Zavvi - Retailer chat [Europe]

Zavvi.jpg

**Retailer charges cards when items ship

Per update received at HDN, starting with August 4,2014 releases, Zavvi will ship in boxes again.

[email protected]

Possible contact #s:

- 08442 640702
- 01606 336169
- 08442 439088

Thanks yeslek!

Current packaging is a cardboard mailer with the steelbook usually wrapped in either a layer of bubble wrap or foam

Update 9/5/2013:

https://www.hidefninja.com/forums/showpost.php?p=753977&postcount=1732

Current packaging-thanks dv8mad:

Previous packaging:

3/20/2013 Comparison of Play's old packaging to Zavvi's new packaging-thanks Zesty!

newpackage.jpg

14/03/2013 By Wreck:
I now have confirmation that I can announce ... for all those worried about future packaging from Zavvi. My Play contact has been working with zavvi as well on this mission for better packaging. Between the 3 of us and the future comments from this community after its in place I'm sure it will be go over well.
View attachment 29368
from the pick line ......... :thumbs:
foam inside

1/19/2013 Member Nyvo tweeted Zaavi about packaging concerns. They said they may be looking into alternate packaging methods.

Zavvi shipping international list:
Zavvi UK

Box update1- 1/7/2014

Box update 2-1/17//2014-we're told they have boxes again.

Attachments

• download (1).jpg
    download (1).jpg
    3.5 KB · Views: 580
Last edited by a moderator:
@monsterzebra @StifflersDad @virkia

I wrote on the subject of Zavvi and VAT back in June 2014, in response to a question from another German member.

Rather than go through everything again, it's probably easier to simply repost it here.

Actually, VAT is included but only for UK customers, the UK being their main customer base. Clause 11 of their T & C states "All prices shown are inclusive of VAT". The reason why this applies to customers in the UK but not those in other member states of the EU is a little complicated. Generally speaking, Import VAT is only added to goods imported from outside of the EU over a certain value. You mention Eur 25 being the value for Germany. In the case of the UK it is £15. The principal difference, however, concerns the status of the Channel Islands relative to the UK. They are not part of the UK and cannot, therefore, be part of the EU. Thus, you in Germany are allowed to import goods from the Channel Islands, below the value of Eur 25, without Import VAT being imposed. However, I in the UK cannot import anything from the Channel Islands, irrespective of its value, without Import VAT being imposed! It is for this reason that Zavvi include VAT in their prices for UK customers.

This was not always the case. In fact, prior to the latter part of 2011 (I think it was November but wouldn't swear to it), I was able to import goods, below the value of £18, from the Channel Islands without the imposition of Import VAT. The status of the Channel Islands, as not being part of the UK, had created a legal loophole, whereby a number of UK companies had set up bases of operations there which enabled them to sell goods direct to UK customers, free of Import VAT, provided the value of the goods remained below the value of £18. The first was play.com (Jersey), followed by others including hmv.com (Guernsey), sendit.com (Guernsey) and dvdpopcorn.com (Jersey). Amazon.co.uk even had a Jersey based subsidiary.

However, all good things must come to an end and, due to the effects of the recession, there was intense lobbying from mainland retailers that the Channel Island based companies had an unfair trading advantage, in that they were able to undercut their prices by legal tax avoidance. As a result, the government reduced the Import VAT threshold for goods from outside of the EU to £15 and specifically excluded the Channel Islands from any such threshold. Henceforth, all imports from the Channel Islands, irrespective of their value, would be subject to the imposition of Import VAT. It was this act which ultimately led to the demise of hmv.com and the withdrawal of play.com from direct sales, which brings us back to Zavvi.

Zavvi's principal customer base is the UK so they have an arrangement with UK customs (HMRC), whereby Zavvi will collect the VAT from the customer at the point of sale and remit it to them. This is why the retail price is inclusive of VAT for UK customers. If they didn't do this, every package shipped to the UK, irrespective of its value, could be intercepted by Customs and surcharged with 20% Import VAT, not to mention a Royal Mail handling charge of £8 on each and every item! They would not be long for this world if they had to trade under those conditions.

