Region Free Blu-ray Players (World Wide List)

Wreck

Is Here To Serve
Staff Member
Jan 26, 2009
USA
Post models/tips here for multi-region players.

Models for Purchase in the US

OPPO BDP-103-Link -requires kit to make region free.

SONY BDP-S1100 Link

Models for Purchase in the UK

Last edited by a moderator:
Can someone that has the Oppo BDP-93 answer a question for me? Does it have an internal wireless adapter or is it an adapter that you plug into the ethernet port. This is what it says on the Oppo website about it's network capabilities.
Wireless & Ethernet – Using the included wireless-N adapter or the built-in RJ45 Ethernet port, users will be able to interact with BD-Live content, watch instant streaming programs from provides such as Netflix, Blockbuster etc., playback contents stored on their home network, and keep the BDP-93 up-to-date with firmware releases to ensure maximum Blu-ray compatibility.

They make it seem like it has a connectable adapter. Is it not built into the player?

Does anyone have any experience with the I.C.O.S region free mod kit? I'm thinking about buying a Pioneer with that mod kit installed.

Hey guys-FYI-this works with several Panasonic players(makes player region free for Blu-Rays).

Thanks Jung @ TBS-

All you need to do is load up the disc. When the message pops up that says the disc will only play in a Region B or C player pops up, press "stop" on the remote control. Then press "1" on the remote, followed by "enter." This will bypass the message and load up the disc to play normally.

Reactions: megabee and ocielz
Hey guys-this is confirmed to work on several Panasonic Blu-Ray players (you need to try your model). It makes the player region free for BD playback.

Thanks Jung @ TBS-

All you need to do is load up the disc. When the message pops up that says the disc will only play in a Region B or C player pops up, press "stop" on the remote control. Then press "1" on the remote, followed by "enter." This will bypass the message and load up the disc to play normally.

I checked this trick on a hardware-modified Panasonic BD35.
The player was set to region C.
Equilibrium Canada, A-locked: does not play with STOP+TOP MENU, plays with this trick, but I had to do 1+OK twice.
Burke and Hare, B-locked, STOP+TOP MENU was not checked, this 1-trick plays after second attempt.
Machete, AB-locked, does not play with the trick, in fact cannot even properly stop it. Pressing Function button stopped the disc, but 1+OK does not start playback anyway.

Little more than a month after purchasing it, and my Insignia player busted on me >=( I was watching All Star Superman, fast forwarding to the scene I last turned the player off on (cuz it refuses to save my place in a movie when I power the player off) and it froze on me. I powered down, restarted everything, and now all the player does is spin the disc and eject the tray. I've tried multiple discs, unplugging the player from the wall, reinstalling the firmware, and the player does the same thing: Load to Insignia settings menu, I press play on the remote, the disc spins loudly, and the tray ejects automatically...

Sigh, and since it's over thirty days I'm guessing Best Buy is gonna give me problems returning it

I'm using ICOS for my earlier version of USA BD35, they are kind a cool when I first started using it 3 years back. ;)

Press 1 and power on for Region A, 2 for B and 3 for C.
That's simple. Till today, still going good. no issues with firmware upgrade too.:scat:

Does anyone have any experience with the I.C.O.S region free mod kit? I'm thinking about buying a Pioneer with that mod kit installed.

---------- Post added at 01:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:06 PM ----------

I'm not sure if you should try this.
Re-load the firmware again to see if this reset your player.:p

Little more than a month after purchasing it, and my Insignia player busted on me >=( I was watching All Star Superman, fast forwarding to the scene I last turned the player off on (cuz it refuses to save my place in a movie when I power the player off) and it froze on me. I powered down, restarted everything, and now all the player does is spin the disc and eject the tray. I've tried multiple discs, unplugging the player from the wall, reinstalling the firmware, and the player does the same thing: Load to Insignia settings menu, I press play on the remote, the disc spins loudly, and the tray ejects automatically...

Sigh, and since it's over thirty days I'm guessing Best Buy is gonna give me problems returning it

You might be okay, since Insignia is Best Buy's in-house brand they might be more willing to do an exchange for you after 30 days then they typically would with another brand (just a thought, not a guarantee)

I checked this trick on a hardware-modified Panasonic BD35.
The player was set to region C.
Equilibrium Canada, A-locked: does not play with STOP+TOP MENU, plays with this trick, but I had to do 1+OK twice.
Burke and Hare, B-locked, STOP+TOP MENU was not checked, this 1-trick plays after second attempt.
Machete, AB-locked, does not play with the trick, in fact cannot even properly stop it. Pressing Function button stopped the disc, but 1+OK does not start playback anyway.

Hey Mega-it's possible the trick only works on non-modified players. One of our players is a BD35, and is not modified, and the trick worked fine.

Well, after a not to smooth debacle between Best Buy, Insignia, back to Best Buy, back to Insignia, and then to a Best Buy store in person, I was able to get a gift card made out for the full amount I paid for the player.

But now I'm so disenfranchised with the entire return process and the low reviews for the player that I'm too scared to pull the trigger on re-ordering the same model again. My first Best Buy call said Insignia had a 90 day warranty and to talk to them. My first Insignia call said that they offer no warranty on refurbished players and that I need to talk to Best Buy. My second Best Buy call then said that they spoke to their supervisor and that "Insignia will take care of you (me)" and then called Insignia for me before disconnecting themselves. My second Insignia call (that I was transfered to) said Best Buy has no idea what they're talking about and called my local b&m store and disconnected themselves while I had to explain (for a fifth time!) to the employee what all had just happened. Thankfully she said I could come in and get things worked out (plus I think she and her other girl employees thought I was cute) and just gave me a gift card for the full amount and had me leave on my merry way...

Now I just gotta figure out what to do with this dam thing cuz I hate shopping at Best Buy stores (for obvious reasons).

What model is it??

Hey Mega-it's possible the trick only works on non-modified players. One of our players is a BD35, and is not modified, and the trick worked fine.

Modified player is indistinguishable from a non-modified player with the same region, that is selected before powering. Firmware updates, etc. are done in standard way. It should be considered as a player with switchable region.

I set it to C, to test with A, B, or AB discs.
Machete (AB) did not play, other locked ones played.

What I am saying is that not every locked disc is subject to this trick.

Hi Mega, interesting...yes, mentioned the 'maybe only works on 'non-modified' because I wasn't sure how exactly the trick 'saw' the player when the trick is performed. I have two other players that are remote hacked, and never owned a modified one-thanks for the useful info! :scat:

Well, to be clear, hardware modification works like this:
When player is in power off mode, the region can be selected via standard remote. After turning on, the player IS that region.

I can test the trick with more locked discs on weekend. But there are certain discs which do not react to STOP button (operation prohibited). They can be stopped via FUNCTION button, however, but what is further to do is case by case.

What I like about region-free or modified players is the freedom they give. I do not pay any attention whether the disc I want is locked or not, and to what region - anything plays.