@ storm has been all over the news. Interesting dilemma indeed, and I'll be staying tuned to watch how it all shakes out. We love our subscription, and with Cable going head to head with the different streaming providers, it will get worse before a "center" can even be found...

Warner denounces Netflix streaming, per Home Media Mag:

"Time Warner Inc. CEO Jeff Bewkes wasted little time denouncing Netflix streaming and others as “experimental animal” with poor business models for movies and repurposed television programming.

Speaking Dec. 6 at an investor event in New York, Bewkes said Netflix’s $7.99 monthly platform undervalues episodic programming for national and regional syndication, in addition to disc sales.

“It doesn’t make sense for our networks to license shows to a subscription service that isn’t paying close to the value of those programs,” Bewkes said. “Simply put, large aggregation and low price is not a particularly useful thing for consumers or content creation.”

Warner Bros. Television is one of the largest producers of episodic programming on network, cable and syndication, including more than 40 series currently on air.

Indeed, Warner recently commanded $2 million per episode for syndication rights to “Big Bang Theory.”

Netflix, Hulu and other online content aggregators threaten to erode that lucrative landscape. Netflix streaming primarily caters to repurposed TV shows, with more than 50% of its 17 million subscribers watching at least 15 minutes of content per month.

Bewkes characterized Netflix as a “utility” service with value for secondary content not destined for more lucrative channels and distribution windows. For example, Warner recently licensed to Netflix all episodes of “Nip/Tuck” when the former FX series couldn’t be sold for more money in syndication.

“Basically [Netflix streaming] should be things that don’t have further monetization in a window on a pay-TV network, basic cable network,” he said. Bewkes would prefer making repurposed Warner content available on demand on cable, satellite, and online.

The CEO said it doesn’t make economic sense to offer movies to Netflix streaming when there are alternative channels such as HBO, Showtime and Starz will to pay significantly more.

Bewkes characterized as “measly” recent reports Netflix was willing to pay upwards of $100,000 per episode for primetime TV shows.

“If it was true that a bid from a subscription service was incremental money to be added to an unchanged, unreduced bid from a big buyer [pay-TV licensor], then you might have a conflict,” he said. “But the fact is, it wasn’t higher and it is not sustainable.”

He said studios will begin to charge more for rights as technology and consumer awareness of alternative platforms increases. Bewkes said there is not a conflict between the interests of the networks and the interests of the studios regarding Netflix or other services. He said content holders are trying to sell episodes through all the windows with the highest economic result.

“Netflix will have to buy all the rights [for all windows] — not a sliver,” Bewkes said. “What everyone needs to stay clear about is, what is the economic role for service that tries to have a lot of stuff on a subscription basis for $8 to $10 bucks a month versus an entire TV dial [of content]?”

Separately, Bewkes reiterated he wouldn’t mind revisiting the 28-day window for new release movies to the kiosk and subscription channels, which expire in a year.

“I don’t know if that is the right length,” he said. “It might well be later if that physical product is going to go into a subscription service. It absolutely could change.”

"

The whole Warner thing is really too bad. Just when people are opening up to the idea of cheap television greedy companies come out just to ruin everything. On a side note Disney's new deal is awesome! great shows coming to my queue.

P.S. I despise Grey's Anatomy but I am sure my gf will add the entire show to the queue. It's going to be a long holiday season....ugh.:rolleyes:

Ahaha, Horhay. You know I was in a focus group for Disney for a few months, and one of the things many people, including myself said there, was that we need more "channels" added to existing services, not more "new" ones, like Warner is trying to launch. A Disney offering via Netflix is a great move for everyone involved, because it provides more options, and Disney can reach via their streaming, a massive installation base. Not sure if you had seen it, but they also launched their own service, and despite the fact that many people in the focus group were huge Disney fans, they just seemed tired by all of the "splintered" solutions. A "catch all" whispers "lack of options", but at the same time it also provides more content. I wonder how long it will be, however, until the $7.99 all streaming plan Netflix offers goes up in price, and or/a "premium" set of options is presented as an "add on" (like Cable,and anything else). Still, Netflix is a great option for me, and I'll stay tuned to see what they do next.

What do you mean....you don't want to watch McSteamy and McDreamy?

LOL

;)

Yeah I was having that discussion a few months ago with a co-worker. I see it like this. The consumer wants more for less and the studios want the same and there's no middle ground. So yes expect premiums at some point as their customer base increases, it is the most logical route. It needs to happen in order to net more studios and pay the licensing fees to studios.

The show is just plain dumb IMO, I've been forced to watch before while I update the site. It just seems like too much drama and everyone banging everyone. Just pointless endless cycle with a wanna sentimental end note about life.....

LOL-yeah, I've never seen a single ep, but some friends watch it religiously, haha.

Yep, my comments included an implied foregone conclusion of hiked fees-Netflix has shelled out an enormous amount of capital to be "the first to the gate"-no way they won't try to let that trickle into our monthly fees. To tell you the truth, I am ok with an increase, as long as it means my access is increased and the quality of streaming and customer service is not permanently impacted. The whole thing with Amazon jumping into the fray, and Netflix, Hulu, Vudu and the cable companies battling it out is just part of the convergence of media delivery we're all familiar with. Amazing how Netflix's price was was in the $20's years ago...and look at it now. Not the only story of that type, but still pretty cool.