Premium Supporter
Nov 4, 2010
Vancouver Canada
4.00 star(s) Rating: 4.00/5 4 Votes
Title: The Creator

Tagline: Humanity evolves.

Genre: Science Fiction, Action, Thriller

Director: Gareth Edwards

Cast: John David Washington, Gemma Chan, Sturgill Simpson, Allison Janney, Marc Menchaca, Ken Watanabe, Amar Chadha-Patel

Release: 2023-09-29

Plot: Described as a post-apocalyptic thriller involving a future impacted by a war between humans and AI.

ahh, thought the movie was good, but should've been great. would be interested in a sequel though.

Just got back from seeing it, I don't know what some of you guys are talking about. I thought it was Fantastic!
I thought the actress who plays the little girl was amazing. JDW was also great. This film was visually stunning. We need more films like this. Its insane hearing they made it for only 80 Mil and it looks Better then most 200-300 Mil dollar movies.

+1

Reactions: kaw
After watching it I sat down to write a review, or rather a short opinion about it, and... nothing came to mind. Like I don't have any thoughts. I got scared a little - is that what a 'writer's block' is? But then I realized that I was so much pummeled on the head with senseless stupidity during the film, that my brain said 'that's it, I'm outta here', and went on "standby".
I have no problems with the graphics - the world is pretty realistic, everything looks very well, especially considering all those Dishney productions with a 4-5 times higher budget looking like a Saturday morning cartoon. And I like the cyberpunk atmosphere, the awesome huge US Army megatanks plowing through the jungle like in Ferngully - an extremely influential animated film, having Avatar and this one copy elements from it. :D
But I still couldn't stand the one-faced expression John David Washington - he's a bad actor and they should stop with this nepo baby shite giving him main roles.
But the main reason I had nothing afterwards in my head, is its dumb, irrational plot.

I'll probably hide this part under a spoiler:
Why some robots have 100% realistic human faces, but no covers for their metal parts, especially the main moving ones - wouldn't it get accidentally damaged by something, rain, a stone, stick, a fly, even dust overtime? What's the point of simulating a face, and not doing the whole head at least, like in Kubrick's A.I. for example? The only robots there that ran around with a partial face, were poor exiles, runaways, bums looking for spare parts at dumps, or damaged.
Why, if even such a remote controlling device, program, or entity is created, it has to be put in a child robot, and not something that anyone else could use?
How does a robot child with metal parts grow? Why does it have to grow and mature?
If you're creating a defense for your robot kind, wouldn't it be better to hide it in a fully covered human looking clone, so that those hunting them wouldn't so easily identify it?
Why are robots crying over their 'killed' ones, even having a cremation of sorts in one scene, if it's established in this world that you can copy a mind. If it can be done from a human in literal seconds by a portable device that fits in a backpack, surely you can copy a robot's personality and memories into another robot?
And many, many such questions remain if one thinks about it even a little.

The only thing that does make sense in this movie, is US government blaming a nuclear explosion on someone else, then using a trillion dollars on weapons to cover it up, build a flying space thing, and wage illegal wars in other countries.