Why have Steelbooks become more popular over last 12 months?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's kind of a catch 22 situation.

While most consumers want more steelbooks, and we want limited runs, therefore adding to the titles collectability, a number of us will still own multiple releases of the same title - even if it's a different run exclusive to a store or web store or the like.

Damned if we do, damned if we don't. :naughty: :cool:

"I think we're going to need a bigger rack" (to store 2012's steels)

ala - "I think we're going to need a bigger boat" :p

ala - "I think we're going to need a bigger boat"

TRUE!

jaws.gif

Last edited:
I just started collecting steelbooks. Kinda went crazy bidding on them on eBay a few weeks ago. Ended up almost spending $500 in a matter of 10 minutes. Now I'm constantly looking for deals for more! Can't get enough.

Someone looking for Blu's may have the option to get a steel for close to the same price and try it out. After the first one, I was hooked (Black Hawk Down).

Just saw the Avatar extended steelbook. From what I've read, the korean and chinese versions include a book which has english text. Is there by any chance that I could still get one since it is oop? I've searched eBay and I couldn't find one.

I have Korea version and it has Avatar spelled out in English, with a Korean slipcover. Not sure about China. Whenever you have more than one choice, you need to review the threads here and blu-ray.com forum to discern the differences. There is usually always a better one.

Just got my first steelbook, Jurassic Park. Now it is like an addiction of mine to look for more steelbooks. Any suggestions on what movie steelbook that I should get next guys?

The Disney wave from Future Shop (Canada) seems very popular.

Someone looking for Blu's may have the option to get a steel for close to the same price and try it out. After the first one, I was hooked (Black Hawk Down).

I have Korea version and it has Avatar spelled out in English, with a Korean slipcover. Not sure about China. Whenever you have more than one choice, you need to review the threads here and blu-ray.com forum to discern the differences. There is usually always a better one.

The Disney wave from Future Shop (Canada) seems very popular.

those aren't steels though

First of all it plays on the collectors "gene" a lot of us have. The fact that they plainly look better and usually have great art is a factor, and that most have limited print runs.

I also agree with you. I just have a discussion with a friend about it, who doesn't understand it and i reminded him the old time, when we were kids and gone crazy collecting the soccer Panini stickers pictures and other mangas.
Even at that young age, we naturally make trade and research to complete the collection.:hilarious:

Availability I think. Despite the fact that I've written in a previous forum regarding a lack of range in UK steelbooks, I do think they are increasingly common and as such are gaining a larger market audience.

I think it's simply very addictive, as with all collecting, and when you buy something, or at least when I buy something, I like to buy the best that I can - in this case BR SB, preferably limited print run.

There could be a hint of OCD to it as well. For instance, in my case, once I'd bought a few beautiful SBs, they looked out of place with the rest of my blu rays, so I decided I'd collect them separately. For every blu ray release with a UK steelbook, I always buy the SB if I intend to get the disc.

Status
Not open for further replies.