The Aviator (Blu-ray SteelBook) (Zavvi Exclusive) [UK]

digitalbabe

Premium Supporter
Apr 12, 2009
USA
Release date: March 30,2014
Purchase link: The Aviator Sold Out
Price: £16.99
Notes: Worldwide Exclusive Artwork, Limited to 2000 units, Embossed ,Spot Gloss finish

10892766-1389359282-77530.jpg

I0ncyg4.png

65ITV5g.png

y4GKWmB.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Mine arrived this morning and I've found the gloss other than on the title...
Would be very bizarre if it was just mine but the bottom, top and sides of my steel are glossy!
But surely this would make it even more strange that they didn't gloss the whole thing, whoever manufactured it?!

Mine arrived this morning and I've found the gloss other than on the title...
Would be very bizarre if it was just mine but the bottom, top and sides of my steel are glossy!
But surely this would make it even more strange that they didn't gloss the whole thing, whoever manufactured it?!

Can you take pics?

Sorry UZO, not too sure how to attach pics yet. As you can see I'm pretty new to all this. Hopefully another member can help out?
As a follow on though, IMO the plane image on the front of the steel is in fact spot gloss. Caught in exactly the right light you can see the difference in shine to what I originally though was zero finish. You can also clearly notice the difference in texture to the rest of front art if you run your fingers over it.

Sorry UZO, not too sure how to attach pics yet. As you can see I'm pretty new to all this. Hopefully another member can help out?
As a follow on though, IMO the plane image on the front of the steel is in fact spot gloss. Caught in exactly the right light you can see the difference in shine to what I originally though was zero finish. You can also clearly notice the difference in texture to the rest of front art if you run your fingers over it.

Click post reply, under the text entry you'll see a button for manage attachments. Click that and a pop up will open. Choose the files you want to upload, and then post

Reactions: Ric
Now that I have it in hand, I think it's better than most are making it out to be, but it still could have been a lot better! I can't understand why only the sides are glossed... very random imo. As for the spot-gloss, the plane on the front does actually have a hint of it (you can feel that it has a different texture when you run your finger over it), but unfortunately it's not up to the standards that we're used to seeing e.g. HMV Thor etc. It's dull and streaky, but I guess it still counts as spot-gloss...? So good luck to those who want compensation for the "error".

That last part wasn't supposed to sound sarcastic fyi.

Last edited:
The glossy edges are present on quite a few matte finished Steelbooks. It's very strange, why not just make it full gloss?

from the beginning I said only full gloss will suits this artwork ( bring the colours alive) , looks dull IMO . pity because they should go with silver embossed front of airplane and title + full gloss finish .

The glossy edges are present on quite a few matte finished Steelbooks. It's very strange, why not just make it full gloss?

Agreed, very strange.

Is it possible that the entire steel is glossed, then they go back over the front/back with another layer(s) for the artwork, which becomes more of a matte finish, which then disregards the sides? Otherwise, them just glossing the sides as a separate step seems completely pointless.

Just received mine.... the title embossing looks off centre to me creating a shadowing effect. If you look at the O and R on pic the embossing looks to be outside of the silver- sorry probably not explaining well.

Pictures above don't seem to have this issue- has anyone got this? Could someone give me their opinion.
IMG_20140329_115322_zpsyvkd1lnt.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I don't think I'm even going to open it and just contact zavvi because of embossing

Last edited:
Just received mine.... the title embossing looks off centre to me creating a shadowing effect. If you look at the O and R on pic the embossing looks to be outside of the silver- sorry probably not explaining well.

Pictures above don't seem to have this issue- has anyone got this? Could someone give me their opinion.
[/URL][/IMG]

I don't think I'm even going to open it and just contact zavvi because of embossing

Hard to comment without seeing a picture, but what you're describing happened to another member with the recent UP release from Zavvi. The best way I can describe it is the cover art looked like you're watching a 3d movie without the glasses. Looked like every picture was printed twice (hence, having a "shadow")

EDIT- for some reason, your picture hadn't come up when I originally replied, but now I can see the pic. Kind of hard to tell what you're talking about though. Maybe a side by side with another picture would help...

[/URL][/IMG]

Grail :hilarious:
i recived mine with tiny hole in the middle ( first damaged steelbook from zavvi) not bad after 100 orders :D