Region Free Blu-ray Players (World Wide List)

Wreck

Is Here To Serve
Staff Member
Jan 26, 2009
USA
Post models/tips here for multi-region players.

Models for Purchase in the US

OPPO BDP-103-Link -requires kit to make region free.

SONY BDP-S1100 Link

Models for Purchase in the UK

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone using Insignia player have problem with 7.1 sound? I put LPCM sound from the player and haven't been able to get 7.1 sound it only works if I put it to Bitstream. Anyone else have this problem?

Region Free Blu-ray Player Seiki BD660

Another vote for the Seiki BD660. My Vision Quest died on me after 3 years so I went out on got this one off E-Bay ($124 cdn). Wasn't willing to drop $500+ for the Oppo just yet. Right of the bat it worked like a charm. You just enter the unhack code 8520 and you change it to Region B in the set up menu and the best part is you can actually see it so no need to do it 10 times until it works.

Last night I was finally able to watch my my UK version of Spinal Tap . I bought it 2 years ago but it wouldn't play in my VQ. That alone makes it a great investment :)

Cheers!

I just bought a brand new Seiki BD660 at my local Walmart this morning for $49.45 (that includes $1.45 environmental charge) plus taxes. :scat:
If you have a local Walmart you might want to check it out before resorting to ebay.

Reactions: Shanester
Seiki BD660

Update: I went to another Walmart in town and it appears that the $48 dollar price for the Seiki BD660 may be only from May 11 to 17. It is normally $78 Cdn. so if you are interested you should check it out this week.

Oppo are widely considered the best BD players for the money and can be made region free with a separate mod. The mod is very cool because it gives you the choice of either installing it internally or externally if you do not feel comfortable opening the player up. Do some research on these two models---

BDP-93
BDP-95

Hope this helps you.

I have to agree, the Oppo BDP-93 all the way. Found the hardware mod on FleaBay for $35. Switching between regions is fast and a breeze. Best damn Blu-ray player I've ever had. There $500 but worth every penny IMO. :scat:

I have the Panasonic BD-55 and the trick mentioned above to make the player region free does work on this unit, but only on certain discs. I was able to play the region B blu-rays for Silent Running and Rolling Thunder, but no luck with Super, Devil's Double, and The Artist. So thanks for the tip, it helps play some discs I ordinarily would need to replace with R1 versions, except in the case of Rolling Thunder and Silent Running there are no R1 versions available on blu-ray.

I also have a Panasonic BD-something (German).
Just try another number, Dark City from the USA wouldn't play on 1, on 2 only the intro played and on 3 the entire film.
Might work on yours as well.

Recently picked up an Insignia cheap from BBY and used the region free firmware update. It was only $40. It will only be used for other region blu's while my Panasonic remains the main player.

Recently picked up an Insignia cheap from BBY and used the region free firmware update. It was only $40. It will only be used for other region blu's while my Panasonic remains the main player.

That's what I do too. Just use my Seiki for locked discs.

:welcome: btw

I live in the uk.

We're is the best place to get a region free blu ray player from

Purchase a Toshiba BDX3200 and install the Australian firmware. Region free for DVDs and you can switch between A, B and C for Blu-rays. It's also a 3D player if that interests you.

Reactions: megabee
Hey guys-this is confirmed to work on several Panasonic Blu-Ray players (you need to try your model). It makes the player region free for BD playback.

Thanks Jung @ TBS-

All you need to do is load up the disc. When the message pops up that says the disc will only play in a Region B or C player pops up, press "stop" on the remote control. Then press "1" on the remote, followed by "enter." This will bypass the message and load up the disc to play normally.

I can confirm that this worked on my Panasonic DMP BD65.
Very happy with this player in general too.