Operations Director
Staff Member
Aug 6, 2010
USA
Release Date: February 10th, 2014
Price: £14.99
Buy Link:
Zavvi
Notes: Zavvi Exclusive Steelbook with Matt Finish and Embossed Door and Title Treatment. This product is limited to 4000 copies.

Pre-order goes live September 7 2013

Artwork:
10851837-1378457196-493258.jpg

10851837-1378457235-670947.jpg

10851837-1378457254-643414.jpg

Attachments

• thumb.jpg
    thumb.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 310
Last edited by a moderator:
PASS...no effort on the artwork whatsoever...
from this point on,Zavvi should have 2 possible designs for any future release and have the HDN community vote on the cover.
a very easy concept to adopt.this will maximize your SALES as well Zavvi so you can make more money.wouldn't you want that? its a no brainer.

This will prob sell out without them having to put any thought or effort into it anyway because of the movie alone, they will prob fetch the extended cut out sometime next year so you will double dip.

Hrm, not really diggin' the artwork on this. All you'd have to do is slap some stickers of flowers on the door and it could be a totally different movie. :hilarious: Just better hope your kid doesn't grab it off the shelf and pop it in the ole' blu-ray player and see an axe plow through some poor dudes chest. EEK!

I'm hoping they do release 2001 in this style. I missed out on the Canadian edition and the Asian one as well. It's such a perfect fit for 2001. :thumbs:

Reactions: Flloydo
This will match other Kubrick steels so they look nice together

So the Kubrick poll wasn't a "do you want these" kind of poll, more of a "in which order do you want these" kind of poll? I see, I look forward to Full Metal Jacket :scat:

Reactions: Wreck
The back artwork needs to be changed and this Steelbook should be glossy. More importantly it should contain the Extended Cut disc.

I would like it too contain the Extended Cut but I can't see it happening. I'm pretty sure it will be the same as the existing disc.

Reactions: lgans316
just to put thing in perspective to how awful this turned out to be,you would NEVER see either BLUFANS,KIMCHIDVD or HDZETA make this same mistake in picking a cover.at least those guys really take the time and effort releasing titles they choose to print.the cover at best is very amateurish(poor composition and use of space).Zavvi is lucky to be having members here still pre-ordering this at the same time admitting their disappointment in this effort.

just to put thing in perspective to how awful this turned out to be,you would NEVER see either BLUFANS,KIMCHIDVD or HDZETA make this same mistake in picking a cover.at least those guys really take the time and effort releasing titles they choose to print.the cover at best is very amateurish(poor composition and use of space).Zavvi is lucky to be having members here still pre-ordering this at the same time admitting their disappointment in this effort.

Well... maybe you are not aware that Zesty posted this cover as suggested artwork over a year ago.

see here:
https://www.hidefninja.com/forums/showpost.php?p=365166&postcount=21

Most people take a liking to Zesty's art so perhaps they actually DID try to use a good cover.

And anyway... maybe the whole "simple and classy" steelbook cover idea has run its course, eh? I've certainly been an outspoken critic of it for a long time now.

Look at the huge disappointment with Monsters U. The "cluttered" and "busy" cover looks about a thousand times better and it would sell out rapidly if only the dorks at Disney had the wherewithal to understand this.

Reactions: lolwut
I'm hoping they do release 2001 in this style. I missed out on the Canadian edition and the Asian one as well. It's such a perfect fit for 2001. :thumbs:

I agree, in THAT case this style would be a perfect fit as it features the iconic red HAL "eye" - which is absolutely fine.

But with The Shining the iconic image was Jack crashing through the bedroom door. Yes it's been done before but, like the recent Halloween reveal, it looked right before, it still looks right now, and it should have been the cover image.

There's probably a hundred art choices to choose from for the back and inside. I'd go with the view behind danny riding on his bike on the back (or the typewriter), and for the inside I'd probably go with the elevator with the wave of blood. What about the maze, the ballroom, the outside view of the Overlook Hotel itself...there's so many choices... but no, they have to resort to some stupid cartoony looking door stuck in the middle of a bland front cover :angry: