Whiplash (Blu-ray SteelBook) (Zavvi Exclusive) [UK]

Apr 1, 2013
London
Release: June 1st, 2015
Purchase: Whiplash
Price: £20.99
Notes: Gloss with debossed title
Artwork as selected by Damien Chazelle from the Empire Online competition.

FRONT.JPG

BACK.JPG
steel1.jpg
steel2.jpg
steel3.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Whoa, I've haven't been keeping up with this thread and I come back to this news. I for one, like many here, are happy for the change.

While it's possible all the negative reactions to the winning design contributed to the change (which is really wrong considering how the competition is supposed to be judged), I think the biggest reason is probably plagiarism. I mean, as I mentioned before, the arm artwork was practically lifted as is from the Man with the Golden Arm design by Saul Bass; It wasn't a homage, a reference, or even a parody - it was the exact same design.

A damn good film is a damn good film so I was going to get it either way but as a fan this is easily the better art so i am as pleased as everyone else is that it has been changed :)

Loving this new art.. Gloss would be awesome but if they can't spare the expense then maybe they could at least spot gloss the symbol. :hungry:

I do feel for the original winner but this was the better choice for the steelbook (for me personally) , simple and elegant.. They've got to make the symbol shine :ohno: fingers crossed

I remember people saying the original winner's artwork looked very similar to an old poster art( for something I can't remember what) could there be copyright issues because of that? and that's the reason they're having to choose a new winner? .. Either way, I'm looking forward to this release.. Thanks to hdn;)

you mean the cymbal, right? ;) :p

and sorry to the initial and legitimate winner simcarpe, but the artwork unfortunately was just not as good as the new one imho.
just re-ordered in hope for a high quality finishing.

Reactions: chunk
I pre-ordered this 2-3 weeks ago when everyone else was cancelling theirs, so glad I went for it. I actually liked the indie/alternative design to the original choice, and everyone slating it made me want it a bit more. The new winning design feels a bit more commercial to me, hence I think why everyone wanted it, but I have very few doubts that this will look a stunning steel book if the printing job is done right.

I'm not sure if it was plagiarism thing with the original winner, I think they are using it for The Netherlands release? That may have changed now, I don't know. I sure hope they compensated the original winner well, he won it fair and square.

Edit: They have changed The Netherlands artwork as well.

Whoa, I've haven't been keeping up with this thread and I come back to this news. I for one, like many here, are happy for the change.

While it's possible all the negative reactions to the winning design contributed to the change (which is really wrong considering how the competition is supposed to be judged), I think the biggest reason is probably plagiarism. I mean, as I mentioned before, the arm artwork was practically lifted as is from the Man with the Golden Arm design by Saul Bass; It wasn't a homage, a reference, or even a parody - it was the exact same design.

I doubt complaints had any effect , but lawyers would have would have the final word, while not exactly the same as man with the golden arm (it actually looks like a mash up of 2 Saul Bass designs ) it's close enough to cause action from the Saul Bass estate and any rights holder of the film.

I doubt complaints had any effect , but lawyers would have would have the final word, while not exactly the same as man with the golden arm (it actually looks like a mash up of 2 Saul Bass designs ) it's close enough to cause action from the Saul Bass estate and any rights holder of the film.
While the overall design is obviously Saul Bass-inspired, the image of the arm is practically the same one on the Man with the Golden Arm poster/titles. Maybe it's just too close for legal comfort.

Editors-Pick-The-Man-With-The-Golden-Arm1.jpg

While the overall design is obviously Saul Bass-inspired, the image of the arm is practically the same one on the Man with the Golden Arm poster/titles. Maybe it's just too close for legal comfort.

Oh yeah it's the arm, definitely the arm . The background is very familiar , but I can't place it (perhaps without the drum equipment) .

I cancelled my order weeks ago
I will re order at a later stage and wait for a price drop

Its getting a steelbook release in other countries as well so I'm not in a rush to order

you mean the cymbal, right? ;) :p

and sorry to the initial and legitimate winner simcarpe, but the artwork unfortunately was just not as good as the new one imho.
just re-ordered in hope for a high quality finishing.
Lol.. I'm the best speller ever!! :confused::bag::whistle::rofl::LOL::rofl:

Reactions: severo

I've seen that style of art used a lot on many different things over the years... he wasn't the first to "copy" it, and he won't be the last.

Reactions: chunk
The new art is much better. Still not sure at £21 though, it will definatly need a gloss finish, matte won't work with this.

I'm glad the artwork has been changed, whatever the reason is for doing so.

Unfortunately I cancelled my pre-order which had a 10% discount applied, and I'm not going to reorder again unless I can get the price down to £18.90 again.