The Wicker Man (1973) (Blu-ray SteelBook) HDN CHOSEN ART (Zavvi Exclusive) [UK]

HDN CHOOSES INSIDE ART ON STEELBOOK - WHAT IS YOUR CHOICE?

• Choice 1

Votes: 92 27.9%
  • Choice 2

Votes: 204 61.8%
  • Choice 3

Votes: 34 10.3%
  • Choice 1

• Choice 2

• Choice 3

• Choice 1

• Choice 2

• Choice 3

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Wreck

Is Here To Serve
Staff Member
Jan 26, 2009
USA
Release date: October 14, 2013
Purchase link: The Wicker Man
Price: £14.99
Notes: 4k print run, inside art chosen by HDN community!

image.jpg
wicker pback.jpg

From Zavvi:
To all The Wicker Man fans, you’ll be very pleased to know the Blu-ray will include the UK theatrical cut, The Directors Cut (with seamless branching into extra scenes) and of course The Final Cut, plus lots more - now there's a reason to celebrate! Keep following The Wicker Man for more details

Official specs as per Studio Canal -

Blu-ray

The Final Cut

Burnt Offering: The Cult of The Wicker Man documentary written by Mark Kermode

Worshiping The Wicker Man - Famous fans featurette

The Music of The Wicker Man featurette

Interview with Robin Hardy

Interview with Christopher Lee & Robin Hardy (1979)

Restoration comparison

Trailers

DVD

The Final Cut

Worshipping The Wicker Man - Famous fans featurette

The music of The Wicker Man featurette

Interview with Robin Hardy

HDN CHOOSES INSIDE ART!!! MAKE YOUR CHOICE AND LET'S DESIGN A STEELBOOK! :thumbs:

CHOICE 1
View attachment 31064

CHOICE 2 - FINAL PICK!
View attachment 31065

CHOICE 3
View attachment 31066

Last edited by a moderator:
I think this is arguably British Cinema's greatest horror movie. Christopher Lee has said it was favourite role he ever played and he even did it for free as he liked the script so much! The ending is right up with the best and one of the most shocking I have ever seen. This is a must buy steelbook for me!

Everybody is saying the ending is so shocking, Why? I just finished watching for the first time. The only thing that shocked and appauled me was all the damned singing.

I think you have to take into context when the film was made compared to how things are now. We are much more desensitised now in a generation of Saw and Hostel etc. At the time when the film was released it was pretty shocking. I remember going to see The Exorcist at the cinema when it was re-released a few years ago and people were laughing at the so called controversial scenes. It was disappointing that they couldn't appreciate it for how good it actually is.

Everybody is saying the ending is so shocking, Why? I just finished watching for the first time. The only thing that shocked and appauled me was all the damned singing.

Hiya Rick

It's more about the feeling than the gratuitousness! It's you being there with him,
feeling trapped and being burned alive!
It not so shocking nowadays, but imagine the impact when it was released WOW! It's like the traditional Hammer films and it's still a British horror masterpiece!

DOOMSDAY!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought thats what happened in the remake

It is, but the remake felt outdated even at the time of release. That and the fact it's inferior in every possible way.

At the time, bleak and downbeat endings were quite uncommon, especially in UK movies. Remember, we were always used to the Hammer horror movies where Van Helsing would defeat Dracula. Good by-and-large always overcame evil. We'd had The Omen of course, but the ending of that felt more like a set-up for a sequel than a proper evil has won outcome.

It's also disturbing because the islanders aren't even evil so much as misguided. As a viewer you know that Howie's death is in vein, and the cruelty by the villagers is what's got him to that point. Even just before release there was talk of him being saved by a rain storm at the last second. That's how shocking the film-makers thought their ending was.

Even when you know the ending in advance, such as with Planet of the Apes, it the journey there that makes it such compelling viewing. Possibly even more-so because there's nothing you can do to save him from the horrific outcome. You feel not only his pain, but also frustration that he's dying for nothing. Unlike Saw he's not being taught a lesson, it's not Freddy out for revenge and it's not even some mindless serial killer who get's kicks out of murdering innocents. They genuinely think they're doing the right thing.

To me, it's one of the greatest films ever and has been referred to as the Citizen Kane of horror movies. In the same way that Dracula changed horror in the 30's and Psycho in the 60's, The Wicker Man showed that true horror could take many forms and that even the every-man could be dragged into it.

Thanks Wreck, at least its not another summer release, and there I was thinking my wallet would have a rest with the sad demise of Play etc. This is a true classic one of those films you never forget & a great looking steel.

The price is kinda high for a movie like this... :S
Same price as indiana steelbooks, can't be right :S
ALso zavvi charges quite a lot more than Play did... :S

This is the first time it has been released on Blu-ray though, so I think the price is pretty reasonable. Not sure if i'm going to pre-order this myself yet. May wait until we hear more details regarding back and inside art, finish and if there will be any embossing/debossing.

If you buy at zavvi.es instead zavvi.com you could use the discount vouchure "zaves10" that is a 10% discount (I used testerday and worked, I hope that today still works).