General Poster Discussion & last purchased

Apr 2, 2009
General Poster Talk and Share your Latest Purchases!

Last edited by a moderator:
This is looking to be the first week since I started collecting that I haven't bought anything :O

what's your tube collection looking like?

007.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
This is looking to be the first week since I started collecting that I haven't bought anything :O

i started collecting a few months ago and between prints and steels i just cant stop lol. if nothing is dropping that i want i end up buying older ones that i like.

I thought steels were overpriced. In this game you can miss out in seconds then have to pay hundreds extra EEK!

How do you guys learn about the releases.

I thought steels were overpriced. In this game you can miss out in seconds then have to pay hundreds extra EEK!

It can definitely get pricey. I follow a lot if the artists on twitter as well as galleries. Also sign up for newsletters from both. Then there's expresso beans .com

I've spent waaaaaayyyyyyy more on art than I ever have on steels. For me it's very easy to drop $200 on something I'm going to look at and admire everyday. Steelbooks on the other hand, I have gone over $100 once.

Expresso Beans, Twitter, various blogs, word of mouth, etc. Check out the Resource Thread sticky for links.

Like others have said. Twitter & signing up for as many newsletters as you can from the galleries to artists. :thumbs:

Pretty new to this, used to be into "normal" movie posters...but today WOW everything is way nicer and cooler! Would be interesting to hear what kind of prints/artist etc you recommend for a newbie and just for fun, what grails are there?

I'm also new. I'd recommend picking a movie you like. Or just looking at the different styles and find something you like

I like marko manev's superhero noir series; think it's quite unique. I've seen them framed in silver frames (courtesy of swervin) and I knew I had to have them.

Framing is super expensive from what I've heard so don't forget about that

Reactions: Hooch
Pretty new to this, used to be into "normal" movie posters...but today WOW everything is way nicer and cooler! Would be interesting to hear what kind of prints/artist etc you recommend for a newbie and just for fun, what grails are there?

My favorite artists are Mark Englert, JC Richard and Jock. I describe Englert and Richard as landscape moments from the film or show. The pieces usually have depth and detail that's amazing. They can literally put you in the moment of an iconic scene. My few grails for these two are Englerts Django and Richards Jurrasic Park.

I like Jock just because I've always liked his spin of characters in his comics like the Batman Detectives. I have a few of his and the grail for me is his Shuan of the Desd.

Of course you'll get the Stouts and the Horkeys and the Moss's. they have great pieces and I have a few I want from them as well. The beauty of this hobby is there's something for everyone.

Reactions: Hooch

Oh man, where to start. First off, thanks for asking!

The world of limited edition posters can be a daunting thing. You can treat it in several different ways just like most other hobbies.

An easy way to get started is to partake in any of the various "gallery" offerings that seem to happen every month. Bottleneck, LTD, Gallery 1988 and Hero Complex all have shows frequently where you can get some nifty posters (albeit usually not officially licensed).

Check out the most recent one "bleeding metallics" in this forum for a great example. These tend to include lesser known artists who's prints don't immediately sell out, so it's a great way to nab a poster or two to get you started. A lot of the guys here can tell you some great artists to follow in these galleries.

On the opposite end of the spectrum you have the officially licensed top dog artists, who release with companies like Mondo, sometimes G88 and the new comer Odd City. Artists like Ken Taylor, Tyler Stout and Martin Ansin make some phenomenal movie posters. The catch? They sell out fast.

Obviously you can pick any of these posters up on the aftermarket, but the popular ones might easily cost you 3x or more the original price.

If you don't get easily frustrated, it can be fun to try and score a poster from Mondo.

A great couple artists to start you off in the Mondo world would be Kevin Tong and Tom Whalen. The aftermarket on their work isn't as high and they both do amazing work.

The subject of grails is a bit different. Obviously art is subjective, but there are several artists who's older work commands hefty price tags. There are also privately commissioned posters that automatically are rare. Typically though, any older work from Tyler Stout, Horkey or Olly Moss is hard to come by without breaking the bank. There is also a whole other world of art prints that demand "art like" prices.

Reactions: roseart and Hooch
I aswell am totally new to this. Is there some sort of magical site that keeps me updated with every new release? I have bookmarked omgposters because it seems to keep me updated. I missed the Pacific Rim one, and I don't want to miss out on any others I might want :p any replies would be appreciated :)