Operations Director
Staff Member
Aug 6, 2010
USA
Release Date: February 10th, 2014
Price: £14.99
Buy Link:
Zavvi
Notes: Zavvi Exclusive Steelbook with Matt Finish and Embossed Door and Title Treatment. This product is limited to 4000 copies.

Pre-order goes live September 7 2013

Artwork:
10851837-1378457196-493258.jpg

10851837-1378457235-670947.jpg

10851837-1378457254-643414.jpg

Attachments

• thumb.jpg
    thumb.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 312
Last edited by a moderator:
Artwork could be better and it's the short version (119 min).....but it's Stanley & Jack = ORDERED :D

Not a fan of the art, and not interested in how they'll look together as I'm an alphabetical sorter. Here's hoping they make the smart move and rethink their approach to these especially significant movies.

The Shining literally overflows with iconic imagery, and has never before been released as a SteelBook. To s#!+ away that opportunity - and it is very much an opportunity, to be the first release of a movie so well-regarded - would be a crying freakin' shame.

With that release date, they've got time. They'd do well to listen to their customers here.

Will have to pass on this one as don't really like this style of artwork although embossing the door is cool. Might get FMJ though, dont have it on blu-ray yet.

Yeah I think I'll pass too. While the art might work well with a set of kubrick steels, I'm only really interested in owning the shining at the moment.
As a stand alone steelbook, it simply just doesnt look good enough.

Reactions: Andy CYP
Is the uncut US version region free? If so I might be tempted to buy both versions and swap the discs out as I have never seen the full uncut version

I never purchased this and always wanted to so the steel is appealing to me. I think I'll wait it out though. I could be wrong but I don't see it selling out soon.

Big pass for me on this one:) That is one dull looking steelbook. Probably doesn't help that I am one of the 2 people in the world who hated this movie (me and Stephen King apparently).

If Zavvi's going to stick with the artwork and are planning to release the other Kubrick films with the same art style, I think they should at least drop the titles on the front. Those Kubrick covers are essentially icon designs, and should be able to work on their own without titles. (The same goes for the 2001 steel with Hal on the front.) I mean, why simplify the art like that if you've already explained it away with the title?

I guess many collectors here would prefer titles on the front, but I just don't think it makes sense with this kind of artwork.

Last edited:
I don't think that good at all.

and to your second point, ratings boards.

No version of The Shining has ever been cut by the British Board of Film Classification.

---------- Post added at 01:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:38 PM ----------

just to put thing in perspective to how awful this turned out to be,you would NEVER see either BLUFANS,KIMCHIDVD or HDZETA make this same mistake in picking a cover.at least those guys really take the time and effort releasing titles they choose to print.the cover at best is very amateurish(poor composition and use of space).Zavvi is lucky to be having members here still pre-ordering this at the same time admitting their disappointment in this effort.

That's a bold statement given that HDZeta have released ONE steelbook, BluFans can't take much credit for the titles that have already been released elsewhere with the exact same artwork, and there are a quite a few people without much love for KimChi's choice of 'Monsters Inc.' artwork.

Reversing the covers would make this piece of crap even worse!!!

And also you have to account for disc space, if they had all versions of the film on the 1 disc then the transfer quality would be crap.

With the extra 23 minutes seamlessly branched it would occupy no more disc space than the US Blu-ray.