Notes: 4000 qty

10830688-1373386738-426309.jpg

Attachments

• 10830688-1373386738-426309.jpg
    10830688-1373386738-426309.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 411
Last edited by a moderator:
HOLY LORD!

Glad I ended up forgetting to cancel this one. It's a blind buy and, honestly, I don't even like Gemma, but that back image will make me reconsider!

Reactions: harry
My copies have showed up today. This is one of the nicer steelbooks I have got this week. One thing is for sure though and that's I have had enough of black and matte type finishes to last me a while. I used to be a fan of matte finishes but these days there's too much, it's probably done because it's cheaper and this of course maximises profit. If retailers think cheap matte black and a bit of emboss/deboss on the title [and sometimes this is not even in good alignment] will keep us interested for very long they are wrong. Byzantium looks ok though but here's hoping for some better art and please a bit of gloss to come.

Does look nice, and Im still curious to give it a watch but Im still not willing to bite at that price...My days of expensive blind buys are over...if it drops under £15 I'll reconsider...

My copies have showed up today. This is one of the nicer steelbooks I have got this week. One thing is for sure though and that's I have had enough of black and matte type finishes to last me a while. I used to be a fan of matte finishes but these days there's too much, it's probably done because it's cheaper and this of course maximises profit. If retailers think cheap matte black and a bit of emboss/deboss on the title [and sometimes this is not even in good alignment] will keep us interested for very long they are wrong. Byzantium looks ok though but here's hoping for some better art and please a bit of gloss to come.

I was expecting fully gloss with extra treatment on the title like oldboy steelbook from play. Like the mock up sort of shows.

The girl in the red dress in the mock up unfortunately isn't as pronounced on the actual steelbook. But taking all that into account, it's not a bad steel from studio canal. It's better than the Disney tripe from last week. And it's a pleasure to get a studio canal steel with no stratches under the j card like end of watch and others.

But it's all matte matte matte at the moment. I don't mind matte but would like some alternative now and again.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sigill
After seeing the pics on here and having it in hand I have to say the pics make it look much better than in reality. In hand the matte finish ruins this steel and it could have been so much better with some spot gloss finishes and embossing. I feel the back had a printing error hence why zavvi never released the back art. I might be wrong though.

I for one have had enough of matte finishes and might seriously reconsider collecting in future if this is the sign of the times. :(

I think the artwork would have really popped with a glossy finish, the artwork looks nicer in the mock up than the actual Steel.

when i get my copy,i'll be pulling out the ol car wax and see if i can bring out these colors :scat:
i always keep it handy.it does a lot of good for these steels including removing finger prints and glue residue.

After seeing the pics on here and having it in hand I have to say the pics make it look much better than in reality. In hand the matte finish ruins this steel and it could have been so much better with some spot gloss finishes and embossing. I feel the back had a printing error hence why zavvi never released the back art. I might be wrong though.

I for one have had enough of matte finishes and might seriously reconsider collecting in future if this is the sign of the times. :(

Printing error on the back? is that what looks like reflected light in the pics? its actually a matte printing error?

So the light beams were on the actual image? ok - but still no spot gloss like i thought :(

WTF are zavvi on with such lame cheap finishing on NEW RELEASES? its bad enough on their overpriced budget steels :angry:

This steel wulda looked real great with gloss. This is definitely going to 9.99, and it deserves too as well. Good Job zavvi :thumbs:

Reactions: kron
So glad I cancelled this - the finish ruins this. The steel could have been amazing if gloss making the vibrant neon pop.

Will wait for a price frop before considering a purchase... and with Zavvi's recent track records I probably won't have to wait that long!

As always, Zavvi get a bashing for StudioCanal's decision.

Evil Dead was also a matt finish with no embossing, and Universal Soldier: DOR is just pathetic. That's just the StudioCanal way generally.

Byzantium hardly performed at the cinema, so StudioCanal want some money in the bank. They know steelbooks sell regardless of overall quality so have gone for the cheapest version they can to make profit.

Zavvi have terrible customer service, high prices and lacking packaging, but I just wish people would stop bashing them for the product. Just because something is a retailer exclusive doesn't mean they have a lot of say over the product (we know Zavvi try to change things when they can).

If the Fox waves were Amazon exclusives would people say 'Amazon dropped the ball on X-Men, I'm sick of their shoddy products'? No. It would still be 'Fox dropped the ball...' etc. etc.

^ If this is the case then they really need to have more influence on how the final product turns out. After all they're the ones that have 4000 of them clogging up their warehouse if they don't sell.

As always, Zavvi get a bashing for StudioCanal's decision.

Evil Dead was also a matt finish with no embossing, and Universal Soldier: DOR is just pathetic. That's just the StudioCanal way generally.

Byzantium hardly performed at the cinema, so StudioCanal want some money in the bank. They know steelbooks sell regardless of overall quality so have gone for the cheapest version they can to make profit.

Zavvi have terrible customer service, high prices and lacking packaging, but I just wish people would stop bashing them for the product. Just because something is a retailer exclusive doesn't mean they have a lot of say over the product (we know Zavvi try to change things when they can).

If the Fox waves were Amazon exclusives would people say 'Amazon dropped the ball on X-Men, I'm sick of their shoddy products'? No. It would still be 'Fox dropped the ball...' etc. etc.

I believe Wreck said it's a combination of both retailer and studio. The retailers can ask about finishes and so on but ultimately it's the Studio that has the final say.

Last edited: