Whiplash (Blu-ray SteelBook) (Zavvi Exclusive) [UK]

Apr 1, 2013
London
Release: June 1st, 2015
Purchase: Whiplash
Price: £20.99
Notes: Gloss with debossed title
Artwork as selected by Damien Chazelle from the Empire Online competition.

FRONT.JPG

BACK.JPG
steel1.jpg
steel2.jpg
steel3.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
This sounds like a complete clusterf**k of epic proportions....:woot:

But, there could be all manner of reasons why the winner won't reply to Empire, maybe he/she hasn't abided by the terms of the competition, ie, the winner is under 18 years of age, something like that...

It's also a bit worrying that Empire can't contact BottleRocket either, don't these people want to be famous or something....

And the idea that BottleRocket's design being a slipcover to cover the Simcarpe winning design is a bit daft, it would be insulting to the Simcarpe's winning design and also, the two wildly differing styles of design clash badly.

I do wonder if no one can be contacted, will Empire or the film studio either scrap the steelbook or go with a completely new studio designed artwork. Time is passing....

This sounds like a complete clusterf**k of epic proportions....:woot:

But, there could be all manner of reasons why the winner won't reply to Empire, maybe he/she hasn't abided by the terms of the competition, ie, the winner is under 18 years of age, something like that...

It's also a bit worrying that Empire can't contact BottleRocket either, don't these people want to be famous or something....

And the idea that BottleRocket's design being a slipcover to cover the Simcarpe winning design is a bit daft, it would be insulting to the Simcarpe's winning design and also, the two wildly differing styles of design clash badly.

I do wonder if no one can be contacted, will Empire or the film studio either scrap the steelbook or go with a completely new studio designed artwork. Time is passing....

I will take a guess that Simcarpe contacted Empire first
I would not say and would not be fair to give my opinion as to what might have been said
Its not the Winner Simcarpe that has not replied to messages
They contacted Simcarpe on 10/3/2015

Then 3 Weeks later they posted this

Posted by Empire 31/3/2015
Can anyone do me a favour? I'm trying to get a hold of BottleRocket and he's not getting back to my emails. If you know him, or are him, can you please email me, or DM me, or tweet or, or just get in touch? I'd be mighty grateful.

BottleRocket
they want to contact them was not the winner originally announced but they have for some reason asked this person to contact them and so far that we know has not yet replied to messages from empire and they want if anyone who knows BottleRocket to tell him/her contact empire and read his/her inbox messages and emails they sent

Last edited:
Message 78 (10/3/2015) in the Empire competition thread is asking for the winner Simcarpe to get back in contact, then in message 79 (31/3/2015) Empires Ali Plumb then askes BottleRocket to contact them, so either Simcarpe hasn't replied or has agreed to let another entry have the win (BottleRocket)

I can't believe they would have told Simcarpe his winning entry has been rejected due to poor reactions from the steelbook community/studio to the artwork, that's a potential legal craphole no one wants to go down, unless as I previously mentioned his entry breaks the competition rules.

Whatever the situation, they need to get a hurry on, as this could delay any release if no artwork can be agreed on.

Last edited:
A mess is right. A mess just about describes these Empire competitions.

Exactly, they didn't learn after Only God Forgives and Machete?

The idea behind the director choosing is part of the prize - knowing your artwork is going to be seen by the people that made the film and selected is a big deal. The only problem here is that the director's choice wasn't in line with what the majority wanted. Had he chosen Bottlerocket's the first time round, we'd all think it was a marvellous idea to let him decide.

Except he wouldn't have chosen Bottlerocket's design, because it's an Empire competition.

Kinda wish I hadn't cancelled my previous order now, as I used a discount code and had it for £18. Still, I'm happy to pay £21 for the film with this artwork. :)

P.S. OP updated. ;)

And that's it, been waiting for this, it will be mine now :D I first thought that the picture of the thread is some kind of cruel joke, I'm glad it wasn't.

Kinda wish I hadn't cancelled my previous order now, as I used a discount code and had it for £18. Still, I'm happy to pay £21 for the film with this artwork. :)

P.S. OP updated. ;)

Well let's hope that in some way the mass cancelling had some effect on this change, being the unforeseen circumstance. I kept my order but am thankful for this change. Looks pretty good

Reactions: Nightcrawler