Joker (4K+2D Blu-ray SteelBook) (Manta Lab Exclusive No. 29) [Hong Kong]

IRON MAN

E.D.I.T.H.
Super Moderator
Premium Supporter
Dec 28, 2012
Everywhere
Release date: May 22 June, 2020 (TBC)
Purchase links: One Click - Double Lenti BD - Single Lenti 4K + BD - Full Slip 4K + BD (Pre-order April 17 at 8 PM, Hong Kong time) - Check your local timings HERE
Price: $165.97 (One Click) - $47.99 (Double Lenti) - $52.99 (Single Lenti - Full Slip)
Group buy: hosted by Aniv One Click - Double Lenti - Single Lenti - Full Slip
Note:
Premiums: Booklet (Full Size), Postcards (4ea), Character Cards (5ea), Envelope, Exclusive Numbering Sticker, Exclusive Release Front Sticker + Exclusive Release Lenticular Sticker.
One Click: 500 Units, Numbered 1-500 - WEA, Exclusive Steelcase designed by Manta Lab features "Full Glossy" Finish and "Debossed Title". Box: Embossing + Spot Glossy + Spot Matte. Includes all editions (Full Slip, Lenticular Full Slip, Double Lenticular Full Slip)
Double Lenti: 1000 Units, Numbered 1-1000 - Super Clear Lenticular x 2, Embossing, Spot Glossy.
Single Lenti: 1000 Units, Numbered 1-1000 - Super Clear Lenticular (Morphing Style), Embossing, Spot Glossy.
Full Slip: 1000 Units, Numbered 1-1000 - Spot Glossy, Spot Matte, Embossing, Scratch Resistance Coating.

joker_overall_box_2000x.jpg joker_overall_dls_PS_2000x.jpg joker_overall_fs_PS_2000x.jpg joker_overall_ls_PS_2000x.jpg
93423844_118114173184646_3796519036875964416_n.png
SB-Front_b3c4f2fd-6ba7-4347-bdb5-540f2be882ef_2000x.jpgSB-Back_6c538612-1e9d-484c-80dc-a5a72649a8fc_2000x.jpg
JOKER_SB_V1_0623_1500-1.fit-to-width.431x431.q80.png

Last edited:
You're right, all of the editions feel a bit like there's a lot of potential wasted. Art on the fullsip and double lenti can both be found on amarays:grumpy: They're still good but they could have been a lot better.

Good thing I don’t buy amarays lol

In all seriousness though, I don’t care if the art is used on amaray packaging. It usually is a poster art on them anyway so it don’t bother me on premiums because as I said I don’t buy amaray

Reactions: Granada and zeebeer
Good thing I don’t buy amarays lol

In all seriousness though, I don’t care if the art is used on amaray packaging. It usually is a poster art on them anyway so it don’t bother me on premiums because as I said I don’t buy amaray
It isn't bad always but it still makes it a little bit less 'exclusive' for me, especially if the finish isn't very good like on the fullslip here (at least it looks that way). I prefer seeing art that I haven't seen anywhere else, and as I said I don't think this release is bad at all, I just think that Manta could have been a bit more creative on some fronts here

It isn't bad always but it still makes it a little bit less 'exclusive' for me, especially if the finish isn't very good like on the fullslip here (at least it looks that way). I prefer seeing art that I haven't seen anywhere else, and as I said I don't think this release is bad at all, I just think that Manta could have been a bit more creative on some fronts here

completely agree. I also prefer rarer art as long as I like it. I also love illustrated art like the WWA Joker steel/ mondo/ commissioned fan art etc as long as it’s good art to me but a lot here hate it the second they can see someone talented has drawn/ designed it but **** for Struzan. Never understood that. Especially when some artists are just as good as him. but if the poster art is great and they use it on a premium slip and a world wide amaray then I also don’t care because I don’t buy the amaray.
in this instance yeah I agree about manta and this release. Full slip is the one I was looking forward to the most because In my head I could see their amazing detailed Spot gloss finish (on the face paint) which they are amazing at but for some unknown stupid reason they completely ignored the way this slip should of been done. Just like their a Star is born full slip. I love manta but they f**ked up on those slips

