The Aviator (Blu-ray SteelBook) (Zavvi Exclusive) [UK]

digitalbabe

Premium Supporter
Apr 12, 2009
USA
Release date: March 30,2014
Purchase link: The Aviator Sold Out
Price: £16.99
Notes: Worldwide Exclusive Artwork, Limited to 2000 units, Embossed ,Spot Gloss finish

10892766-1389359282-77530.jpg

I0ncyg4.png

65ITV5g.png

y4GKWmB.png

Last edited by a moderator:
mine arrived today - I really like it.
imo, its not gloss - the title and plane are like bare silver, but catch the light very nicely.
its not as poorly finished as the warner recent zavvi efforts (gremlins etc, that from certain angles look really bad) - it could be brighter for sure, but its certainly not as bad as so many are making it out to be.

I think the best thing for zavvi to do from now on is to not offer any advance info regarding gloss or embossing/debssing - if plans are likely to change then they should just announce title and release dates and nothing more - until the steelbook is in production and they can give exact info, not guesswork.

I think if they had not promised gloss, there would be no complaints - perhaps the trouble over this will lead them to this very conclusion.

Reactions: Thelite13
Zavvi Exclusive Limited Edition Steelbook With Embossed Title Treatment and Gloss Finish. Ultra Limited Print Run. This Product is Limited to 2000 Copies.

If you go by the site description it is clearly not as described and people can complain. Personally I feel misled.

To the people who are going to put the US/CA disc, think twice as it has a low bit rate VC-1 encode and lossy audio (yet another lab experiment project by Warner).

Go for the German disc which is the best in terms of PQ, SQ and extras.

Oh damn, that was what I was going to do. I'll hold on to my region A disc in case my multi region BD player dies on me so I can eventually swap, but lossy audio, that sucks.

I agree. I quite like it. It certainly is not gloss. It's a premium matte finish which feels very smooth. It's similar to blufans godfather. It's more of a matte varnish on the black section with metallic on the rest. Only bit I dislike is the weird effect on the back.

But this is no point break or gremlins. This is very nice.

Edit: I think the title has gloss on it. It's smoother again than the rest of the steelbook. So zavvi didn't lie :hilarious: there is gloss on it :)

Edit2: the plane also has a thin layer of spot gloss on it. You can definitely feel it.

Last edited:
Reactions: darczap
I agree. I quite like it. It certainly is not gloss. It's a premium matte finish which feels very smooth. It's similar to blufans godfather. It's more of a matte varnish on the black section with metallic on the rest. Only bit I dislike is the weird effect on the back.

But this is no point break or gremlins. This is very nice.

Edit: I think the title has gloss on it. It's smoother again than the rest of the steelbook. So zavvi didn't lie :hilarious: there is gloss on it :)

I don't have it in hand yet but from the pics I like it. Arguably the best Aviator Blu-Ray Steelbook out there to date. Love the movie too.

Reactions: ricster
Blah, blah, blah.... :hilarious:

I want the most information possible about what Im buying.

Looks great, cant wait! My copies should be here soon....

•I WISH KimchiDvD Or Blufans would make an Exclusive of this! Full Lenti Slip! Amazing artwork. With the back-artwork of Leo with his hand on the plane, and the mirror reflection of his face on the Polished steel plane..I could see it now...An instant semi-Grail on Par with Drive HMV...

My Scorsese Steels so Far...............pic

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    129.3 KB · Views: 69
Last edited:
Think mine arrived yesterday, but just got home and opened it up.

When you open up the box it looks seriously classy, and it feels a bit heavier than some. Title isn't silver but gold, as is the plane.

Vast improvement on what everyone had been expecting, I think.

Very happy :)

Last edited:
What's with this new trend of black-and-white inside artwork? Seems like a way to save color ink. Never mind the matte finish and boring front.

It does have a couple positives: embossing and limited run.

I'm not a fan of Zavvi but I think everyone's gone way over the top on this one with the criticism.

Flavour of the month seems to be to diss all things matte but this steelbook has the best title embossing since Thor, and the sepia tinge with matte finishing gives it a perfect ageing effect for the era of the movie. I for one really like it.

Or people are starting to realize the huge jump in quality a gloss finish can make (some of which can be attributed to the great work in the Custom Gloss thread). I prefer vivid, vibrant colors/deep blacks over dull colors and streaky finishes. Personally I think all steelbooks should be glossy, with exceptions for vintage, classic artwork. Matte is cheaper (and looks it).

So today is the official release date. Any clue as to when they are going to put up the "extra" copies Wreck was mentioning or did they just end up overselling during the last "cancellation" release?

And as for those who received this steelbook already, don't like what they did with the finish and want to return it to zavvi, how about offering it up to those Ninjas who weren't able to get it, but still want it despite hearing all the negative comments here *cough* *want* *cough*? :naughty: :canada:

Cheers!

Well having looked at it in hand I have to say that at least the finish is a smooth matte as opposed to the usual crap streaky matte finish. If they had used spot gloss on the plane and possibly for the city below it would have looked similar to how they did the Untouchables or Shooter. It would have looked beautiful. Zavvi have offered me a discount, just waiting to find out the percentage.

Yeah feel the backdrop of the city then feel the plane. Its definitly gloss just very light. Opened mine and embossed is misaligned and the spine is slightly out of posistion.. anyone else got this?

Yeah feel the backdrop of the city then feel the plane. Its definitly gloss just very light. Opened mine and embossed is misaligned and the spine is slightly out of posistion.. anyone else got this?

I was just about to post about the title, but I wasn't sure whether that was the effect they were going for.

So today is the official release date. Any clue as to when they are going to put up the "extra" copies Wreck was mentioning or did they just end up overselling during the last "cancellation" release?

And as for those who received this steelbook already, don't like what they did with the finish and want to return it to zavvi, how about offering it up to those Ninjas who weren't able to get it, but still want it despite hearing all the negative comments here *cough* *want* *cough*? :naughty: :canada:

Cheers!

They were planning on selling them sometime this week. But as updates become available, we will post. Thanks.