The Pianist (Blu-ray SteelBook) (Zavvi Exclusive) (WEA) [UK]

Wreck

Is Here To Serve
Staff Member
Jan 26, 2009
USA
2k run

Release Date: September 15th (was 11 August 2014)

£17.99

Buy link: The Pianist (Sold Out!)

The Pianist.jpg

Attachments

• thumb.jpg
    thumb.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 271
Last edited by a moderator:
To be fair, Zavvi isn't about creativity. First and foremost they're about profitability. If they released the same steelbook design as Kimchi I would be happy to buy it, even though I can objectively admire the craftsmanship of what Kimchi are doing. Some people don't necessarily need all the bells and whistles that come with Kimchi releases, or need something to be individually numbered. That's where Zavvi come in and in my opinion do a good job. It's good for collectors and for the market in my honest opinion.

Yeah, it's just like Morton's Steakhouse and Burger King. ;)

Hate to call you a liar - but here goes:

Kimchi 1/4 slip Pianist: $34.99
Shipping/handling: $21.80
Gives a Total of: $56.79
This converts to: £33.67 at todays exchange rate.

Plus VAT @ 20% £6.74 (this will actually be higher as you have to pay VAT on the local (Korean ) taxes as well - even though you don't live there or pay them in the first instance.
Special Handling £8.00 (Royal Mail)
That equates to £48.31 - plus the extra 'local' taxes.

n.b Prices of Blu and postage from Kimchi website. Royal Mail fee is a flat rate on all non-EU goods valued at more than £15

VAT is payable on all non-EU imported goods over the value of £15

Look up the VAT rules on the government website.

K-packet shipping is $10.80 and I have never been hit by customs, so actually, you're wrong... Simple as

K-packet shipping is $10.80 and I have never been hit by customs, so actually, you're wrong... Simple as

Just because you've never personally been hit by customs, you can't with any real conviction say 'so actually, you're wrong... Simple as'.

Even if you don't get hit by customs, you're still looking at nearly a $15 dollar increase on the zavvi price quoted in the OP. Some people have bills to pay and although it may not sound like a lot to some, that's actually a decent wedge, especially if you're buying a few.

Last edited:
Reactions: StifflersDad
Just because you've never personally been hit by customs, you can't with any real conviction say 'so actually, you're wrong... Simple as'.

Even if you don't get hit by customs, you're still looking at nearly a $15 dollar increase on the zavvi price quoted in the OP. Some people have bills to pay and although it may not sound like a lot to some, that's actually a decent wedge, especially if you're buying a few.

And people can call out other people as liars without facts can?

If it were the same package then yes, but it's not.

I'm not anti zavvi or pro kimchi, but people getting all bent out of shape about people spending their money however they want and calling people liars is just a wee bit ridiculous, we're all collectors in one way or another.

And people can call out other people as liars without facts can?

If it were the same package then yes, but it's not.

I'm not anti zavvi or pro kimchi, but people getting all bent out of shape about people spending their money however they want and calling people liars is just a wee bit ridiculous, we're all collectors in one way or another.

With respect I didn't say that.

Good point, but it's working both ways. There are also people with the Kimchi release seemingly keen to put the boot into news of a zavvi release...there isn't even a place holder for it yet. :D

Personally, I don't give a toss either way. You want to buy and promote endlessly Kimchi or Plain Archive - go ahead - and don't ***** when customs do catch up with you - and they will! And don't give me the superior attitude either - you're not!

Just (and this is a general request) quit knocking Zavvi every time the Koreans come up with the same title. It's not exactly fair, or even well placed often time.

'Nuff said!

Last edited:
so... i think the above discussion should be taken to the retailer threads and agree to disagree and as far as this release goes we dont need another re-release but just my opinion ;) whether its zavvi, kimchidvd, blufans or whoever, lets see the continuation of new titles shall we ?

BUT still a nice release and alternative to those who didnt pick up the kimchidvd release :)

Last edited:
I don't understand why people think that it has to be a competition between retailers. The truth is that different retailers cater to different sections of the market. Some collectors are happy to have a film they like in Steelbook form, whereas some like to pay a little bit extra to get something a little more fancy.

Yeah, it's just like Morton's Steakhouse and Burger King. ;)

The thing is you seem to think that Burger King should be more like Morton's, in reality Burger King and its customers are perfectly happy that it is Burger King ;)