completely agree. I also prefer rarer art as long as I like it. I also love illustrated art like the WWA Joker steel/ mondo/ commissioned fan art etc as long as it’s good art to me but a lot here hate it the second they can see someone talented has drawn/ designed it but **** for Struzan. Never understood that. Especially when some artists are just as good as him. but if the poster art is great and they use it on a premium slip and a world wide amaray then I also don’t care because I don’t buy the amaray.
in this instance yeah I agree about manta and this release. Full slip is the one I was looking forward to the most because In my head I could see their amazing detailed Spot gloss finish (on the face paint) which they are amazing at but for some unknown stupid reason they completely ignored the way this slip should of been done. Just like their a Star is born full slip. I love manta but they f**ked up on those slips
I gotta admit that I sold my mondo Joker steelbook, I thought it was decent but I'm probably getting this release anyway so I saw no point in having it. 'Drawn' artwork is risky for me, I either hate it or love it. I don't like most popart steels, but I do love the design on the Once Upon A Time In Hollywood Manta OC and Fullslip, I hope that fullslip is going to be better than the Joker one, it's going to make or break the whole package. It's a shame that their fullslips have been getting worse, the artwork itself is usually good/great, that's not the problem. Manta has been going downhill since Se7en in my opinion, I really hope they start putting in some effort in to their fullslips again. It looks like they've gotten lazier..

Reactions: Flloydo
I gotta admit that I sold my mondo Joker steelbook, I thought it was decent but I'm probably getting this release anyway so I saw no point in having it. 'Drawn' artwork is risky for me, I either hate it or love it. I don't like most popart steels, but I do love the design on the Once Upon A Time In Hollywood Manta OC and Fullslip, I hope that fullslip is going to be better than the Joker one, it's going to make or break the whole package. It's a shame that their fullslips have been getting worse, the artwork itself is usually good/great, that's not the problem. Manta has been going downhill since Se7en in my opinion, I really hope they start putting in some effort in to their fullslips again. It looks like they've gotten lazier..

Drawn/ illustrated art can be risky but it all depends on how well it’s created and the artists talent for likeness or their own style. I agree there have been some that aren’t great but there are a lot that are excellent. And I love Struzan too. Pretty much all his work. But even the newer great illustrated posters/ steel arts get slammed 90% of the time on here. Unless it’s mondo but even they have their haters. And I don’t like every mondo piece but in general they have a good eye for great artists.

Pop art can be hit or miss. I’d say mostly miss BUT there have been some excellent ones. Mostly awful lazy designs. but again even the good ones get slammed on here. Also a lot of folks confuse pop art with other style illustrated arts and that frustrates me. Something that’s clearly not pop art will get the standard pop art hate comments. It’s as annoying as seeing a unboxing video and the reviewer confuses gloss with matte. Lol.

maybe they mean pop culture and the pop art wave from a few years back confused the wording and phrases. Dunno

I really liked se7en. I didn’t think much from the beauty shots but in hand looks excellent. Captures a 90s feel. And the DL is crisp. Also liked Us too. Steel and full slip. But admittedly as much as they have grown on me, there’s something not quite right with this release and the OUATIH and BoP beauty shots. Some slips look ok, some don’t. It’s a mix bag. But a few times I’ve not been too happy with mantas choices on beauty shots and they have turned out great in hand. Aside from joker I hope that’s the case with the other 2. The Dunkirk steel design also looks great or at least it’s the art I hoped for. So I’m happy about that. I can see previous steel designs and amaray arts being slips but I’m cool with that when it’s on a slip and will have a supposed premium finish

Reactions: zeebeer
Drawn/ illustrated art can be risky but it all depends on how well it’s created and the artists talent for likeness or their own style. I agree there have been some that aren’t great but there are a lot that are excellent. And I love Struzan too. Pretty much all his work. But even the newer great illustrated posters/ steel arts get slammed 90% of the time on here. Unless it’s mondo but even they have their haters. And I don’t like every mondo piece but in general they have a good eye for great artists.

