Ghost in the Shell (2017) (4K+3D+2D Blu-ray SteelBook) (FilmArena Collection #127) [Czech Republic]

luke98

Premium Supporter
Jun 30, 2014
Alexandria Safe-Zone
Release date: August 2, 2017 (Standard) - April 1, 2020 (FAC)
Purchase links: Standard - FAC
Price: 899 CZK (Standard) - 1799 CZK (FAC)
Notes: Matte - debossed on front and back. FAC limited to 501 numbered copies.

E49D150C-6E3E-4CCA-A74E-F125F0DB6D93.jpeg
Screen Shot 2017-04-24 at 16.49.13.png

Last edited by a moderator:
racist how?

This article explains exactly how I felt during the movie. You may think I'm being overly touchy as an Asian American, but I felt like Japanese culture was being appropriated for use by the West and separated unfairly from the Japanese. They could have set the movie in another country and could have done the same movie.

• Helpful Post
Reactions: K.i.T
This article explains exactly how I felt during the movie. You may think I'm being overly touchy as an Asian American, but I felt like Japanese culture was being appropriated for use by the West and separated unfairly from the Japanese. They could have set the movie in another country and could have done the same movie.
Borrowing from each other's cultures has been going on since the beginning of cinema. It is a healthy and fruitful practice.
I don't remember people freaking out about this:
IMG_3570.JPG
Selective outrage is getting, well, outrageous.

Borrowing from each other's cultures has been going on since the beginning of cinema. It is a healthy and fruitful practice.
I don't remember people freaking out about this:
View attachment 304567
Selective outrage is getting, well, outrageous.

You're totally missing the point of the article. Remaking movies in a different country is not the same at all. Otherwise there would be outrage over all of the Asian movies that are needlessly remade by Hollywood (Oldboy, anyone?).

I for one hope am not sad that this movie is doing so horribly in the theaters.

You're totally missing the point of the article. Remaking movies in a different country is not the same at all. Otherwise there would be outrage over all of the Asian movies that are needlessly remade by Hollywood (Oldboy, anyone?).

I for one hope am not sad that this movie is doing so horribly in the theaters.
When the original director says "there is no issue. This is not racist. This is not offensive." I believe him.
People today are looking for things to be outraged and offended by. Should I be offended by the new DC Chinese Superman? Superman is an American white guy.
IMG_3571.JPG
(P.s. - you are culturally appropriating with that Black Panther avatar...see? it never ends if you get offended by everything).

Last edited:
When the original director says "there is no issue. This is not racist. This is not offensive." I believe him.
People today are looking for things to be outraged and offended by. Should I be offended by the new DC Chinese Superman? Superman is an American white guy.
View attachment 304653
(P.s. - you are culturally appropriating with that Black Panther avatar...see? it never ends if you get offended by everything).

In the movie,
Hanka kidnaps Japanese teenagers and puts their brain in causasian robot bodies. They are given new names and backgrounds. There is no reason given as to why they have to be non-Japanese bodies. This act is literal whitewashing. ScarJo's character is told that she is "perfect." This implies that she was not good enough before as a mere Japanese bodied teen. While the director and writer may not have intended this effect, subconsciously, people pick up on these subtexts.

I'm not offended merely by a Caucasian person making a movie set in Japan. I'm offended because Hollywood continues to underrepresent Asians in movies and also implies that being white is better. Your implication that I have destroyed my argument by having a Black Panther icon shows me that you have no idea what you are arguing.

I will gladly continue this conversation in PM if you want. I will be buying the BB 4k steelbook release of this, but will not be actively hoping for a sequel.

In the movie,
Hanka kidnaps Japanese teenagers and puts their brain in causasian robot bodies. They are given new names and backgrounds. There is no reason given as to why they have to be non-Japanese bodies. This act is literal whitewashing. ScarJo's character is told that she is "perfect." This implies that she was not good enough before as a mere Japanese bodied teen. While the director and writer may not have intended this effect, subconsciously, people pick up on these subtexts.

I'm not offended merely by a Caucasian person making a movie set in Japan. I'm offended because Hollywood continues to underrepresent Asians in movies and also implies that being white is better. Your implication that I have destroyed my argument by having a Black Panther icon shows me that you have no idea what you are arguing.

I will gladly continue this conversation in PM if you want. I will be buying the BB 4k steelbook release of this, but will not be actively hoping for a sequel.

Aren't you aiding the chance of a sequel by purchasing this movie?

• Thanks
Reactions: Veronica Mars
wasnt the city supposed to be based on Hong Kong for the live action....(read it somewhere - http://www.scmp.com/culture/film-tv...-ghost-shell-movie-turns-hong-kong-futuristic)...

I didnt know you were Asian-American(though that term in itself can be confusing as Asian over here covers people from Pakistan, India etc, more middle eastern, not the far eastern countries such as Japan...thats a whole other non-issue) but I see your point. There was no reason they couldnt have had a like for like body made for the clearly Japanese, Motoko. BUT in the same breath - how do you feel about the western remake of Ring(Ringu)?
That was whitewashed from clearly Japanese characters, but didnt get the same hate as Ghost in the Shell. Both are remakes of Japanese movies....

