Purchase links: Zavvi

Winner:

ogf.jpg

Attachments

• thumb.jpg
    thumb.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 297
Last edited by a moderator:
Man, am I glad I didn't pay €20 for this. EEK!

Zavvi are going to be left with truck loads of these IMO. This will be 'free with any purchase' within about two weeks. Maybe, just maybe, I might consider picking it up then!

Definitely dodged a bullet by cancelling my preorder :(

Thanks for the great pics as always Sinthetic. :thumbs:

Also, I don't believe the inside is glossy. I think the fact that design is covered by plastic makes it look more shiny.

Last edited:
Why is it people are so concerned by artwork these days, I mean yeah if it looked terrible then fair enough but it clearly doesn't. What happened to buying a steel book because you like the film? I think the film is fantastic and looking at the pics the steel looks awesome too!

For me the quality of the Steelbook comes first otherwise what is the point? I may aswell stick with amarays.

The reason I buy steelbooks is to have a collectible premium version of the film that looks better than a boring blue case. I don't mind paying more for that privilege. Like I said yeah if it's really really bad then fair enough but for me it's also about the film and if I like a film enough I'll buy the steel regardless.

For me the quality of the Steelbook comes first otherwise what is the point? I may aswell stick with amarays.

I agree. I think the whole point of a steelbook is that it's a collectors edition version of whatever film/tv/game. It should be made to the highest possible quality every time.
I've been collecting for around a year and a half and the overall quality of steelbooks has rapidly declined. I think there are way too many being released too.
Out of all the distributors releasing them I think Arrow are the overall best. They always have interesting art work and pile on the features with each release (The weight of Zombie Flesh Eaters alone is worth a mention).

As for OGF I do like the design (it certainly wasn't the best) and I will definitely be getting the steel as I love the film but the quality of it looks p**s poor!

Reactions: Nickcook1845
Wasn't expecting anything top, but they could have done a better job with the front and back if they put some glossy finish like they did on the inside. ;)

I dont think it looks that bad but it sure could have look wayyy better with a propper spine and high gloss! But then again not a surprise, matte and other poor finishes is all we've been getting this year...

I agree. I think the whole point of a steelbook is that it's a collectors edition version of whatever film/tv/game. It should be made to the highest possible quality every time.
I've been collecting for around a year and a half and the overall quality of steelbooks has rapidly declined. I think there are way too many being released too.
Out of all the distributors releasing them I think Arrow are the overall best. They always have interesting art work and pile on the features with each release (The weight of Zombie Flesh Eaters alone is worth a mention).

As for OGF I do like the design (it certainly wasn't the best) and I will definitely be getting the steel as I love the film but the quality of it looks p**s poor!

Totally agree. What attracted me to steelbooks in the first place was the different artwork that they used to have. Now they seem to copy dvd versions, use poster art or just throw any old thing out. Really starting to loose what made them so special in the first place.

I dont usually complain about Steels but this one is just so very drab and bland in person. It's going back for a refund as I don't want it in my collection in the slightest. Such a shame as the film is awesome but this Steelbook isn't IMO. Slipcover will do me just fine instead.

Reactions: lgans316
Man, am I glad I didn't pay €20 for this. EEK!

Zavvi are going to be left with truck loads of these IMO. This will be 'free with any purchase' within about two weeks. Maybe, just maybe, I might consider picking it up then!

Definitely dodged a bullet by cancelling my preorder :(

Thanks for the great pics as always Sinthetic. :thumbs:

Also, I don't believe the inside is glossy. I think the fact that design is covered by plastic makes it look more shiny.

Maybe Zavvi are hoping Nicolas Winding Refn will buy in bulk, given that he allowed this whole mess to happen.

There's nothing wrong with the artwork IMO. Yes, there were better designs out there... but there were also ones that were a lot worse! The only thing I'm disappointed with is the finish, otherwise it's a fairly nice steelbook.

Whoever says there isn't a problem with the cover need their eyes checked, the picture looks so bad like it was printed using a low quality picture.

Don't even get me started on the title of the film....I can hardly bloody see it, it's so faded, more then the picture that it blends into the black background

Seriously I don't think this won because of it being good artwork, it won because I'm guessing having a bland, dull coloured steelbook is cheaper then printing bright, neon coloured, high quality picture steelbooks like most of the good ones were

I don't mind in a way but DON'T bullcrap me about the director or whatever picking this because it's the best.

1) As I've said it's probably been done because it was the cheaper option

and

2) The director did not pick this himself

Don't people want better, don't settle for crap quality looking steelbooks......look at DRIVE and compare it to this. There's a huge difference

Whoever says there isn't a problem with the cover need their eyes checked, the picture looks so bad like it was printed using a low quality picture.

Don't even get me started on the title of the film....I can hardly bloody see it, it's so faded, more then the picture that it blends into the black background

Seriously I don't think this won because of it being good artwork, it won because I'm guessing having a bland, dull coloured steelbook is cheaper then printing bright, neon coloured, high quality picture steelbooks like most of the good ones were

I don't mind in a way but DON'T bullcrap me about the director or whatever picking this because it's the best.

1) As I've said it's probably been done because it was the cheaper option

and

2) The director did not pick this himself

Don't people want better, don't settle for crap quality looking steelbooks......look at DRIVE and compare it to this. There's a huge difference

I was thinking of putting in an entry to this competition. but the artwork i would have used for the front was taken from another artist who created work inspired by the film. i imagine using that artwork for the steelbook would be a hassle, as the studio would then need to get permission from the artist, pay royalties etc.

maybe many of the entries featured such art, where they did not own the rights to use the art, so instead only considered entries with elements they have the right to use ?

the artwork i would have used for the front would have been this- http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-Wqes0ntkB...04/s1600/Only+God+Forgives+by+Randy+Ortiz.jpg

personally, i think it looks amazing

Reactions: lolwut
It would seem after Drive, Gosling and steelbooks don't mix. I suppose I'll blame all the detractors who fancied some boring generic purple key art instead.

It would seem, it's all personal taste here.

Even the most picky collector's would agree that "Drive" as a steelbook (HMV) is beautiful in its own way. Even though it's lacking inside art. It stands out and is unique.

I know it's your opinion, but if there was a thumbs down button, I would click it right now.

(no offense meant)

Reactions: lolwut
Seriously, the more I look at it, the worse it looks.

If they even made the 'comic book style dots' (which are abysmal in their own right!) and the title spot gloss, it might have redeemed it somewhat.

It just looks soooooo cheap. Reminds me of those Evil Dead 2 Steelbooks that Zavvi are still trying to flog. :(