Pop art can be hit or miss. I’d say mostly miss BUT there have been some excellent ones. Mostly awful lazy designs. but again even the good ones get slammed on here. Also a lot of folks confuse pop art with other style illustrated arts and that frustrates me. Something that’s clearly not pop art will get the standard pop art hate comments. It’s as annoying as seeing a unboxing video and the reviewer confuses gloss with matte. Lol.

maybe they mean pop culture and the pop art wave from a few years back confused the wording and phrases. Dunno

I really liked se7en. I didn’t think much from the beauty shots but in hand looks excellent. Captures a 90s feel. And the DL is crisp. Also liked Us too. Steel and full slip. But admittedly as much as they have grown on me, there’s something not quite right with this release and the OUATIH and BoP beauty shots. Some slips look ok, some don’t. It’s a mix bag. But a few times I’ve not been too happy with mantas choices on beauty shots and they have turned out great in hand. Aside from joker I hope that’s the case with the other 2. The Dunkirk steel design looks great or at least it’s the art I hoped for
Yup. I don't get the 'wow' feeling anymore when manta reveals something. Tbh I disliked pretty much every new slip design these past few months when they revealed something, almost everything had to grow on me, some did some didn't. Us looks brilliant though, I missed that one, I really want it but the prices are too high atm. I'll skip BoP, didn't like the film. I respect Dunkirk for all the technical beauty it has, but for me it just doesn't have enough 'feel'. So I'll probably skip that one too unless it turns out to be a really brilliant release. For now I just hope OUATIH turns out well. Lentis for Joker look good, let's hope the fullslip is better than it looks..

Reactions: Flloydo
Yup. I don't get the 'wow' feeling anymore when manta reveals something. Tbh I disliked pretty much every new slip design these past few months when they revealed something, almost everything had to grow on me, some did some didn't. Us looks brilliant though, I missed that one, I really want it but the prices are too high atm. I'll skip BoP, didn't like the film. I respect Dunkirk for all the technical beauty it has, but for me it just doesn't have enough 'feel'. So I'll probably skip that one too unless it turns out to be a really brilliant release. For now I just hope OUATIH turns out well. Lentis for Joker look good, let's hope the fullslip is better than it looks..

Just got my full slip. It has a nice textured feel to it but it did not make me wet my pants in ecstasy. Just a bit disappointed, to tell you the truth. And that's no joke.

Reactions: zeebeer
As anyone heard anything about the shipping of GB copies this was the last message posted by @Aniv

- Single slip shipment: DHL offers shipping to regions that were suspended or blocked by the Post office and we are happy that all shipments (except for box) will begin this week. Due to finding the reliable shipment company was the reason why we couldn't ship our products and the late delivery from Manta Lab. We are happy to announce that all slip shipments will be shipped by this week. Again, we apologize for the delay with shipments and we will bear the higher cost of using DHL for our shipments for this release.

So if I am reading this correctly all single slips have shipped by DHL ?
Where do we find our tracking numbers ?

Cheers

Shipping invoices were sent the 3rd June for GB...It does say that it will be by DHL and they are not passing the additional cost to the customers... Short answer is yes!

On the topic of tracking numbers, no idea, not very helpful I know.

Reactions: IRON MAN
Actually I shall tell no lies, like in the Harry Potter movies... I double checked the invoice spreadsheet for postage from the GB, and there is another column for tracking in that sheet. I guess it will be updated once known. Currently column is blank.

I received my fullslip, looks absolutely great!

200626020707806507.jpg

200626020624650156.jpg

20062602022416192.jpg

200626020223568782.jpg
I do like this but I can't help but think embossing the hair was the wrong thing to do. I get it, embossing something these days is the "cool" thing to do on slips, but is it the right thing to do all the time?
Title... sure. The rear... sure. I just can't help but think the hair is a bit off with how it's been embossed. Looks a bit patchy. Maybe it's because it's dark? I'm not sure but there are bits of the hair that are embossed on their own and are separated from the rest.

Either way, I do like it overall and the steelbook looks great.

The whole of the joker is technically embossed. Look at the shoulder. The hair is the edge. What’s lacking is the spot gloss.