3rd Annual HDN SteelBook™ of the Year [Winner: Who Framed Roger Rabbit]

The 25 Hidefninja.com Steelbook™ of the Year nominees are...

• Zero Dark Thirty (Best Buy USA Exclusive)

Votes: 53 11.6%
  • Pacific Rim (Worldwide)

Votes: 24 5.3%
  • Who Framed Rogger Rabbit? (Zavvi Exclusive)

Votes: 133 29.1%
  • T2 (Kimchi Exclusive)

Votes: 99 21.7%
  • Life of Pi (Worldwide)

Votes: 45 9.8%
  • Tangled (Kimchi Exclusive)

Votes: 100 21.9%
  • Jack Reacher (Blufans Exclusive)

Votes: 10 2.2%
  • Aladdin (Zavvi Exclusive)

Votes: 112 24.5%
  • Predator 3D (Media Markt Exclusive)

Votes: 45 9.8%
  • The Last Stand-Gold Edition (Media Markt Exclusive)

Votes: 65 14.2%
  • Forbidden Planet (Entertainment Store Exclusive)

Votes: 88 19.3%
  • Kick Ass 2 (Worldwide)

Votes: 70 15.3%
  • Iron Sky (Japan)

Votes: 12 2.6%
  • Lawrence of Arabia (HDZeta Exclusive)

Votes: 63 13.8%
  • Taxi Driver (Zavvi Exclusive)

Votes: 52 11.4%
  • Wreck-it Ralph (Blufans Exclusive)

Votes: 58 12.7%
  • Django (Worldwide)

Votes: 22 4.8%
  • Oz The Great and Powerful (Blufans Exclusive)

Votes: 101 22.1%
  • Man of Steel (Walmart USA Exclusive)

Votes: 34 7.4%
  • Finding Nemo (Zavvi Exclusive)

Votes: 57 12.5%
  • World War Z (Entertainment Store Exclusive)

Votes: 94 20.6%
  • Monsters Inc (Kimchi Exclusive)

Votes: 41 9.0%
  • Skyfall (Worldwide)

Votes: 32 7.0%
  • Iron Man 3 (Taiwan)

Votes: 32 7.0%
  • Face Off (Blufans Exclusive)

Votes: 81 17.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

digitalbabe

Premium Supporter
Apr 12, 2009
USA
Voting ended 1/31/2014. 2013 Winner : Who Framed Roger Rabbit (Zavvi Exclusive)

logo.gif

Hello HDN!

It's was an exciting year in 2013, with classic and new titles receiving the Steelbook™ treatment. As in years past, I have tallied all of your suggestions from the nomination threads and it's time for you all to vote for your favorites from our 25 most nominated contenders. Past winners include Thor and The Raid. 2013 Winner: Who Framed Roger Rabbit?

Please remember that you can only vote 1 time, but you can vote for multiple titles when you vote.

Here's a video I made for this year as a 'ninja recap' of the 25 most nominated Steelbooks. Turn the sound up/use headphones, if you wish to see it with music.

You can see the video here on HDN's Official Youtube Channel, along with many other individual Steelbook videos created by our very own Snollygoster (Productions). After you check it out the recap, just come back to the forum and cast your votes.

Voting starts right here in our poll, today and ends 1/31. Have fun everyone!

Last edited:
UK wins three in a row

First of all, I don't consider Thor a UK release. There was like 100 different countries that had Thor. Why it was listed as a UK title I'll never know, it was the lamest one. FNAC Thor was way way rarer and better looking. Second of all, we got to somehow eliminate the UK bias on these votes next year. You UK folks for some reason are the majority of this forum, and are stacking the votes for these UK releases. Most of which are lame, and will go nowhere in terms of gaining value in the future. I have a feeling I'm not gonna like the winner of this year either. But that's just my 2 cents.

Stevo-the editions that were nominated the most in the nomination threads are listed. For the year Thor won, Thor UK ed received the most nominations, and thus was in the poll. Most people will pick based on price, proximity, etc, and some are not concerned with slips, stickers, etc. The choices in the poll, are those the entire community as a whole nominated. The other Thors did not get nearly as many nominations. This vote is representative of the membership of this particular site, which includes UK members. If you went elsewhere, tastes may vary, based on that membership and that community. But the UK also released a large # of Steelbooks this year, so proportionately, there are also many UK nominees.

Last edited:
Stevo-the editions that were nominated the most in the nomination threads are listed. For the year Thor won, Thor UK ed received the most nominations, and thus was in the poll. Most people will pick based on price, proximity, etc, and some are not concerned with slips, stickers, etc. The choices in the poll, are those the entire community as a whole nominated. The other Thors did not get nearly as many nominations. This vote is representative of the membership of this particular site, which includes UK members. If you went elsewhere, tastes may vary, based on that membership and that community. But the UK also released a large # of Steelbooks this year, so proportionately, there are also many UK nominees.

First of all, I don't have any issues with anybody. As far as I'm concerned, we're all just sharing our own ideas and opinions. As for Thor, it only proves my point that there is a strong UK bias here. So many editions, and that one got picked? Now why would that be you suppose? I'm not into slips or stickers either. My rant against these are very well known. But the true hard facts of the matter is that these slips and stickers are worth a lot of money. People are paying a great premium for these. Don't ask me why, it just is. That's why I thought a more worthy version of Thor should have been chosen. A steelbook of the year should have a certain desirability and pinnache based on what people are willing to pay for it. Votes with your hard earned cash is worth way more than words coming out of a persons mouth. Or what they type on their keyboard for that matter.

