Alien: Covenant (Blu-ray SteelBook) (Manta Lab Exclusive No. 10) [Hong Kong]

martinouchou

Premium Supporter
Sep 20, 2015
France
Release date: October 20, 2017
Purchase links: Full Slip - Lenti A - Lenti B - One Click (Pre-order on August 25 at 6 PM HK time)
Price: $41.99 (Individual editions) - $125.97 (One Click)
Group Buy: Hosted by Aniv One Click - Full Slip - Lenticular A - Lenticular B
Notes: 2500 numbered copies (One Click 400 + Full Slip 400 + Lenti A 500 + Lenti B 400)

Fullslip.jpgLenti A.jpgLenti B.jpgBoxset.jpg

20626843_1473762832733820_2459998244172256503_o.jpg
[ME#10] Alien: Covenant Steelbook
We watched the movie and loved it which means we are making the exclusive steelbook for the Alien Covenant! Steelbook has been approved. We are aiming for the Late September release and hope that the rest of process goes smoothly.
19601344_1439357456174358_4844366141747089836_n.jpg
201708002-alien_covenant_LS-A_lenti_3D_1024x1024.gif
giphy.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Lenti A arrived yesterday! The spit coming off the xenomorph looks like it's about to hit my face each time. Lovely slip, I can't wait to pry this release open and see what all the fuss is about with the steel (which looks to be a serious contender for steel of the year judging by the pics and comments!).

• Thanks
Reactions: jailbird_joey
Btw, just FYI, here is part of Manta CS reply regarding quality control after I sent them email about my damaged Logan steelbook, from end of September:

"For the steelbook, there's only one company which manufactures around the world and we also make steelbook with that company. We have been having problem from day one with these problems because what we consider a problem isn't a problem to the manufacturer. We want our steelboook to be in perfect shape without any blemishes or scratches but if our only manufacturer considers it to be not a problem, we don't have any other option but to accept their QC level. We also have higher QC level on our hand that we usually order extra copies than what we need to replace / throw out really bad ones. Damage reports are still under 1% per release including the shipping and considering we produce 2.5k~3k steels every release, we think it's acceptable level. Sometimes, we think customers are very generous with our products. As you mentioned, it's a jet-black full gloss steelbook and scratches are easier to happen but we just want our customers to be happy with our product."

And now, explain me, If every steelbook is made in Denmark by Scanavo, how come we never get somehow damaged steelbooks from Filmarena for example? Their steelbooks are always minty mint, so tell me where lays the problem? That response above is pile of horse*hit imho, I think Manta assemble line/packaging department is to blame, people there just treat the steelbooks like s*it, don´t tell me that you have higher QC level :cautious:o_O:facepalm::angry: If there is such a amount of scratched Alien steelbooks. I really don´t believe that Scanavo is responsible for this issue.

Btw, just FYI, here is part of Manta CS reply regarding quality control after I sent them email about my damaged Logan steelbook, from end of September:

"For the steelbook, there's only one company which manufactures around the world and we also make steelbook with that company. We have been having problem from day one with these problems because what we consider a problem isn't a problem to the manufacturer. We want our steelboook to be in perfect shape without any blemishes or scratches but if our only manufacturer considers it to be not a problem, we don't have any other option but to accept their QC level. We also have higher QC level on our hand that we usually order extra copies than what we need to replace / throw out really bad ones. Damage reports are still under 1% per release including the shipping and considering we produce 2.5k~3k steels every release, we think it's acceptable level. Sometimes, we think customers are very generous with our products. As you mentioned, it's a jet-black full gloss steelbook and scratches are easier to happen but we just want our customers to be happy with our product."

