Operations Director
Staff Member
Aug 6, 2010
USA
Release Date: February 10th, 2014
Price: £14.99
Buy Link:
Zavvi
Notes: Zavvi Exclusive Steelbook with Matt Finish and Embossed Door and Title Treatment. This product is limited to 4000 copies.

Pre-order goes live September 7 2013

Artwork:
10851837-1378457196-493258.jpg

10851837-1378457235-670947.jpg

10851837-1378457254-643414.jpg

Attachments

• thumb.jpg
    thumb.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 307
Last edited by a moderator:
Will be getting this.

If they continue this, then it looks like the Anniversary slipcover releases will be ALL getting steelbooks from Warner.

What will be next from

Singing in the Rain, Clash of the Titans, Lost Boys, Goodfellas, Exorcist, Color Purple, Clockwork Orange, Bodyguard, Seven, Gone with the wind, ben hur, inception, la confed, wizard of oz, empre of the sun, unforgiven, interview with a vampire, enter the dragon, bladerunner, blazing saddles, one flew over, true romance, bettlejuice, poltergiest, north by northwest, buillitt, neverending story, heat, doctor zivago, casablanca.

We've already had Town and had announcements for Point Break, Gremlins, Goonies, The Shining.

I'll have a Lost Boys, Empire of The Sun, Poltergeist, True Romance, Beetlejuice and One Flew Over The Cuckoos Nest please!! :D

Reactions: lolwut
Let me guess, they are going to release the other 4 DVD's in the Kubrick Boxset with the exact same artwork as the front in steelbook form. What a complete let down. No care and attention is taken into steelbook designs anymore.

9951360-1309266295-743892.jpg

well 2 of those designs have already been used on canadian steelbooks so i would say its very possible :(

81ptXAXE8OL._AA1500_.jpg

4149Fjlv6gL._SL500_.jpg

10851837-1378457196-493258.jpg

Im starting to think either Scanavo have a lot of black paint they need to use up or the designers of steelbooks are just getting lazy....far too many minimalistic black steelbooks coming out lately for my liking...

Love the film and still after all these years Ive not got around to buying the US cut though, I should rectify that by buying the US amaray instead of this rather lacklustre steel...didnt HMV use that same 'door' artwork on their slipcased edition a while back? might not have been an exclusive, but Im sure thats where I remember seeing it

Last edited:
Hmmm, I know everyone likes a good moan here which annoys the people who moan about people moaning, but this steelbook is a bit of a disappointment to me.

Now I love The Shining very much (it probably is my favourite Kubrick film) and despite having the Kubrick blu ray box set, I would have been tempted by some nice original artwork.

Instead, Warner have literally taken the image they used on the 2 disc DVDs and slapped it on the front. Whilst it does match the 2001: A Space Odyssey steelbook, I also felt that was lazy. The back image, whilst recognisable and iconic, is not used particularly well as it does not match the front at all, and the inside is wildly off balance. Something like the shot of Wendy running with the knife outside the Overlook in the snow would have been better as it is a nice widescreen image filling the inside, but Wendy is on the left and not covered by the disc.

I feel steelbooks in general have become just a way of the studios pulling in money. People moan about the designs, buy multiple copies anyway, then try and sell them for double the price they were (sometimes when the retailer still have them in stock) and then the retailers put the prices up. Then the studios release everything they can whilst people are buying them, and because people buy as many as 10 copies of one film at a time (maybe even more) they go out of stock, leaving the studios free to do the same again and put the price up more. The retailers have enough for everyone if we literally bought the ones we need. And because they want to release so many titles to rake in the money, they don't put as much thought in as they should do as they rush the development.

This is a film which deserved much better, such a wasted opportunity. :(

This looks rubbish and is more money saved for me. Zavvi need to up their game with some of the artwork on their catalogue releases, barely any of them are selling out and that isn't likely to change with more boring black artwork like this.

This artwork is indeed very boring. The inside is ok, but thre rest... Nevertheless I'm still going to get it, because it's still missing in my movie collection and a steelbook is nearly always a reason to go for it. At least for this movie.

The front is awful.Just a door with redrum? They could have done a better job.
Hope they don't ruin A clockwork Orange and Barry Lyndon if they ever make those.

Members going crazy again for a weak steelbook.So much potential...
Clockwork orange would probably be just the eye then.

The title and black matte steel.
Reminds me of the German studio canal collection series steelbooks.

This looks rubbish and is more money saved for me. Zavvi need to up their game with some of the artwork on their catalogue releases, barely any of them are selling out and that isn't likely to change with more boring black artwork like this.

So you would have preferred the even more boring amaray artwork?

What cuts are on the standard UK amaray version at the moment?

The talk of cuts is misleading and implies censorship by the BBFC, who have never required any cuts to be made to the film.

The film was initially released in US cinemas in a 142 minute cut, but Kubrick subsequently decided that it played too long and made various trims prior to it's European release, reducing the running time to 119 minutes. This shorter cut was Kubrick's preferred version, and should be thought of as the 'Director's Cut'. It is the version that has previously been released on DVD and Blu-ray in the UK, whilst the longer 'US cut' is available on US DVD and Blu-ray (and was shown on ITV a couple of times).

The 142 minute version was released in UK cinemas last year, so could herald a UK Blu-ray release. Zavvi could keep everyone happy by including both cuts, but on past form that's unlikely :(