As to why Zavvi do not remove the VAT element of the price when the item is being shipped overseas, only Zavvi can answer. I would surmise that it is for the sake of simplicity that the retail price is uniform, irrespective of where the customer resides. Amazon's sites clearly have sophisticated software which enables them to not merely remove the VAT element altogether when the item is being shipped outside of the EU but also harmonizes the amount of VAT levied when shipped to other EU countries where different rates of VAT apply. Thus, when I order from amazon.fr or amazon.de, the VAT I pay increases because their rates are lower, whereas when I order from amazon.it or amazon.es, the VAT I pay decreases because their rates are higher. This is probably beyond the capability of Zavvi's system which cannot even differentiate between an item which is genuinely 'sold out' and one which has yet to be made available for order. Also, as others have already pointed out, if ever they were to remove the VAT element on sales to overseas customers, you can rest assured that overseas shipping costs would rise to cover the loss of revenue since they currently bear no resemblance to what Zavvi actually pay.

I trust this explains the situation.

@monsterzebra @StifflersDad @virkia

I wrote on the subject of Zavvi and VAT back in June 2014, in response to a question from another German member.

Rather than go through everything again, it's probably easier to simply repost it here.

I trust this explains the situation.

Thanks for sharing this!
I never knew the exact background, but i was expecting something like this.. ;)

Reactions: augustus
Did anyone used already the new tracked shipping by zavvi? I noticed some days ago they offer now a tracked shipping for + 1,99 EUR which says it trackable and faster with receiving 2-4 days to me to Germany. The point I'm curious about is, is the packaging different then? Like when I want to order a Boxset normally it get sends in an envelope with no protection, so every paper slipcover or boxset I order from zavvi comes totally crashed. Curious to know with this upgrade if they ship in a parcel instead of a envelope.

Last edited:
Did anyone used already the new tracked shipping by zavvi? I noticed some days ago they offer now a tracked shipping for + 1,99 EUR which says it trackable and faster with receiving 2-4 days to me to Germany. The point I'm curious about is, is the packaging different then? Like when I want to order a Boxset normally it get sends in an envelope with no protection, so every paper slipcover or boxset I order from zavvi comes totally crashed. Curious to know with this upgrade if they ship in a parcel instead of a envelope.
Its the same packaging no difference and don't be surprised if you do not even get any tracking number
They use the exact same cardboard packaging for steelbooks and the same packaging bubble mailers they use for you other orders using the free post option

Its only large heavy box sets they use a box for packaging be it free postage or tracked postage

Its the same packaging no difference and don't be surprised if you do not even get any tracking number
They use the exact same cardboard packaging for steelbooks and the same packaging bubble mailers they use for you other orders using the free post option

Its only large heavy box sets they use a box for packaging be it free postage or tracked postage

Thanks buddy. That's a shame. I would love to pay 2 EUR more to receive my stuff without damage.

For example, in my excitement I ordered Arrow's Deep Red Boxset with the 10 % discount offer, but cancelled it afterwards since its useless
because I know at least all corners of the paper slip will be crashed. Thats so sad :(

Interesting to see the wide range of opinions on Tomorrowland - it's almost as if two completely different films are being commented on :)

Anyway, appears to be another to add to the list of pre-order 'Sold outs' which includes the following (with current release dates) :-

(1) BttF TRILOGY (5/10/15) EDIT: Back in stock Tue. 6 /10 / 15
(2) TOMORROWLAND (5/10/15) EDIT Back in stock Tue. 6 / 10 / 15
------------------------------------------------------
(3) BLADE 2 (19/10/15)
(4) ENEMY OF THE STATE (19/10/15)
(5) JOHN CARTER 3D (2/11/15)
(6) TERMINATOR GENISYS 3D (2/11/15)
(7) GRAND BUDAPEST HOTEL (2/11/15)
(8) AGENT CARTER : SEASON ONE (30/11/15)
(9) ANT-MAN 3D (30/11/15)
(10) INSIDE OUT (23/11/15) EDIT: Back in stock Fri. 10 / 10 / 15 "ONLY 500 REMAINING"
(11) MISSION IMPOSSIBLE : ULTIMATE COLLECTION (?)

