The Lord of the Rings Trilogy (4K Blu-ray SteelBooks) [UK]

paulboland

Contributor Steels/Arrow
Contributor
Premium Supporter
Sep 10, 2012
Navan/Ireland
Release date: November 30, 2020 - January 23, 2023 (Re print) - July 8, 2024 (Re print)
Purchase links: WB Shop - Zavvi - Amazon UK - HMV
Price: £99.99
Finish: Matte w/ no 'bossing (steelbook & case)
Notes: WB Shop includes Artcards - UHD Discs only does not include Blu-ray discs

81Q8mRHYcAL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Last edited:
Guys I have a question about languages... on WB site there are a lot of languages mentioned (for both audio and subtitles), but the only audio language mentioned on Zavvi was english.... is it possible that these are two different versions and Zavvi version does not have all the languages in there? (I have successfully preordered Zavvi version, but I'm thinking about canceling because of it).

They will be the same.

Reactions: topinambur
I wonder what percentage of people who ordered these are aware that these are only UHD and do not contain regular blu-rays? I can imagine there's quite a few.

Thought long and hard about this, canceled my orders for this and the Hobbit and I'll grab the next release they bring out with all the extras and not just barebones.

Since when did the films become Certificate 15 rated?
Looks like they've got their ratings stickers mixed up all over the shop, now idea how - some listings show correct ratings others have them swapped. Correct ratings for extended trilogies are 15 for Hobbit and 12 for LOTR. If the web listing shows otherwise they're wrong, seems all retailers have received these images. The 4k slip amaray versions seem to have them listed right too.
UK_ME_4K_2700x680_WB_SHOP_Combo_3_1.jpg
uk_me_4k_1x1_lotr_wb_shop-jpg.488047

Edit: WB shop also shows correct rating on listing even with the image showing otherwise
IzuViY3.jpg

The images are bollocks anyway, as MGM wasn't involved with LOTR (Warner neither, for that part, except in Germany and East Europe).

I give it a lot of thought and purchased both sets through the best buy group buy because they'll be inspected before parceled and you can bet the packaging will be way better than HMV, Zavvi or Warner. Yep I know costed be a few quid extra but I think it's worth it to know my items will be entrusted to people who know what they are doing.

WB will not let you order both sets as the system think's your ordering more than one set, very frustrating as I wanted to order both set's with discount code.

The images are bollocks anyway, as MGM wasn't involved with LOTR (Warner neither, for that part, except in Germany and East Europe).

" MGM wasn't involved with LOTR " : sorry but I do not understand, LOTR is a Warner release , what has MGM to do with LOTR,
and doesn't the company that releases a movie determine the release/ art work of a steelbook release ?
and why would there be an exception on the art work for steelbooks in germany and East Europe?

On another point : really great that WB shop lists the full audio and sub lists, for these steelbooks I wish that all retailers who list this on their site

Damm i was wrong about the pre order. Tought it was gonna be live at midnight the end of this day.. oh wel gues im gonna wait for a premium release for this one hopefully with a double lenticular would be nice

The 4k discs wont be any different, its the 1080p discs of the lotr that will be remastered for the release next year.

These initial sets of 4k only boxs and steels are to be released in December.

Then the ultimate edition of all 6 in 4k and 1080p (with remastered 1080p lotr discs) and special features are due summer 2021.

Then lotr will be released again in Q4 2021 for the 20th anniversary with the remastered 1080p discs. Unclear whether the 1080p discs will be sold separately or as a 4k combo.

Assume there'll be a hobbit 4k and 1080p combo pack released at the same time too if the lotr gets a combo release, but that hasn't been mentioned.
I'd rather have a 4K collection with all 6 films and the bonus content. That's why I passed on these steelbooks. It's not a big deal to me if the definitive 4K collection doesn't include steelbooks as long as it looks nice. Plus, I'm planning on getting the HDzeta steelbook editions anyways.

I'd rather have a 4K collection with all 6 films and the bonus content. That's why I passed on these steelbooks. It's not a big deal to me if the definitive 4K collection doesn't include steelbooks as long as it looks nice. Plus, I'm planning on getting the HDzeta steelbook editions anyways.
Agreed, same here. I've ordered both the standard 4k versions here, which I'll watch and resell immediately to recoup most of my outlay. Then possibly buy the UCE next year, or the seperate complete sets with special features, depending on price and content etc.. I'll also be grabbing the hdzeta steels as well.

Ordered both sets for now from Amazon, missed Zavvi/HMV and no way I was gonna order through WB Store and be stuck with the order if I end up wanting to cancel closer to release. Their system for cancellations and communication isn't exactly, the best... :rolleyes:

• Haha
Reactions: djjez83
I expect this will come back available with some retailers at various stages

You will have customer cancellations closer to release date due to ordering from multiple retailers same time

I have these on pre order for now but I would have much preferred if these came now with extras rather than having to wait until next year so I'm not sure if I might end up cancelling my orders

In 2021
There will be a 4K+2D Blu-ray middle earth collection box set of all 6 films with the existing and new extras next year the price of this will likely be huge :rofl:

Then later again in 2021 you will have separate 4K and Blu-ray standard editions of the lord or the rings trilogy and Hobbit trilogy films which will also include the new and existing extras