Why have Steelbooks become more popular over last 12 months?

Status
Not open for further replies.
the "explosion" is for BR' steels not so much the DVD's. But there is a seperate thread for DVD steels if your into DVD's.

First of all it plays on the collectors "gene" a lot of us have. The fact that they plainly look better and usually have great art is a factor, and that most have limited print runs.

As title says, I have been a collector for a short while, but there now seems an explosion of interest for them.

I think the interest has always been there for the BD steels. The explosion your seeing is more likely the popularity of this forum and the huge amount of new members.

Sent from my GT-I9000M using Tapatalk

Every year more and more stores release them for a wider range of movies, hence their exposure increases and people always want something a little different.

Wanted was my first steelbook a few years back , didn't pay much attentionat the time but since christmas 2011 they have now become a massive addiction and as my wife calls it , massive OCD ! oh well good job we both work so more money to spend on my OCD

xxquartzxx

Just got my first steelbook, Jurassic Park. Now it is like an addiction of mine to look for more steelbooks. Any suggestions on what movie steelbook that I should get next guys?

Just got my first steelbook, Jurassic Park. Now it is like an addiction of mine to look for more steelbooks. Any suggestions on what movie steelbook that I should get next guys?

Well if you just want to collect perhaps start with the exclusive titles that are just released by a few shops like Play, HMV etc.

Depends what you collect for, the movie itself, the art, value... :cool:

Just saw the Avatar extended steelbook. From what I've read, the korean and chinese versions include a book which has english text. Is there by any chance that I could still get one since it is oop? I've searched eBay and I couldn't find one.

I think the forums, feedback that is passed on, and the fact that studios have seen proof, that there is not just interest in 'new release', but also 'catalog' titles in Steelbooks, is contributing to an increase in interest. The forums make it much easier to create 'hype' for titles, that would not necessarily get 'play' unless packaged in a limited edition, etc. Studios began testing 'waves' of releases, instead of one release at a time, largely based on the factors above. Studios also track each other to see if certain things are working. I am sure they all saw the sales of the German Paramount wave, Alliance's Wave, and Warner's wave, and thought they had a winner. In addition, while many folks complain about the fact that the same titles keep getting released, and re-released,some consumers are also buying them over and over again. So studios know that there is an audience for double dipping, quadruple dipping, etc etc for Steelbooks. All of these things happened fairly quickly, so I am sure more are on the way...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.