Monsters Inc (3D Blu-ray SteelBook) (Zavvi Exclusive: The Pixar Collection #6) [UK]

snooloui

The 'Negative' Ninja
Premium Supporter
Feb 12, 2012
UK
Release date: February 17th, 2014
Purchase link: Monsters Inc 3D (sold out)
Price: £20.99
Note:
The others:
Zavvi Exclusive: The Pixar Collection Blu-ray SteelBooks

10864600-1385053395-322752.jpg

10864600-1385053395-322844.jpg

10864600-1385053395-322953.jpg

Last edited:
We had no input on the Little Mermaid, did we? If so, I had nothing to do with that pile. I think people have seen a lot of lackluster releases over the last year. So I can see why people wanna make changes to what many see as lazy artwork...

i think if you dont like, dont buy. in my opinion, the art coming from the studio/publisher should be final. it is their product. they are the creators. when we start dictating what design choices they should make, i think it loses authenticity.

just imagine if thats how your favorite musician worked- they released a song, the fans pick it apart, tell the artist to sing this bit differently, change the lyrics here, change the melody there.... where is the artists integrity? are you actually getting something the way it was intended?

that is how artists are ruined, by changing their sound to appeal to their growing audience, rather than simply making the music they and everyone else loved in the first place.

it seems like that is what is happening here, everyone getting so involved to the point where the art is being compromised.

and yes, some good things have come of having a group voice/community, like getting more steelbooks with artwork inside, and artwork not plastered in info/text.

personally i think it would be better to push for more content- all the extras on disc, soundtracks, booklets etc rather than try to tailor make each release so the art matches your own personal taste (which is pointless as everyone has different ideas of what is good art.)

Reactions: mkdfan and Kashby
Personally I enjoy seeing the ideas that people post here, its fun to see what people come up with.. and sometimes the HDN members come up with better art work.. and sometimes not but thats down to personal taste. I wouldn't want people to stop doing these for fear of hurting the feelings of a designer..
For this particular steelbook, I doubt whoever thought up using an already used front cover and sticking some random picture of mike on the back was a "designer".

Honestly tho, I do see it as another enjoyable aspect of this site.. and a good talking point

one more thing, i loved how you did the colour blends on some of your previous mock ups. like this one:

uaty.jpg

I think you should add that kind of blend to the last mock up. but instead of fading to white fade to a really pale blue (like the door on the front cover) adding colour continuity to imagery on the front and back makes a huge difference and would turn this steel into a thing of beauty.

I vote for this. :thumbs:

Reactions: Geek Tragedy
its not garbage. its valid.

and there is a big difference between creating a computer mock up for fun, and actually dismantling a real steelbook and physically changing the artwork.

at that point it is actually a forgery, a bootleg, a fake. a product with zero authenticity.

who here is actually an artist? it seems everyone is.

however, if it true that the little mermaid steelbook is the result of peoples opinion on this site of what it should look like... then i think its better to leave the art to the artists.

can you imagine a fashion designer releasing the designs for an item of clothing, only for people to demand he/she change it. with every single design he or she produces. it makes the designer redundant. its also an insult.

how about, we just enjoy the artwork these professional artists give us? if we dont like it, dont buy it. personally, i like the idea of the designs coming from disney (or whatever studio), rather than some 'armchair artist' who think they know better by cutting and pasting random images into a steelbook template.

i think if you dont like, dont buy. in my opinion, the art coming from the studio/publisher should be final. it is their product. they are the creators. when we start dictating what design choices they should make, i think it loses authenticity.

just imagine if thats how your favorite musician worked- they released a song, the fans pick it apart, tell the artist to sing this bit differently, change the lyrics here, change the melody there.... where is the artists integrity? are you actually getting something the way it was intended?

that is how artists are ruined, by changing their sound to appeal to their growing audience, rather than simply making the music they and everyone else loved in the first place.

it seems like that is what is happening here, everyone getting so involved to the point where the art is being compromised.

and yes, some good things have come of having a group voice/community, like getting more steelbooks with artwork inside, and artwork not plastered in info/text.

personally i think it would be better to push for more content- all the extras on disc, soundtracks, booklets etc rather than try to tailor make each release so the art matches your own personal taste (which is pointless as everyone has different ideas of what is good art.)

yeh, i agree, i have seen many user generated art that looks better than the official art. ie regarding the little mermaid haha

and there is a big difference between creating a computer mock up for fun, and actually dismantling a real steelbook and physically changing the artwork.

at that point it is actually a forgery, a bootleg, a fake. a product with zero authenticity.

Fashion designers? Professional artists? Music artists? What are you talking about? :hilarious:

For the sake of continued harmony at this site, I would politely suggest that you keep your opinions to yourself.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gamesgaryjp
I doubt that there is, but HDN is a fantastic and well recognised community so this is our best shot.

Thing is, people have gripes with most of the Disney back arts, changing this one would mean changing the rest.

We did change one. Wreck it ralph. Personally this, toy story 2 and you story 3 need the back art changed. Wreck it ralph (I know isn't pixar but is still disney) used the same clip art style picture on the back and we got it changed. Why can't they do the same for these 3 terrible back arts. Some people have posted some really good designs and the guy who did the mock up back art for this a few pages back was awesome. He at least 4 amazing ones. We should try our hardest to get them changed. I can see up having awesome back art like toy story 1. No consistency