The movie certainly didnt feel strictly Japanese to me personally, even though the source material strongly was. Just the few characters were of Japanese origin(Major, her and her pre-friends/family...batou and other section 9 people were all clearly of varying races/nationalities)...there was a Brit lady in there too for example, as well as americans and probably other not so obvious nationalities

Race aside - I thought Scarlett was well cast; seeing her in 'Lucy' and 'Under The Skin' showed me she could handle the character of Major. I'd have been just as happy to see a Japanese actress, with the same skill/talent, handle it, so long as they did just as good a job. Heck, Major could have been flipped to a black male and I'd have been fine...race/gender etc do not make the character. However, I do like that visually, Scarlett does look like the Major from the Anime.
Race switches happen the other way now too, and personally so long as the actor can do the job and perform the role well, race shouldnt even be a factor.

Point is, this remake was aimed at the west just as the anime is clearly aimed at the east, so to complain that each caters for market its aimed at is a bit redundant.

Last edited:
wasnt the city supposed to be based on Hong Kong for the live action....(read it somewhere - http://www.scmp.com/culture/film-tv...-ghost-shell-movie-turns-hong-kong-futuristic)...

I didnt know you were Asian-American(though that term in itself can be confusing as Asian over here covers people from Pakistan, India etc, more middle eastern, not the far eastern countries such as Japan...thats a whole other non-issue) but I see your point. There was no reason they couldnt have had a like for like body made for the clearly Japanese, Motoko. BUT in the same breath - how do you feel about the western remake of Ring(Ringu)?
That was whitewashed from clearly Japanese characters, but didnt get the same hate as Ghost in the Shell. Both are remakes of Japanese movies....

The movie certainly didnt feel strictly Japanese to me personally, even though the source material strongly was. Just the few characters were of Japanese origin(Major, her and her pre-friends/family...batou and other section 9 people were all clearly of varying races/nationalities)...there was a Brit lady in there too for example, as well as americans and probably other not so obvious nationalities

Race aside - I thought Scarlett was well cast; seeing her in 'Lucy' and 'Under The Skin' showed me she could handle the character of Major. I'd have been just as happy to see a Japanese actress, with the same skill/talent, handle it, so long as they did just as good a job. Heck, Major could have been flipped to a black male and I'd have been fine...race/gender etc do not make the character. However, I do like that visually, Scarlett does look like the Major from the Anime.
Race switches happen the other way now too, and personally so long as the actor can do the job and perform the role well, race shouldnt even be a factor.

Point is, this remake was aimed at the west just as the anime is clearly aimed at the east, so to complain that each caters for market its aimed at is a bit redundant.

Filmed partly in Hong Kong but the movie is set in Japan. And Hong Kong is not the same as Tokyo, setting it in Hong Kong would not make sense as there are no Chinese people and nothing Chinese in the movie.

Again, remaking a movie in another country is NOT the same as whitewashing. Read my previous posts and the collider article I linked to for an explanation. This goes beyond just casting ScarJo in the movie (which I have no issue with), it's about the message of the movie and also setting a movie in Japan and having only 3 Japanese people in it :rofl:

In the movie,

Apparently, the Japanese consumers are just fine with this film. It is only American SJWs who have a problem with it.
http://kotaku.com/ghost-in-the-shell-publisher-never-imagined-a-japanese-1771992584

Apparently, the Japanese consumers are just fine with this film. It is only American SJWs who have a problem with it.
http://kotaku.com/ghost-in-the-shell-publisher-never-imagined-a-japanese-1771992584

Well, ultimately what matters for movie producers and financiers is the money the movie brings in. And I guess Paramount will grasp at straws to understand it.

www.refinery29.com/amp/2017/04/148816/ghost-in-the-shell-whitewashing-scarlett-johansson-mistake-paramount

Filmed partly in Hong Kong but the movie is set in Japan. And Hong Kong is not the same as Tokyo, setting it in Hong Kong would not make sense as there are no Chinese people and nothing Chinese in the movie.

Again, remaking a movie in another country is NOT the same as whitewashing. Read my previous posts and the collider article I linked to for an explanation. This goes beyond just casting ScarJo in the movie (which I have no issue with), it's about the message of the movie and also setting a movie in Japan and having only 3 Japanese people in it :rofl:
I read it and disagree on all points.

I get the impression that the cities in that world are all melting pot's, hence the deliberate appearance of differant nationalities. So basiaclly the complete opposite of racist.

But you appear to disagree, and thats cool. Each to their own opinion.

I read it and disagree on all points.

I get the impression that the cities in that world are all melting pot's, hence the deliberate appearance of differant nationalities. So basiaclly the complete opposite of racist.

But you appear to disagree, and thats cool. Each to their own opinion.

Yes I disagree because it's clearly supposed to be Japan (geisha robots and Japanese text everywhere...) and not a magical multicultural city that doesn't exist. But I see that there's no point in talking about this anymore. I'm done with this movie.

Yes I disagree because it's clearly supposed to be Japan (geisha robots and Japanese text everywhere...) and not a magical multicultural city that doesn't exist. But I see that there's no point in talking about this anymore. I'm done with this movie.
Fair enough...