Operations Director
Staff Member
Aug 6, 2010
USA
Release Date: February 10th, 2014
Price: £14.99
Buy Link:
Zavvi
Notes: Zavvi Exclusive Steelbook with Matt Finish and Embossed Door and Title Treatment. This product is limited to 4000 copies.

Pre-order goes live September 7 2013

Artwork:
10851837-1378457196-493258.jpg

10851837-1378457235-670947.jpg

10851837-1378457254-643414.jpg

Attachments

• thumb.jpg
    thumb.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 312
Last edited by a moderator:
I think what Phoenix was suggesting is that there be two versions of the film on one disc. So with the USA version at 144 minutes and the UK one at 119 you are looking at 263 mins (4.4 hours) of film on the single disc, which with Special Features etc. would not leave a great amount of space on the disc (if any) meaning they would compensate with a lower transfer.

Yes but seamless branching avoids this issue, that is the point of it.

Reactions: SlyFondle
I think what Phoenix was suggesting is that there be two versions of the film on one disc. So with the USA version at 144 minutes and the UK one at 119 you are looking at 263 mins (4.4 hours) of film on the single disc, which with Special Features etc. would not leave a great amount of space on the disc (if any) meaning they would compensate with a lower transfer.

I know what he was suggesting, but there is no need to have full encodes of both cuts if the disc is authored using seamless branching. The shorter cut is basically contained within the longer one, and the Blu-ray just needs to carry instructions telling the player which bits to omit.

This is exactly how the US Blu-ray of 'Leon' is authored, and the transfer is superior to UK Blu-ray which contains separate encodes of both versions of the film.

The shorter UK/EU version of the film is the Kubrick's preferred version. It isn't cut, it removes several largely pointless scenes that bog the film down in key areas.

It would be nice to have both, but personally I'd probably never bother watching the longer cut again.

I guess I've only ever seen one version of the film and people are talking about the American version being longer. Not sure what isn't in the UK version.

To repeat my earlier post:

The talk of cuts is misleading and implies censorship by the BBFC, who have never required any cuts to be made to the film.

The film was initially released in US cinemas in a 142 minute cut, but Kubrick subsequently decided that it played too long and made various trims prior to it's European release, reducing the running time to 119 minutes. This shorter cut was Kubrick's preferred version, and should be thought of as the 'Director's Cut'. It is the version that has previously been released on DVD and Blu-ray in the UK, whilst the longer 'US cut' is available on US DVD and Blu-ray (and was shown on ITV a couple of times).

The 142 minute version was released in UK cinemas last year, so could herald a UK Blu-ray release. Zavvi could keep everyone happy by including both cuts, but on past form that's unlikely

Full details of the differences from IMDB:

The full-length version runs approx. 145 minutes and is the U.S. theatrical version, available in the USA on VHS, DVD and laserdisc. All the other versions, however, run just under two hours (115), omitting about half an hour of footage. This is because Kubrick cut some scenes from his film, which he thought were unnecessary. British television network ITV screened the full US version of The Shining during the late eighties, as did More4 more recently in July 2008. The following is a list of all the scenes or parts of scenes not present in the other versions of The Shining.
The last line of dialogue (spoken by Wendy) in the kitchen scene, the subsequent dissolve, Bill Watson's arrival to the interview (and all his dialogue), Jack recounting his previous jobs and the reason for shutting the Overlook in winter.
After Danny's vision in the bathroom, the entire Doctor scene is removed (making Anne Jackson's name in the opening credits a mystery), where Danny discusses "Tony" and we discover Jack dislocated Danny's shoulder in a moment of drunken rage, and joined the wagon afterwards.
The scenes where Mr. Ullman shows Jack and Wendy around the Colorado Lounge, when they walk outside the maze and when Dick Halloran shows Wendy and Danny round the kitchens have been shortened, but not removed completely.
The scene where Jack, Wendy and the hotel managers first enter the Gold Room and are introduced to Dick Halloran, the subsequent dissolve, a line of dialogue between Halloran and Wendy about the woman's name.
The first shot of Wendy wheeling the breakfast trolley.
The second half of Wendy and Jack's breakfast conversation where Jack says how he feels he's been to the Overlook before.
A shot from behind of Jack throwing the ball against the wall, the subsequent dissolve and the line "Loser has to keep America clean, how's that?" (8 seconds in all!)
Wendy seeing the news and weather report on television in the kitchen while preparing food.
The title card "Thursday" and part of Wendy and Danny's snowfight.
Wendy and Danny watching television in the Colorado Lounge.
Some lines of dialogue between Jack and Lloyd during their first encounter.
A line of dialogue spoken by Jack after the encounter with the old woman, referring to Danny's vision of the blood.
The scene where Wendy goes over her plan to leave the Overlook verbally in their room and Danny gets possessed (?) by "Tony", sitting bolt upright in bed.
Halloran's third attempt at trying to contact them via the telephone and County Office.
The 8am title card.
Halloran's question to the stewardess on the plane.
A long shot from behind of Jack at the typewriter.
Halloran's plane touching down and phoning his friend Larry to arrange the rental of a Sno-cat.
The scene where Danny watches Roadrunner (not actually on screen) and Wendy goes to find Jack, taking a baseball bat, just before she goes to find his manuscript.
Wendy seeing skeletons in the hotel lobby.

