The Pianist (Blu-ray SteelBook) (Zavvi Exclusive) (WEA) [UK]

Wreck

Is Here To Serve
Staff Member
Jan 26, 2009
USA
2k run

Release Date: September 15th (was 11 August 2014)

£17.99

Buy link: The Pianist (Sold Out!)

The Pianist.jpg

Attachments

• thumb.jpg
    thumb.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 277
Last edited by a moderator:
Don't be so cynical mate. I very much doubt if Canal will want to flog the old disc now - after all they didn't with the digibook, so it wouldn't make any sense to do so with the steelbook.

Personally, I like the look of this a lot - it sucessfully conveys the stark bleakness of the subject matter.

They didn't include the older disc in the digibook because the digibook was part of the premium 'StudioCanal Collection' and priced accordingly- most of the time at least double the price of the older bare bones BD25 release.

Exactly the words I thought in my head!

1) Looks like Studiocanal have taken the complaints about the black-and-white inside artwork and said, "You think black-and-white INSIDE art is bad? Check this out!"

2) The piano keys are an eyesore and ruin the composition.

3) There's a good chance it will be a matte, bare metal finish.

4) Obviously they saw the Kimchi release and said, "Well, we might as well not even try. There's no competing with that."

Front is much better than kimchi artwork but it all comes down to finishing.

I think the Kimchi release is much more aesthetically pleasing. It has a bit of color too:

IMG_7456_zps00167d2d.jpg

They didn't include the older disc in the digibook because the digibook was part of the premium 'StudioCanal Collection' and priced accordingly- most of the time at least double the price of the older bare bones BD25 release.

Don't know about that to be honest. I know my Digibook cost £12-99, and the regular Amaray goes for about a tenner; but which disc is contained in the current Amaray I don't know - do you?

More to the point, the Steelbook isn't likely to be bargain basement, and they are generally thought of as 'premium' items, so one would really expect the revamped version to be used.

---------- Post added at 11:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:46 PM ----------

Exactly the words I thought in my head!

1) Looks like Studiocanal have taken the complaints about the black-and-white inside artwork and said, "You think black-and-white INSIDE art is bad? Check this out!"

2) The piano keys are an eyesore and ruin the composition.

3) There's a good chance it will be a matte, bare metal finish.

4) Obviously they saw the Kimchi release and said, "Well, we might as well not even try. There's no competing with that."

I think the Kimchi release is much more aesthetically pleasing. It has a bit of color too:

IMG_7456_zps00167d2d.jpg

To paraphrase Donald Sutherland in Kelly's Heroes - 'Stop hitting me with those negative waves'

or:

Crikey, we haven't even got the final art and the bloody hatchet jobs are in full swing.

Ordered for now.. If i dont like the back artwork and if theres no debossing ill just cancel..

Last edited:
Any discount code available from UK,NL or Spain?

Unfortunately, I don't think they'd work. It seems they've stopped accepting codes on any pre-order items. Well, that's in my experience the last couple of orders I've made (not official confirmation). It seems to have happened around the time some members noticed that the application of codes changed from the whole basket to individual items.

I would have probably gone for this with my discount code (as I quite like the film), but £18 is a bit rich considering the poor/average artwork and the risk of damage. I'm happy with my Korean version anyway.

Reactions: Genocide
I put an order in (got Zavvi's email!).

I already have the Kimchi Lenti + Full, so im on the fence big time. I just didn't want to miss out, in the unlikely event that this comes out really nice.

I'm hoping Zavvi will improve & update the artwork.

It's gunna be hella funny if this comes out bright white and is an instant grail :hilarious:

I put an order in (got Zavvi's email!).

I already have the Kimchi Lenti + Full, so im on the fence big time. I just didn't want to miss out, in the unlikely event that this comes out really nice.

I'm hoping Zavvi will improve & update the artwork.

It's gunna be hella funny if this comes out bright white and is an instant grail :hilarious:
It could be good and be a surprise like the boy in the striped pjs. But this is sewagecanal we are talking about

Reactions: NoDingsNoScratches