The Pianist (Blu-ray SteelBook) (Zavvi Exclusive) (WEA) [UK]

Wreck

Is Here To Serve
Staff Member
Jan 26, 2009
USA
2k run

Release Date: September 15th (was 11 August 2014)

£17.99

Buy link: The Pianist (Sold Out!)

The Pianist.jpg

Attachments

• thumb.jpg
    thumb.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 272
Last edited by a moderator:
Well if they do there will most likely be some very tasty British and European classics to look forward to - I'm not complaining, we can pick and choose after all :)

As for this automatically being inferior to the Kimchi - if they do it right, like Brave, etc., then Kimchi can save their slips and artcards, and I'll save about £30 in postage and import duties, VAT, etc.

How do you save £30? My pianist cost £26 total inc shipping. If this Zavvi one cost around £18, it's only £8 cheaper.

Queue the asian army trying to convince themselves and everyone else that their one is better and more exclusive despite it more than likely being the same steelbook sans the flimsy cards that cost 4p to produce!

To me it's all about bang for the buck. I would rather pay a few extra dollars to have the flimsy cards as you say, plus a lenticular slip cover, a numbered card. For a few dollars less, I can get this one, but when you're talking around the same price range, who wouldn't want more for their money?

How do you save £30? My pianist cost £26 total inc shipping. If this Zavvi one cost around £18, it's only £8 cheaper.

Secondary market would potentially incur all of those extra fees, as well as the scalper mark up on the set itself.

---------- Post added at 06:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:35 PM ----------

I agree but if this is the standard StudioCanal affair, it won't come close to matching the Kimchi edition purely in terms of the Steelbook itself.

We'll have to wait and see, but it would be in Zavvi's interest to either take heed of or plain rip off the Kimchi steel design.

I dont think this will even come close to Kimchi's. Its just Studio Canal jumping on the Kimchi bandwagon.

Unless SC seriously improve the quality of their steels i have no interest in this. Im not forking out £18 for a steel that has had no effort put into it. I know we havent seen the art yet and not had the finish details but thats just my two cents.

Im tired of getting ripped off hoping that the finish will be great and it turns out dudd.

I dont think this will even come close to Kimchi's. Its just Studio Canal jumping on the Kimchi bandwagon.

Unless SC seriously improve the quality of their steels i have no interest in this. Im not forking out £18 for a steel that has had no effort put into it. I know we havent seen the art yet and not had the finish details but thats just my two cents.

Im tired of getting ripped off hoping that the finish will be great and it turns out dudd.

Rush was up there with the best steels of 2013 to be honest. If SC play their cards right, this has certainly got potential to be up there.

Reactions: pmwhelan and Kizza
Secondary market would potentially incur all of those extra fees, as well as the scalper mark up on the set itself.

---------- Post added at 06:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:35 PM ----------

We'll have to wait and see, but it would be in Zavvi's interest to either take heed of or plain rip off the Kimchi steel design.

Yes, if you buy from the secondary market, but most on here haven't. We paid £26 and for what we got that is great value for money.

Not so fussed about the Zavvi release for pianist as i'm really happy with my kimchi release and plus i consider there steelbooks the best in general anyway...

No, I know this, but some people missed out and are forced to look at the secondary market.

True enough, but the post of Jack's that I replied to did not mention the secondary market and he was talking about import fee's etc, to me that was indicating that he was buying direct, because if he was buying from fleabay he could buy one from his own country. Just an observation.

True enough, but the post of Jack's that I replied to did not mention the secondary market and he was talking about import fee's etc, to me that was indicating that he was buying direct, because if he was buying from fleabay he could buy one from his own country. Just an observation.

Fair point. I was just (not very clearly) expanding the wider point about why it's good certain retailers don't have a monopoly on certain titles in my honest opinion.

Queue the asian army trying to convince themselves and everyone else that their one is better and more exclusive despite it more than likely being the same steelbook sans the flimsy cards that cost 4p to produce!

I don't have to convince myself of anything. I don't care how much they cost, I enjoy those "flimsy cards." And I can't believe that you're going to pay £18 for a steel that cost about £3 to produce!

Also why is everyone still talking like this is the same steelbook as kimchi? The title says WEA.

Buy whichever version you like. I won't try to convince you of anything; it sounds more like you're trying to convince yourself.

All the hardcore collectors know Zaavi releases blow away the Asian :hidefninja: releases. ;)

Well if they do there will most likely be some very tasty British and European classics to look forward to - I'm not complaining, we can pick and choose after all :)

As for this automatically being inferior to the Kimchi -
if they do it right, like Brave, etc
., then Kimchi can save their slips and artcards, and I'll save about £30 in postage and import duties, VAT, etc.

Brave was so very, very wrong. :p

I don't have to convince myself of anything. I don't care how much they cost, I enjoy those "flimsy cards." And I can't believe that you're going to pay £18 for a
steel that cost about £3 to produce!

Also why is everyone still talking like this is the same steelbook as kimchi? The title says WEA.

Buy whichever version you like. I won't try to convince you of anything; it sounds more like you're trying to convince yourself.

I'd like to see proof of that claim....

If this information would arise before Kimchi versions announcement then for sure I would be pleased and I would like to buy zavvi version. But I'm happy that it did not happen, and that the Kimchi release was faster. Now I feel indifferent about this information, because Kimchi versions are perfect in all terms even price, it cost me £10 more than the suggested zavvi price but the content is not comparable. I'm sure that zavii even not come close to Kimchi version, and if they copy or release steelbook with similar artworks to Kimchi it will only provide a lack of their creativity. For me zavvi version may be even more limited than kimchi version, even to 100 copies, regardless of this I prefer the product quality over quantity (low number). This will be only good opportunity for those who do not bought Kimchi versions nothing more.

Reactions: Marina Blue
If this information would arise before Kimchi versions announcement then for sure I would be pleased and I would like to buy zavvi version. But I'm happy that it did not happen, and that the Kimchi release was faster. Now I feel indifferent about this information, because Kimchi versions are perfect in all terms even price, it cost me £10 more than the suggested zavvi price but the content is not comparable. I'm sure that zavii even not come close to Kimchi version, and if they copy or release steelbook with similar artworks to Kimchi it will only provide a lack of their creativity. For me zavvi version may be even more limited than kimchi version, even to 100 copies, regardless of this I prefer the product quality over quantity (low number). This will be only good opportunity for those who do not bought Kimchi versions nothing more.

To be fair, Zavvi isn't about creativity. First and foremost they're about profitability. If they released the same steelbook design as Kimchi I would be happy to buy it, even though I can objectively admire the craftsmanship of what Kimchi are doing. Some people don't necessarily need all the bells and whistles that come with Kimchi releases, or need something to be individually numbered. That's where Zavvi come in and in my opinion do a good job. It's good for collectors and for the market in my honest opinion.