167.6 KB · Views: 840
  • panback.jpg
    panback.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 462
  • panslab.png
    panslab.png
    16.1 KB · Views: 450
Last edited by a moderator:
There's some interesting history behind this cover image, as it was the rejected art for the UK one-sheet poster designed by Drew Struzan, who did the iconic poster for the 1982 version of 'The Thing' and couple of the Indiana Jones movies. The design was discarded by studio execs, who opted for the more familiar 'gateway' artwork, and who explained they didn't use it because "it looks too much like art."

It was used for the cover of the soundtrack album, but some people will be very pleased to see Struzan's painting finally being used to sell the film.

The details:

http://www.filmonpaper.com/posters/pans-labyrinth-one-sheet-special-uk/

I don't have a major problem with that cover image. I just wish the title was there to add to the look. To me, the title of movies is part of the excitement. It's part of the artwork. When I pick up Commando, I don't look at the cover, see the title, and then become disappointed that it's there. No. I look at the front and I'm like... "Yah! COMMANDO! Bitchin." And then suddenly I just want to eat a pile of dirt and grunt.

I don't see that beautifully embossed golden "Aladdin" and think to myself... "Gah, what a waste of space. Way to ruin a good cover!"

See? Pan's Labyrinth should be stamped right on the front. Debossed would be just fine with me.

But the main issue I have with this one is the back.

Please Zavvi.. if you are reading this (and everyone else's comments)... PLEASE change the back.

Nobody on earth is gonna look at that back cover and say "Cool! That's awesome!".

No. Pretty much everybody will be like "Ewww. Gross." Understand?

I disagree with #1
But #2 has some merit.
As for #3 that might be a strange choice if it's locked as zavvi does have more than region B customers there kind of tying one hand behind there back in regards to our u.s friends.

Zavvi just sell the product, they have no say over region coding any more than HMV or Tesco.

Titles are usually locked at the request of the studio that owns the movie. Just look at Universal. Any title they release themselves is region free, no matter what country it comes out in.

Any title they licence out is region locked at their request. Masters of Cinema even state it on their Universal releases as such. The Criterion collection are AFAIK always region locked because they licence the films out. Shout/Scream Factory are the same. Masters of Cinema and Arrow do the same in the UK.

Reactions: digitalbabe
Zavvi just sell the product, they have no say over region coding any more than HMV or Tesco.

Titles are usually locked at the request of the studio that owns the movie. Just look at Universal. Any title they release themselves is region free, no matter what country it comes out in.

Any title they licence out is region locked at their request. Masters of Cinema even state it on their Universal releases as such. The Criterion collection are AFAIK always region locked because they licence the films out. Shout/Scream Factory are the same. Masters of Cinema and Arrow do the same in the UK.

It's a very very silly practice to region lock movies. Whatever laws are in place due to licensing restrictions are stupid and completely unnecessary.

Until somebody explains the benefit of locking these movies to restricted regions (even knowing full well that blu rays and bought and traded around the world in all regards), then I will maintain that it is just a nonsensical technicality that needs to be done away with.

Think about it. There is no point to locking blu rays. All it does is cause problems. It helps zero people on earth. (except maybe the manufacturers and distributors of Region Free blu ray players :hilarious:)

Interesting artwork choice. Didn't someone claim only yesterday that Struzan's artwork would never happen?

I originally got the Del Toro Collection, but thought the pop-up bit looked really bad, so I decided I might as well get rid of it and get the individual releases instead. That strategy paid off.

I'm glad there's NO title on the front, but I wish the back artwork were in the same style as the front one.

EDIT: Actually, I think a concept drawing of some sort could make a great back, even if it's not a Struzan.

Last edited:
yeah, well the back rly looks bad.. perhaps theyll change it, if enough ppl complain-> see sixth sense..

but i dont rly care as ill only display the front .. and the front is one of the best imho

Reactions: Ataneruo
Oh man! I had high hopes but the back artwork just ruins it for me :(

I don't see why we couldn't use this for the front:

[
IMG]http://cinekatz.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/wallpaper_pans_labyrinth_1280x1024.jpg[/IMG]

and keep this for the back instead:

View attachment 42635

+1 with you. Come on Zavvi please change the back artwork :movie:

edit: excellent idea vivaperu

Reactions: Ataneruo
Further to my post:
The image used for the front should be the back and artwork from the German version should be the front. Very disappointing as it is.

and vivaperu348's post, the front should be this (minus the text but including the title of course):

pans_labyrinth_ver6.jpg

yes, but its not.. and i dont think theyll change it, because most ppl like it

Just because it's unlikely they'll change it, doesn't mean we can't express our opinions. I don't agree that most people like it. The current artwork is hideous, they've lost a sale from me (and I assume many others) whereas i'm sure most would be happy with the combination suggested by vivaperu348.

Just because it's unlikely they'll change it, doesn't mean we can't express our opinions. I don't agree that most people like it. The current artwork is hideous, they've lost a sale from me (and I assume many others) whereas i'm sure most would be happy with the combination suggested by vivaperu348.

from what ive read here:

front = awesome
back = hideous

and what does this have to do with not letting ppl express their opinion ? ive just *expressed* my opinion that i dont want the front changed and that it most likely wont get changed

Right, I could also be happy if they decided to keep the front cover art is and use the Tree with Ofelia on the back without the title since they seem to want to follow a similar model as the From Dusk To Dawn Steelbook. I agree that a lot of users like the cover art but I haven't heard anyone say how much they love the back art!

Last edited:
Reactions: Ataneruo and harry