Region Free Blu-ray Players (World Wide List)

Wreck

Is Here To Serve
Staff Member
Jan 26, 2009
USA
Post models/tips here for multi-region players.

Models for Purchase in the US

OPPO BDP-103-Link -requires kit to make region free.

SONY BDP-S1100 Link

Models for Purchase in the UK

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello everyone,

I read through a bunch of the posts but not everything. Hopefully this hasn't been asked.

Is there a region free Blu Ray player that plays all regions without having to modify anything, that just plays them?

No, either it gets region unlocked with a code or it is a hardware modification on most, not all players. Also realize that on most Blu-ray players that the DVD region unlocking is completely different than the Blu-ray region unlocking. There are a lot of players that you can unlock the region for DVD with just a code but most players that you want to unlock the Blu-ray region coding requires a hardware modification.

The Insignia player they are all talking about, I believe it only requires a code to unlock both DVD and Blu-ray which is making it very popular. If you want top quality then an Oppo is probably your best bet but it will require a hardware mod in order to unlock all regions of the Blu-ray. :)

Reactions: movieknight
I think I'm gonna bite the bullet and get the Insignia player. But rather than getting it from BestBuy, does anyone think there's any wrong with buying it off of eBay for a lower price? Some people have it going for as cheap as $36 shipped, but coming without its original box and instructions. As long as the player and the remote is there, I should be all good, right?

I think I'm gonna bite the bullet and get the Insignia player. But rather than getting it from BestBuy, does anyone think there's any wrong with buying it off of eBay for a lower price? Some people have it going for as cheap as $36 shipped, but coming without its original box and instructions. As long as the player and the remote is there, I should be all good, right?

The firmware may have been updated rendering the region free unlock useless. As long as you can restore it though, to the original factory settings, you should be fine. I think I remember reading that some people had luck restoring the original settings, and being able to play region free.

It's a gamble though because if you can't get it to work, you may not be able to return it. At least if you bought it at best buy, you could always bring it back.

Just got this in the mail from Best Buy, looking forward to trying this puppy out...hopefully I have no troubles with downgrading the firmware and getting the hack code installed, usually these type of projects don't always go smooth sailing for me.

Can't wait to watch Drive and Tinker Tailor....

Is there Toshiba player is the USA market ? I know Toshiba do make them, BDX1200 for normal 2D and BDX3200 for 3D capable. I got mine from Amazon UK, pretty affordable.

There are firmware that makes this player region free as I've mentioned before.

Can the Insignia power rating be change from 110-220V ? Anyone can confirm ?

Buying this BR player was the biggest mistake. Now I am going back and buying all the region locked disc I wanted, but did not get because they were locked. I have already spent 275.00 this month on region b disk

Ok, I just got the Insignia NS-WBRDVD2 and I can't get the region free menu up. I rolled back the firmware to the Feb2011 one, but it's still not working. I tried googling what I could do, and one thread said you need the August 2010 firmware. Problem is, Insignia's website only has one previous firmware on their site and I can't find anything earlier than the Feb2011.

Anyone know where I can find the older firmware versions??

Hello everyone,

I read through a bunch of the posts but not everything. Hopefully this hasn't been asked.

Is there a region free Blu Ray player that plays all regions without having to modify anything, that just plays them?

The Canadian Seiki can be set so that the DVD is region 0 -- which plays every DVD.

The BD region, however needs to be set, but it is all under menu options. That is about as easy you can get for a region free player, I think!

Ok, I just got the Insignia NS-WBRDVD2 and I can't get the region free menu up. I rolled back the firmware to the Feb2011 one, but it's still not working. I tried googling what I could do, and one thread said you need the August 2010 firmware. Problem is, Insignia's website only has one previous firmware on their site and I can't find anything earlier than the Feb2011.

Anyone know where I can find the older firmware versions??

Check on this thread on page 2 or 3, Steelbook86 posted the firmware you need to download.

Thats the same model I got. I did not read all the directions at first. But now it's easy to do. !st hit the set-up button, then enter 9113 and voila, there should now be an option for
set up on the left side, click the setup option and select region B

My insignia came today. For anyone having problems getting to the code to work I would recommend hitting the buttons slowly. I was pushing the numbers too fast at first and it wouldn't work. I punched the code in slowly and now it works every time.