To repeat my earlier post:

Full details of the differences from IMDB:

The full-length version runs approx. 145 minutes and is the U.S. theatrical version, available in the USA on VHS, DVD and laserdisc. All the other versions, however, run just under two hours (115), omitting about half an hour of footage. This is because Kubrick cut some scenes from his film, which he thought were unnecessary. British television network ITV screened the full US version of The Shining during the late eighties, as did More4 more recently in July 2008. The following is a list of all the scenes or parts of scenes not present in the other versions of The Shining.
The last line of dialogue (spoken by Wendy) in the kitchen scene, the subsequent dissolve, Bill Watson's arrival to the interview (and all his dialogue), Jack recounting his previous jobs and the reason for shutting the Overlook in winter.
After Danny's vision in the bathroom, the entire Doctor scene is removed (making Anne Jackson's name in the opening credits a mystery), where Danny discusses "Tony" and we discover Jack dislocated Danny's shoulder in a moment of drunken rage, and joined the wagon afterwards.
The scenes where Mr. Ullman shows Jack and Wendy around the Colorado Lounge, when they walk outside the maze and when Dick Halloran shows Wendy and Danny round the kitchens have been shortened, but not removed completely.
The scene where Jack, Wendy and the hotel managers first enter the Gold Room and are introduced to Dick Halloran, the subsequent dissolve, a line of dialogue between Halloran and Wendy about the woman's name.
The first shot of Wendy wheeling the breakfast trolley.
The second half of Wendy and Jack's breakfast conversation where Jack says how he feels he's been to the Overlook before.
A shot from behind of Jack throwing the ball against the wall, the subsequent dissolve and the line "Loser has to keep America clean, how's that?" (8 seconds in all!)
Wendy seeing the news and weather report on television in the kitchen while preparing food.
The title card "Thursday" and part of Wendy and Danny's snowfight.
Wendy and Danny watching television in the Colorado Lounge.
Some lines of dialogue between Jack and Lloyd during their first encounter.
A line of dialogue spoken by Jack after the encounter with the old woman, referring to Danny's vision of the blood.
The scene where Wendy goes over her plan to leave the Overlook verbally in their room and Danny gets possessed (?) by "Tony", sitting bolt upright in bed.
Halloran's third attempt at trying to contact them via the telephone and County Office.
The 8am title card.
Halloran's question to the stewardess on the plane.
A long shot from behind of Jack at the typewriter.
Halloran's plane touching down and phoning his friend Larry to arrange the rental of a Sno-cat.
The scene where Danny watches Roadrunner (not actually on screen) and Wendy goes to find Jack, taking a baseball bat, just before she goes to find his manuscript.
Wendy seeing skeletons in the hotel lobby.

After thinking about it, I might get this after all to have both versions of the film. Those are scenes that always felt unnecessary, except for the stuff that happens in The Overlook once they're alone. I think those scenes pull you into atmosphere.

This will be the style then.

511ZXCtw8XL._SY445_.jpg

41YGJtB62KL._SX342_.jpg

41kTRWvikoL._SX342_.jpg

41cPuXwgYxL._SX342_.jpg

41j8RGsxp1L._SX342_.jpg

41YLsKW1XPL._SX342_.jpg

As I've said earlier, I'm not a big fan of the cover art for The Shining. But when you look at the others in the series, at least it's second best of the bunch (2001 wins). The art for Lolita and Barry Lyndon is really horrendous!

Which brings me to another point... why release The Shining so it matches the other covers, if they're not even on par with The Shining's artwork?

Last edited: