Region Free Blu-ray Players (World Wide List)

Wreck

Is Here To Serve
Staff Member
Jan 26, 2009
USA
Post models/tips here for multi-region players.

Models for Purchase in the US

OPPO BDP-103-Link -requires kit to make region free.

SONY BDP-S1100 Link

Models for Purchase in the UK

Last edited by a moderator:
I bought an Oppo dvd player a few years back because I have such a large collection of imported dvds, and I really love it.

How are the Oppo bluray players, though? I assume they're region free as well, but are they region free for both dvd and blu format's, or just one or the other?

I don't see why the Oppo wouldn't be region free for both formats. The Insignia has the option for both DVD/Blu Ray to enable region free. Oppo being more expensive, it would suck if it didn't came with that option. Hopefully someone with Oppo could chime in:)

I don't see why the Oppo wouldn't be region free for both formats. The Insignia has the option for both DVD/Blu Ray to enable region free. Oppo being more expensive, it would suck if it didn't came with that option. Hopefully someone with Oppo could chime in:)

So, there are separate unlocking for both formats? Oppo should have both, I assume, but players generally have to unlock twice for dvd and bluray? THat's what I'm concerned about...

Insignia has the hack where it takes you to a hidden menu and from there you can change what region you want for both formats. The only thing with this player is that it goes back to Region A after you turn it off, nothing major just click on the menu and change the settings again:)

Reactions: punit
So, there are separate unlocking for both formats? Oppo should have both, I assume, but players generally have to unlock twice for dvd and bluray? THat's what I'm concerned about...

In the sep menu, you just choose which region you want. BD has its own category and so does DVD ... so you could change that as well.

hey guys i got my insignia player today, i followed the steps to play B discs and it's awesome ...i was able to play my PILLARS OF THE EARTH and TORTUGA...i tried some others with no problem at all...thank you again guys no more double dipping for me :)

ok UPDATE TIME!!!!
the problem was not the Insignia but my Video Settings on my PS3. i had RBG for video settings and The insignia was Outputting in Y Pb/Cb/Cr signal, i switched my settings on Ps3 to Y video and it was showing the Black Crushing:( now i have to Recalibrate my TV to Y Video settings.

You need to install a small kit into the oppo player to make it region free.
It uses the remote control to select region for Bluray and DVD is region free when you installed the kit.

The video processor in that oppo is top during that time, 3 years back. But most of the current player now is able to produce quite a good video processing.

I bought an Oppo dvd player a few years back because I have such a large collection of imported dvds, and I really love it.

How are the Oppo bluray players, though? I assume they're region free as well, but are they region free for both dvd and blu format's, or just one or the other?

ok UPDATE TIME!!!!
the problem was not the Insignia but my Video Settings on my PS3. i had RBG for video settings and The insignia was Outputting in Y Pb/Cb/Cr signal, i switched my settings on Ps3 to Y video and it was showing the Black Crushing:( now i have to Recalibrate my TV to Y Video settings.

What do you mean "black crushing" ?

What do you mean "black crushing" ?

this
IMAG0075.jpg

and this
IMAG0078.jpg

this
IMAG0075.jpg

and this
IMAG0078.jpg

oh k. so basically lost details in the blacks if Im understanding correct. And your PS3 is doing this ?

Im just trying to understand what was the problem to begin with? The Insignia picture quality due to wrong input setting?

Last edited:
i fixed it:) i had to recalibrate my Video settings on the TV, so now both Players Have the Same Picture Quality:scat: now the only thing that sucks is some region Locked Disc dont have the same Audio tracks as the one from region A:(
Like Rambo German steelbook Has 5.1 and the one from the US amaray has 7.1 Audio:scat: just a small nitpick of mine:D

I am surprised only one person has commented on the Seiki BD660.

If you live in Canada, it is a must. I believe it was $40 over Boxing Week at XS Cargo.

i fixed it:) i had to recalibrate my Video settings on the TV, so now both Players Have the Same Picture Quality:scat: now the only thing that sucks is some region Locked Disc dont have the same Audio tracks as the one from region A:(
Like Rambo German steelbook Has 5.1 and the one from the US amaray has 7.1 Audio:scat: just a small nitpick of mine:D

^^^^ Congrats. Im glad you got it all sorted out. I didn't think there was much of a picture diff btwn the two when comparing.

As for the differences between discs, yes, that is sadly sometimes the case. I hear Canada has a lot of bluray releases with better picture and sound over even USA releases... not sure if its true though.

Im just fine as long as there is

I am surprised only one person has commented on the Seiki BD660.

If you live in Canada, it is a must. I believe it was $40 over Boxing Week at XS Cargo.

^^ yes sonic that is another good cheap one as well. I didn't know xs cargo had it for that price or I would have gone for that. Only Walmart when I was buying and they had it for $80 or $90 I think so I opted to just get the Insignia one from CL for $50 new.

I think I'm gonna have to pull the trigger on this Insignia, especially with Drive (HMV) and Tinker Tailor (Amz UK) en route. Probably long overdue, considering how many steels I have. I've put it off long enough, I had no idea one could be had for as little as $49.99 and Insignia? to boot?

BB has one 3D player on sale now for $99.99 USD, will the trick work to set it region free???

Insignia™ - 3D Wi-Fi Built-In Blu-ray Player
Model: NS-WBRDVD3 SKU: 2543428

link