And now, explain me, If every steelbook is made in Denmark by Scanavo, how come we never get somehow damaged steelbooks from Filmarena for example? Their steelbooks are always minty mint, so tell me where lays the problem? That response above is pile of horse*hit imho, I think Manta assemble line/packaging department is to blame, people there just treat the steelbooks like s*it, don´t tell me that you have higher QC level :cautious:o_O:facepalm::angry: If there is such a amount of scratched Alien steelbooks. I really don´t believe that Scanavo is responsible for this issue.
I've had a similar reply from them before too regarding my Kingsman steel which had numerous paint chips... :coffee:
E-mail from Jun 17'
"The biggest challenge we have with the steelbooks is that it's produced by Scanavo and they have certain standard for us to reject / accept the steelbooks they have produced for us. Within their standard, we have to accept all the steelbooks and pay for them. Regardless, we still try our best to QC the cases and leave out the really bad ones even though they are still under standard from the manufacturer. Steelbook with Full Gloss Varnish has rather weak surface and it can be easily scratched or chipped by the handling process. After we receive and perform QC, it still goes through 3 different facilities and there's always more chance that the cases are scratched and etc. We try our best but sometimes it's just not as easy. Despite us complaining about the steelbooks we receive from the manufacturer. (Sometimes it does come out pretty well), We still do take full responsibility for our product. We would like to send you another case if you allow us and see if you are happy with it. We will try our best but it's not always easy to meet the standard of our customers. Thank you for the feedback again and we will work more closely with our manufacturer to produce finer products."

But fyi, I've had a f*cked up steel in one of my FAC Dredds so they're not always minty mint ;)

Scanavo also has factories in North America and China. Manta sources their steels from the Chinese factory. I believe Plain Archive are the only Asian retailer that imports their steelbooks directly from Denmark.

As for Manta's handling causing damage, they're on the hook for replacement copies (not Scanavo), so they have a financial incentive to handle them properly. Scanavo is the only game in town for Steelbooks, so what do they care if they're shipping out damaged goods? The retailer foots the bill for the damaged copies in the end. We've all seen how the steelbooks are sent from the factory:
dredd.jpg
So I doubt John's bullshitting you in his comment from September. They're taking the hit for every replacement that goes out their door, after all.

And FWIW, all of my FAC WEA steels have had scratches and/or chips. I've had much better luck with their WWA steels, but I believe they have the benefit of larger print runs and (often) matte finishes to better conceal imperfections.

Scanavo also has factories in North America and China. Manta sources their steels from the Chinese factory. I believe Plain Archive are the only Asian retailer that imports their steelbooks directly from Denmark.

As for Manta's handling causing damage, they're on the hook for replacement copies (not Scanavo), so they have a financial incentive to handle them properly. Scanavo is the only game in town for Steelbooks, so what do they care if they're shipping out damaged goods? The retailer foots the bill for the damaged copies in the end. We've all seen how the steelbooks are sent from the factory:
View attachment 344052
So I doubt John's bullshitting you in his comment from September. They're taking the hit for every replacement that goes out their door, after all.

And FWIW, all of my FAC WEA steels have had scratches and/or chips. I've had much better luck with their WWA steels, but I believe they have the benefit of larger print runs and (often) matte finishes to better conceal imperfections.

Glossy steelbooks are really pain in the a.... regarding scratches. But i have so many that came in mint condition (nearly all my Blufans steelbooks). What we do with them once unsealed is a different story :rofl:

• Thanks
Reactions: misformatt

View attachment 344052

OK, I didn´t know that there are more factories outside the Denmark coz I read not long time ago in some other thread that all steelbooks are made in Denmark. That, and also fact from @Mickle_89 manta´s reply "After we receive and perform QC, it still goes through 3 different facilities" makes it little bit clearer then.

• Thanks
Reactions: Mickle_89 and harry
I've had a similar reply from them before too regarding my Kingsman steel which had numerous paint chips... :coffee:
E-mail from Jun 17'
"The biggest challenge we have with the steelbooks is that it's produced by Scanavo and they have certain standard for us to reject / accept the steelbooks they have produced for us. Within their standard, we have to accept all the steelbooks and pay for them. Regardless, we still try our best to QC the cases and leave out the really bad ones even though they are still under standard from the manufacturer. Steelbook with Full Gloss Varnish has rather weak surface and it can be easily scratched or chipped by the handling process. After we receive and perform QC, it still goes through 3 different facilities and there's always more chance that the cases are scratched and etc. We try our best but sometimes it's just not as easy. Despite us complaining about the steelbooks we receive from the manufacturer. (Sometimes it does come out pretty well), We still do take full responsibility for our product. We would like to send you another case if you allow us and see if you are happy with it. We will try our best but it's not always easy to meet the standard of our customers. Thank you for the feedback again and we will work more closely with our manufacturer to produce finer products."

