The Aviator (Blu-ray SteelBook) (Zavvi Exclusive) [UK]

digitalbabe

Premium Supporter
Apr 12, 2009
USA
Release date: March 30,2014
Purchase link: The Aviator Sold Out
Price: £16.99
Notes: Worldwide Exclusive Artwork, Limited to 2000 units, Embossed ,Spot Gloss finish

10892766-1389359282-77530.jpg

I0ncyg4.png

65ITV5g.png

y4GKWmB.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Mine has arrived, looks pretty good from what I can see of the artwork and the title is great but my copy is dented to hell at one corner. Bent horribly. Hoping that with all these returns I may be able to sneak another copy from them as I definitely want to own one!

Just received this Facebook message 2 minutes ago.

Hi Steve,

I am sorry that this error has occurred, I will raise this with the appropriate department for this to be investigated.

Would you like to return this? If so I can arrange free post details for you.

If you would like to keep this I can arrange a partial refund.

Please advise what you want to proceed with.

Thanks,
Jordan

Reactions: lolwut
Just received this Facebook message 2 minutes ago.

Hi Steve,

I am sorry that this error has occurred, I will raise this with the appropriate department for this to be investigated.

Would you like to return this? If so I can arrange free post details for you.

If you would like to keep this I can arrange a partial refund.

Please advise what you want to proceed with.

Thanks,
Jordan

Partial refund will be £2 at most.

Why would you accept a 20% refund if it is such a big problem that you feel the need to contact Trading Standards? It is a complete non-issue as DB told us that it wouldn't be full gloss in advance. You've seen an opportunity to try and claw back a few pounds, that's the reality of this situation. If you're that desperate for money, I can PayPal you a few quid.

:hilarious:

This is a €10 steel max.
People are right to ask for a partial refund.
If you don't get a refund that suits then send it back at their cost.

Zavvi will only learn when they're hit financially.

UK - Aviator

Matte Varnish finish on the black parts with metallic shine elsewhere. Spot Gloss on the title and on the plane.

Stunning steelbook but they have to go and ruin it on the back. Stupid effect on Leo's face. Why they didnt just put the under coat on the back so it didnt do it, I dont know.

All images can be clicked on for a closer view. They are all high res and can be viewed at full scale.

dWFkn7x.jpg

Bls1BjH.jpg

uf7vta7.jpg

jqpXUsH.jpg

i2apTrA.jpg

5rMoUC4.jpg

XZq4Lvr.jpg

fvUbSOH.jpg

Uf3bBMB.jpg

Below are shots to help show the finishing on the steel.

HDN EXCLUSIVE SHOTS
---------------------------

NC7uov9.jpg

wtYGTgk.jpg

wALZnun.jpg

SXuGf31.jpg

4GsNMmz.jpg

pBAu6YZ.jpg

w20SgpS.jpg

xOaVKfz.jpg

HDN EXCLUSIVE FINISHING SHOT
Extremely close up shot to help show you the paint job

0D5PaUC.jpg

Pn9m5PN.jpg

vutfsVN.jpg

86aXveg.jpg

30MfeeA.jpg

8iyNe5u.jpg

mbx1Z5D.jpg

Z6Q8rM2.jpg

BDix0xa.jpg

Z5tWh51.jpg

9Cs5g85.jpg

19pnBxw.jpg

Last edited:
I dont think there is any steelbook that looks good without the undercoat, It just looks cheap when you can see the raw metal through the artwork, I think zavvi's Finding Nemo looks terrible because of this.

I like matte steelbooks, but they have to be done right (Touch of Evil, District 9, Heat, Taxi Driver,)

Last edited:
That Steelbooks finish is dull & the artwork should have been glossed with the plane on the cover with matte finish, just to make it pop a bit, or make the hole artwork gloss & have the plane embossed.

I'm not a fan of Zavvi but I think everyone's gone way over the top on this one with the criticism.

Flavour of the month seems to be to diss all things matte, but this steelbook has the best title embossing since Thor, and the sepia tinge with matte finishing gives it a perfect ageing effect for the era of the movie. I for one really like it.

I'm looking forward to getting this
I don't have it on Blu-ray
Extras look good

The Steelbook still looks good to me even though it's a matte finish
Yes Zavvi need to put correct description details on there website and if that information changes they should inform customers of that change

If they don't know 100% in the first place they should not advertise wrong information
Surely these studios should show them a sample of the finished product before it's agreed to post a description
With this been limited to 2000 it still would have sold out if advertised as a matte finish
They need to advertise correct information or wait till they know 100% before they do

Overall I'm happy I have this on order and more important I like the film itself

I can picture Howard Hughes OCD it's not glossy and locking himself away in a room
Screaming it's not glossy:hilarious:

Last edited:
im no doubt going to get alot of stick for this, but im pleasently surprised with this..after reading all the posts on this i was bracing myself when i opened this but then the more i had it in hand the more i started to like it. i fully understand peoples reactions to it not being as advertised,im just as annoyed its not glossed but to be fair like i say once its in hand its better than expecting…plus ive got two and they both have the same sort of mark/line on the spine side of the lower slip but not exactly the same and im not sure if its part of the design or marks on the seal.anyone else have this???

I tried not to read this thread yesterday because I didn't recieve mine but I couldn't help it last night and was getting really worried. Got it today and I'm not a massive fan of this considering I thought the colours were going to be brighter on this and was kinda expecting full gloss or spot gloss plane. Does annoy me. I have given zavvi an earful today regarding the not as described issue. And I've only done that with the wicker man, aliens and this before anyone has a go at me for complaining to them about it. Everyone who pre orderd all 3 of those should know what I mean and I have my right to. Maybe if they sent out updates regarding finish changes/ date changes/ disc and content changes they wouldn't get as much of a bashing. And I know it's not always down to them what the final product is but them and the studios can communicate to each other when these things do change and we should be updated. Give people the chance to cancel or not. Zavvi have released some stunning steels and I'm also a fan of some matte steels that others don't seem to always like but the communication is just terrible.

Can we have a thread about light hearted Steelbook stories. Make a change from all this stuff I've been reading today.
:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have just opened mine and the plane is definitely glossy in my opinion. The light doesn't reflect off it as much as you would expect, but I think that's down to the bare metal showing. If you run your finger over it, you can feel the gloss. The most disappointing thing about this for me is the back and the effect that Ricster described, it is pretty annoying when held in the light.