The Thing (1982) (Blu-ray SteelBook) (Arrow Video) [UK]

Feb 17, 2011
Release date: October 23, 2017
Purchase link: Amazon - Zavvi - HMV - Arrow Films (Sold Out)
Price: £17.99 (Arrow) - £24.99 (Amazon) - £19.99 (Zavvi - Hmv)

91fkjH5rswL._SY445_.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Ordered one from Zavvi then thought seeing as it's The Thing that Arrow would also do another more all-out version. Thankfully managed to order from Arrow's site when it was up for a brief period around midnight. Hopefully that transaction goes through...

So, are we saying that HMV (and maybe Zoom too) will not have an allocation of this steelbook and this boxset or even that the print run cannot be increased due to evident demand between now and late October ?
upload_2017-7-15_11-24-54.png

Managed to get my order in at Arrows site when it was up, got the steelbook and Limited Edition and I just got an e-mail that my order was received so now I can relax.

Almost perfect release with the only thing missing for me being a Blu-ray of "The Thing From Another World" (1951) - one of the best sci-fi films of the 1950's standing shoulder to shoulder with "Invaders From Mars", "The War of the Worlds", "The Day the Earth Stood Still", "Forbidden Planet", "Invasion of the Body Snatchers", "The Quatermass Xperiment" and "The Incredible Shrinking Man".

As for this artwork: it goes without saying that it's a classic and an improvement on the 2013 U.K. horizontal steelbook artwork even though it's over-familiar as cover art on home video releases going back to the days of VHS through laserdisc and up to DVD, Blu-ray and now steelbook:-

The+Thing+UK+DVD+001.jpg
il_340x270.1090214927_sthc.jpg
MDS04945.jpg
Thing-AC-3-Dolby-Digital-LaserDisc-42654.jpg
maxresdefault.jpg
maxresdefault.jpg
Q0ImOOV.jpg
017522acd6be4d6862a16805a358c2f2.jpg
max1299455491-front-cover.jpg
The_thing_%28bluray%29.jpg
maxresdefault.jpg
1723_large.jpg
92377_large.jpg

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Some of the other artwork out there:-
the-thing-1982-vhs-cover-artwork-film-movie-john-carpenter.jpg
1450f0a44e7bc5d6f52b1a1153ec27c7.jpg
9d0ef88f27c9f503956f7a2b4922a021--cover-art-spanish.jpg
f71d9bd6ae69a4295d80c17f4adfb2d8--the-thing-cover-art.jpg
587.jpg
The+Thing+VHS+004.jpg
638d75eb4d2874d9896d9e4938dd4160--the-thing-horror-posters.jpg
100_5501.jpg
the-thing-vinyl.jpg
thething_cover_web.jpg
View attachment 322335
ost_the_thing_cd_sfx.jpg
2620802.jpg
View attachment 322337
2xjnukc1.jpg
max1299455697-front-cover.jpg
511111thing_cstm_hires.jpg
51chQMe6HCL.jpg
The_Thing_1982.jpg
91KRgYYHWRL._SY500_.jpg
View attachment 322338
pGf9LkD.jpg
maxresdefault.jpg
thingjpb-jpg.12794
I agree, the "original" Thing from Another World is a classic. Definitely needs some kind of special edition on bluray.

Not wanting to be the odd one out or looking a gift horse in the mouth, but I'm surprised everyone is ok with the new logo. It's not awful....but it's like bringing out a steelbook of star wars with classic poster art and making up your own logo for it. Although it is a simple font, the original logo is so iconic it was even replicated for the remake/prequel movie. If it had been the original logo, placed at the bottom of the art, i would love this but I think I will stick with my reversed Shout Factory cover for now.

Arrow Films Website

15/07/2017 11:58 AM.
Unfortunately the site has been overwhelmed with demand following Friday's new release announcements.
We are working to increase capacity so that it can come back online for you all.
If you were able to place an order and got as far as make a payment on PayPal then these will be reflected on your account in due course. We have a backlog of payments to clear that we are working on.
Please be assured we working flat out on this after a night on it. There's no need to message or email for updates - they will be posted here for you when we have them.
Thanks very much for you support!

I would image Arrow are right now looking at the demand and will change the print run to suit. They are not going to deprive themselves of serious revenue.......

Arrow FB:

"Arrow website update: Unfortunately the site has been overwhelmed with demand following Friday's new release announcements.

We are working to increase capacity so that it can come back online for you all and there will still be an allocation of both versions of The Thing for sale when it does.

If you were able to place an order and got as far as making a payment on PayPal then these will be reflected on your account in due course. We have a backlog of payments to clear that we are working on.

Please be assured we working flat out on this after a night on it. There's no need to message or email for updates - they will be posted here for you when we have them.

Thanks, Team AV"

So any chance that Arrow will still have copies available to order when they come back online?
I would say yes as very few got to order direct with arrow films store
Arrow Store will have not had many units purchased yet due to website been down

It's different with retailers
Retailers that listed to purchase would have been allocated a set amount of stock and is why they are sold out already
Each retailer has a set amount of stock allocated to them some get more than others
HMV have yet to list on their website so there allocation not sold yet

If won't last long though on Arrow Films Store when website does come back and I would not be surprised if they run into problems again unless they have upgraded the server capacity to handle lot more web traffic.