But fyi, I've had a f*cked up steel in one of my FAC Dredds so they're not always minty mint ;)

OK not always minty mint, but I don´t recall similar situation (manta alien) with any FA steelbook in the past. For example from the latest Logan and Alien Covenant nice full glossy steelbooks I don´t think that there were somebody complaining about receiving damaged steelbooks, at least here on HDN. @misformatt in the post above is the first case I see. Could be maybe because FA steelbooks go directly from Denmark to them, goes through less hands and handling.

• Thanks
Reactions: Mickle_89
Did anyone receive a mint copy of this?

My copy had a few tiny imperfections - comparing it to the badly scratched examples we have seen in the last pages, I'm inclined to call it mint (almost): https://www.hidefninja.com/communit...es-no-10-hong-kong.87072/page-38#post-2015295
I'm still pondering the question if I should contact him about the strange line in the slip, however. As explained in another Manta Lab thread, I hate asking for replacements etc. even though it might be wholly justified.

Anyway, I hope you guys get your scratched steelbooks sorted soon. @Hereticz @misformatt @Radagast @Flloydo @Mickle_89 @nekromantik @Steelselecta (and everybody else I might have missed, there're just too many damaged steels around :stop::dunno:)

My copy had a few tiny imperfections - comparing it to the badly scratched examples we have seen in the last pages, I'd call it (almost) mint: https://www.hidefninja.com/communit...es-no-10-hong-kong.87072/page-38#post-2015295
I'm still pondering the question if I should contact him about the strange line in the slip, however. As explained in another Manta Lab thread, I hate asking for replacements etc. even though it might seem totally justified.

Anyway, I hope you guys get your scratched steelbooks sorted soon. @Hereticz @misformatt @Radagast @Flloydo @Mickle_89 @nekromantik @Steelselecta (and everybody else I might have missed, there're just too many damaged steels around :stop::dunno:)
Yeah it's strange, the steel itself look fine apart from the massive scratch in the back in normal daylight, but get a light, I.e the ceiling light over it and its terrible!

I know what you mean about the replacements, I don't like to bother them even though it's perfectly reasonable to ask for a replacement, but part of me also can't be bothered to be honest as I want the FA one instead now as I'm not overly impressed with this release. The steel is gorgeous but the slip is mediocre really IMO.

So I'll probably sell it at a loss on the bay instead. Got to source an E1 or E2 of FAs version now. But im not paying those silly ebay prices.

Anybody help a ninja out?

Last edited:
My copy had a few tiny imperfections - comparing it to the badly scratched examples we have seen in the last pages, I'm inclined to call it mint (almost): https://www.hidefninja.com/communit...es-no-10-hong-kong.87072/page-38#post-2015295
I'm still pondering the question if I should contact him about the strange line in the slip, however. As explained in another Manta Lab thread, I hate asking for replacements etc. even though it might be wholly justified.

Completely agree, it's a tough call. Mine has lines all the way down the front which you can see in the light , this happened again with the blufans gone girl steel which I think is due to the gloss on the steel.
I don't like asking for a replacement as I can live with it and it's not scratched like some on the others photos that have been posted here.
I would say if you are not happy email him as you have nothing to lose and I have always found everyone on this site to be really helpful.

• Thanks
Reactions: CleverLoginName
Yeah it's strange, the steel itself look fine apart from the massive scratch in the back in normal daylight, but get a light, I.e the ceiling light over it and its terrible!

I know what you mean about the replacements, I don't like to bother them even though it's perfectly reasonable to ask for a replacement, but part of me also can't be bothered to be honest as I want the FA one instead now as I'm not overly impressed with this release. The steel is gorgeous but the slip is mediocre really IMO.

So I'll probably sell it at a loss on the bay instead. Got to source an E1 or E2 of FAs version now. But I'm bit laying those silly ebay prices.

Anybody help a ninja out?

I think Steelbook central still has copies available. I have always found them to be reliable and in the uk

• Helpful Post
Reactions: Steelselecta