Not open for further replies.

apsmith21

Operations Director
Staff Member
Aug 6, 2010
USA
From CPs Facebook page...

Canada Post Forced to Shut Down Urban Operations Nationwide

Following 12 days of increasingly costly rotating strikes by the Canadian Union of Postal Workers (CUPW), Canada Post has suspended operations across the country.

The accelerating decline in mail volumes and revenue combined with the inability to deliver mail on a timely and safe basis has left Canada Post with no choice but to make this decision.

Specifically, we have taken this action for the following reasons:

Rotating strikes have had a significant impact on short-term revenue. Canada Post’s losses are approaching $100 million since the rotating strikes began – and that figure is climbing daily;
Over the past few days, several incidents have raised concerns about the ability to move the mail while keeping employees and customers safe;
Canada Post and CUPW remain far apart on several fundamental issues and there has been no progress made at the negotiating table for weeks.

If we allow the uncertainty created by the rotating strikes to continue, we will not be able to remain financially self-sufficient and risk becoming a burden on Canadian taxpayers.

We believe that a lockout is the best way to bring a timely resolution to this impasse and force the union to seriously consider proposals that address declining mail volumes and the $3.2-billion pension deficit.

Canada Post continues to believe that the best result from this round of bargaining is a negotiated settlement.

The company had hoped to reach an agreement without a disruption in postal services, which is why the company has made every effort to protect the pay, pension and job security of existing employees.

Plans are in place to secure all mail that is left in the system during the lockout, and to resume normal operations quickly once the current situation is resolved.

Customers of Canada Post can find updated information about the company’s labour situation online at http://clients.infopost.ca/en/. The French version of the website can be found at http://clients.infopost.ca/fr/.

Amazon.ca official website statement:

Buying From Amazon.ca

Amazon.ca uses multiple carriers to deliver packages to customers, including Canada Post. We're monitoring the progress of the strike and are using alternate delivery carriers when necessary to deliver customer orders. Buying From an Amazon.ca Seller

If you purchase from a seller who uses Canada Post to ship orders, you may notice a delivery delay as a result of the labour dispute. We expect that any impact will be minimal. If you have questions or concerns about an order being shipped by a seller, please contact the seller through the order on Your Account.<SCRIPT language=javascript> if ( ! window.stageMarkers) { window.stageMarkers = {}; window.stageMarkers.count = {}; window.stageMarkers.stage = function (stage, t) { window.stageMarkers.count[stage] = 1 + (window.stageMarkers.count[stage] ? window.stageMarkers.count[stage] : 0); if (window.stageMarkers.count[stage] >= t) { amznJQ.completedStage(stage); } } }</SCRIPT>
transparent-pixel._V192565360_.gif
transparent-pixel._V192565360_.gif

<SCRIPT type=text/javascript>amznJQ.onReady('JQuery', function() { var helpSearchInput = jQuery('#helpsearch'); var default_value = 'Topic or Keyword'; if(helpSearchInput.val() == '') { helpSearchInput.addClass("default-text"); helpSearchInput.attr('value', default_value); } helpSearchInput.each(function() { var input = jQuery(this); input.focus(function() { jQuery(this).removeClass("default-text").addClass("focus-text"); if(this.value == default_value) { this.value = ''; } }); input.blur(function() { if(this.value == '') { jQuery(this).removeClass("focus-text").addClass("default-text"); this.value = default_value; } }); }); jQuery('#search-help').submit( function () { if ( (helpSearchInput.val() != '') && (helpSearchInput.val() != default_value) ) { return true; } else { return false; } } ); });</SCRIPT>

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Shanester
Amazon.ca is not specific in regards to what alternate carriers are being used, but I added the statement they have on their site to the OP.
My recent purchase from Amazon Canada is ship via DHL even though I choose Standard Shipping. It is kinda cool actually...

Just tried to ship out a package to BlurayJunkie and it got denied due to the strike. :(

Finally! :oohyeah:

The lock out is just about over. The back to work legislation should pass today which means that it will take effect within 24 hrs and become law. By Tuesday we should all start getting normal mail service again

PS Let's hope our parcels aern't tossed around like beach balls by the pissed off union workers EEK!

Reactions: apsmith21
Hey guys,

You have probably more experience with ordering from amazon.ca than me. I just ordered a steelbook: do you think it will be shipped via DHL as usually or it might still get affected by the recent post problems?

Cheers

Hey guys,

You have probably more experience with ordering from amazon.ca than me. I just ordered a steelbook: do you think it will be shipped via DHL as usually or it might still get affected by the recent post problems?

Cheers

Things are supposed to be back to normal today, but if they usually send you packages via DHL, I wouldn't expect that you'll see a delay.

Reactions: CollectorEmtee
Status
Not open for further replies.