Not open for further replies.

apsmith21

Operations Director
Staff Member
Aug 6, 2010
USA
From CPs Facebook page...

Canada Post Forced to Shut Down Urban Operations Nationwide

Following 12 days of increasingly costly rotating strikes by the Canadian Union of Postal Workers (CUPW), Canada Post has suspended operations across the country.

The accelerating decline in mail volumes and revenue combined with the inability to deliver mail on a timely and safe basis has left Canada Post with no choice but to make this decision.

Specifically, we have taken this action for the following reasons:

Rotating strikes have had a significant impact on short-term revenue. Canada Post’s losses are approaching $100 million since the rotating strikes began – and that figure is climbing daily;
Over the past few days, several incidents have raised concerns about the ability to move the mail while keeping employees and customers safe;
Canada Post and CUPW remain far apart on several fundamental issues and there has been no progress made at the negotiating table for weeks.

If we allow the uncertainty created by the rotating strikes to continue, we will not be able to remain financially self-sufficient and risk becoming a burden on Canadian taxpayers.

We believe that a lockout is the best way to bring a timely resolution to this impasse and force the union to seriously consider proposals that address declining mail volumes and the $3.2-billion pension deficit.

Canada Post continues to believe that the best result from this round of bargaining is a negotiated settlement.

The company had hoped to reach an agreement without a disruption in postal services, which is why the company has made every effort to protect the pay, pension and job security of existing employees.

Plans are in place to secure all mail that is left in the system during the lockout, and to resume normal operations quickly once the current situation is resolved.

Customers of Canada Post can find updated information about the company’s labour situation online at http://clients.infopost.ca/en/. The French version of the website can be found at http://clients.infopost.ca/fr/.

Amazon.ca official website statement:

Buying From Amazon.ca

Amazon.ca uses multiple carriers to deliver packages to customers, including Canada Post. We're monitoring the progress of the strike and are using alternate delivery carriers when necessary to deliver customer orders. Buying From an Amazon.ca Seller

If you purchase from a seller who uses Canada Post to ship orders, you may notice a delivery delay as a result of the labour dispute. We expect that any impact will be minimal. If you have questions or concerns about an order being shipped by a seller, please contact the seller through the order on Your Account.<SCRIPT language=javascript> if ( ! window.stageMarkers) { window.stageMarkers = {}; window.stageMarkers.count = {}; window.stageMarkers.stage = function (stage, t) { window.stageMarkers.count[stage] = 1 + (window.stageMarkers.count[stage] ? window.stageMarkers.count[stage] : 0); if (window.stageMarkers.count[stage] >= t) { amznJQ.completedStage(stage); } } }</SCRIPT>
transparent-pixel._V192565360_.gif
transparent-pixel._V192565360_.gif

<SCRIPT type=text/javascript>amznJQ.onReady('JQuery', function() { var helpSearchInput = jQuery('#helpsearch'); var default_value = 'Topic or Keyword'; if(helpSearchInput.val() == '') { helpSearchInput.addClass("default-text"); helpSearchInput.attr('value', default_value); } helpSearchInput.each(function() { var input = jQuery(this); input.focus(function() { jQuery(this).removeClass("default-text").addClass("focus-text"); if(this.value == default_value) { this.value = ''; } }); input.blur(function() { if(this.value == '') { jQuery(this).removeClass("focus-text").addClass("default-text"); this.value = default_value; } }); }); jQuery('#search-help').submit( function () { if ( (helpSearchInput.val() != '') && (helpSearchInput.val() != default_value) ) { return true; } else { return false; } } ); });</SCRIPT>

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Shanester
Let's hope this dispute gets resolved quickly so I can start recieving some steelbooks again! :)

Last edited:
Okay, so I'm a little frustrated to say the least. Does this happen in other countries. It seems to me the mail should be considered an essential service. Lets get together and get something done kids.

Sent from my GT-I9000M using Tapatalk

Okay, so I'm a little frustrated to say the least. Does this happen in other countries. It seems to me the mail should be considered an essential service. Lets get together and get something done kids.

Sent from my GT-I9000M using Tapatalk

I agree but their Union is very strong and they can pretty much do whatever they want without consequences. It's just like Air Canada who want to strike now too...again!!

I'm sure the Government will have to step in and resolve this nonsense just like last time

Happens here as well, Blue. It's all down to the strength of the Unions involved. Postal workers can still go on strike, fundamental rights etc. Leaving it there though as do not want to get involved in politics on forums. Thankfully Amazon.ca send internationally by DHL so hopefully won't be too much disruption there.

Sticking thread after a few days(so folks have a chance to see it), until the strike has ended. This important event will obviously affect shipments for a while, and sticking it may make it easier to find it in the short term.

Last edited:
Happens in South Africa as well, although I cannot remember the last time the postal service was severely disrupted due to a strike.

Sticking thread after a few days(so folks have a chance to see it), until the strike has ended. This important event will obviously affect shipments for a while, and sticking it may make it easier to find it in the short term.

Not sure why it didn't go through, :wtf: but that's a good idea DB. :cool:

I'll go ahead and re-stick this one.

Here in México I never heard of a strike, they are very lazy but do not have union trobules.

Fortunately all my Canadian packages are on hand now or left country on time.

What is using amazon.ca as solution?

Here in México I never heard of a strike, they are very lazy but do not have union trobules.

Fortunately all my Canadian packages are on hand now or left country on time.

What is using amazon.ca as solution?

I've heard some folks say DHL, and also UPS.

I don't think all retailers are going to do that - it brings up a lot of interesting questions, that's for sure.

Amazon.ca is not specific in regards to what alternate carriers are being used, but I added the statement they have on their site to the OP.

Reactions: apsmith21
Unions, gotta love 'em. They seem to always grow so large and powerful, that they become as bad/worse then the greedy owners/corporations they were created to protect honest people against.

Unions, gotta love 'em. They seem to always grow so large and powerful, that they become as bad/worse then the greedy owners/corporations they were created to protect honest people against.

so true.

the government will intervene and end this i bet.

Let's hope so. Millions of people are affected. Especially business'

---------- Post added at 09:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:20 PM ----------

FYI

FS is apperently using Purolator in the meantime. I got a delivery today for Battle: Los Angeles, of course I wasn't home to recieve it. Now I have to go pick it up at the nearest depot :(

Still no resolution but Government may introduce back to work legislation over the next few days....stay tuned

Meanwhile hundreds of steelbooks lay around the country collecting dust waiting for a home ;)

Still no resolution but Government may introduce back to work legislation over the next few days....stay tuned

Meanwhile hundreds of steelbooks lay around the country collecting dust waiting for a home ;)

If thesee bludgers get forced back to work expect a lot of damaged packages! EEK!

Status
Not open for further replies.