I hear you Stevo-we're all aware that some folks like the extra stickers, slips, etc etc that come with editions, and feel those are superior-that's their prerogative. The winner of the 2011 vote was Thor (Worldwide)-see link, and it was nominated with all editions-that was actually my own typo, when I posted a few posts above-I erroneously added 'UK' for the '2011 Winner: Thor' bit, so I apologize for that error, folks. All we can do is take into account those that take the time to nominate in the nomination thread each year-then the community as a whole, has always had the choice to vote for their favorites.

Last edited by a moderator:
The winner of the 2011 vote was Thor (Worldwide)-see link

Personally I would have liked Sucker Punch to win that 2011 vote as it is a far more beautiful steel imo. :drool:

Stevo - Regarding the UK bias debate, I didn't even vote for WFRR so it's probably a case of swings and roundabouts. No doubt a load of 'Rest Of World' voters did vote for it so these things have a way of balancing out. If you are aiming the bias comment at the volume of UK steels being included, then that's probably somewhat representative of the geographical split of releases last year.

I'd have preferred a different title to win this year too (still might happen! :p), but that doesn't mean that the winner of this vote isn't valid and I really don't reckon changing the mechanic will impact the outcome in any way.

From the above list there really are some stunning releases and considering all the dross that came out this year we have been blessed with some real quality too. I don't need a title to win the vote in order to know it is superior to another title. And this is for fun at the end of the day.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Troll2Fan
From web:
(British & Australian) also what you lose on the swings, you gain on the roundabouts (British & Australian)
something that you say to describe a situation in which there are as many advantages as there are problems If you make more money, you have to pay more tax, so what we gain on the swings, we lose on the roundabouts. It's swings and roundabouts, really. If you save money by buying a house out of town, you pay more to travel to work.

Personally I would have liked Sucker Punch to win that 2011 vote as it is a far more beautiful steel imo. :drool:

Stevo - Regarding the UK bias debate, I didn't even vote for WFRR so it's probably a case of swings and roundabouts. No doubt a load of 'Rest Of World' voters did vote for it so these things have a way of balancing out. If you are aiming the bias comment at the volume of UK steels being included, then that's probably somewhat representative of the geographical split of releases last year.

I'd have preferred a different title to win this year too (still might happen! :p), but that doesn't mean that the winner of this vote isn't valid and I really don't reckon changing the mechanic will impact the outcome in any way.

From the above list there really are some stunning releases and considering all the dross that came out this year we have been blessed with some real quality too. I don't need a title to win the vote in order to know it is superior to another title. And this is for fun at the end of the day.

Well said, and I agree with everything you said with the exception of Sucker Punch. That, Zero Dark Thirty and WFRR are three I never really cared for despite all of the hype surrounding each title. But that's just my humble opinion. ;)

Reactions: zoneism
The rules are the rules.You simply have to respect it.If you participated,then you have to abide by the rules.No sour grapes.
Here's what happened...Multiple choices were allowed but no ranking had to be given.In simplest terms,WFRR became the most common denominator out of all the picks.Does that mean the voters within felt that they ranked it first in their hearts? not necessarily.With thier multiple picks,there were other titles that probably ranked higher.
Bear with me on this...
For example...if there were 10 super heroes ( Superman,Spidey,Thor,Captain America,Robin lol,etc.and a few others) up for grabs to be on your team and you had to pick 3 to be with you.As obvious as the front runners are,to others,they are just polarizing and a complete turn of to the point that they wouldn't get picked at all.Yet if you look at Robin who seems completely harmless and just a bystander would probably end up in their top 3 and in turn make everybody's list EEK!
If you look at the final tally,he would end up getting the most votes.So does that mean he's the most popular super hero there is? Probably not.But by the rules given...he is in fact the chosen one ;)

It’s tough to pick one this year and imo not for any good reason. I personally think Forbidden Planet is the best looking steelbook, but the film isn’t AAA.

Django unchained was my favourite film of 2013 (in years actually, in my top 10 of all time), but the matt finish just isn’t steelbook of the year material.

WIR, Blufans is a lovely package but marred by issues, mine has a few of them. T2 has that border / name issue, Monsters inc & Tangled are up there, 3D, Lenticular sleeve, extras, but are a too expensive imo.

So for me, No 1 was: Decent price at release, absolute bargain for anyone that waited. AAA iconic film, premium steel. It’s Taxi Driver innit. It also got treated to a 4k re-master.

Our voting poll has officially closed as of 1/31/2014. The winner for the 3rd Annual 'Steelbook of the Year', as voted for by the HDN community is 'Who Framed Roger Rabbit? (Zavvi)'. Runners up were 2) Aladdin (Zavvi) and 3) OZ: The Great and Powerful (Blufans). Thanks for participating, everyone! :ninja:

2011 Winner: Thor (Worldwide)

2012 Winner: The Raid (UK)

2013 Winner: Who Framed Roger Rabbit