Now to see if any, or all, come back at release date as in the past or end up on the Zavvi Outlet Store at increased prices.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Lionet
Zavvi and there poor customer service I've had a load of steel books go missing that I've ordered when I emailed you get the same generic email on the different orders but with just different dates. You contact them on social media same thing. There quite happy to take your money but actually listen to the customer, poor customer service.

Reactions: Flash
I said I was gonna contact trading standards all I got back was we await there response poor customer service they'll don't care about there customers

Zavvi and there poor customer service I've had a load of steel books go missing that I've ordered when I emailed you get the same generic email on the different orders but with just different dates. You contact them on social media same thing. There quite happy to take your money but actually listen to the customer, poor customer service.

I recently had a no show steelbook from them also. Fast and Furious 7 was dispatched but never arrived. I contacted them and they asked me to print off and fill in a Non Receipt of Goods form and sign it. It was a little annoying because you then have to scan or take a photo of the form to send back to them in their message centre.

Happy to say that they sent me a replacement copy, and was satisfied with the customer service. It's all a gamble who you get answering your messages. Sorry to hear you had a bad experience.

What's even worse about them is the totally rude and have care for there customers they'll quite happily take your money but listen or talk to you like a human being.

So I ordered Enter the Dragon for £9.99 in their steelbook clearance, I have just received the 'Sorry' can't deliver e-mail from them, and now it is £24.99 on their site, AMATEURS!!!!

Reactions: kalel
A update from zavvi and my missing orders I've had three of my steel books go missing at the same time so they put my account under security review therefore I can't place any orders so how i supposed to get replacement items if they've done this and why am being punished when I paid for the items and it's between them and the delivery services for me to receive my items.

Reactions: Flash
A update from zavvi and my missing orders I've had three of my steel books go missing at the same time so they put my account under security review therefore I can't place any orders so how i supposed to get replacement items if they've done this and why am being punished when I paid for the items and it's between them and the delivery services for me to receive my items.

I've seen online this has happened to a lot of people particularly if you get damaged steelbook/ which aren't of course your fault :(

Still had my account frozen why am I being punished for paying for items and sometimes never getting them so this is how am punished but yet who ever the deliver company is probably Royal Mail. They send the same generic emails and they repeat the same old line. They have no care for the customer, as much they do exclusive steel book best getting it else after this won't be using them again.

Sounds like this account frozen is like a ban, I've had some missing ones last year, no problems with replacement with no forms to fill but I've had more to return this year compared to last year, the quality control is off in some releases and some damaged items by clumsy staff and storage possibly, rarely due to mail delivery. I would not ask for a replacement more than once for the same title with them as well, they may get funny about that too, better off getting the refund or account credit. Their lucky they sell out any releases too with the prices and poor customer service, sounds unreasonable if their freezing accounts due to faulty/damaged steelbooks or some missing items, could be they have a set limit before they start this freezing nonsense, their not even warning customers they may do this.

I've reduced my orders with Zavvi a lot too, far too many issues for my liking, anything I can get for a better price overseas is a better option, also I prefer FAC releases over Zavvi, to be honest a lot of their releases no longer interest me, I'm slowing down my collecting also.

. . . and maybe a 'Thank you' too to Zavvi is appropriate here for the "hot deal" . . .?

Do they pay you for this?

I pre-ordered and paid €25.19 for Princess and the Frog, because I tend to pre-order Disney steelbooks, better safe than sorry. For it to show up at half price (basically) even though today is the official release date is really showing no respect to people who bother pre-ordering.

No reason to thank Zavvi on this one.

Then they'll be surprised when no one pre-orders anything, or 90% of people cancel their pre-orders. Price drops before release date (but after duly taking the pre-order money) is frustrating to this customer. I have kept a few of my pre-orders with them (as I said, mostly Disney/Marvel stuff, though I'll likely pick up the FNAC exclusives and cancel Inside Out & Ant-Man), but this ensures I won't go through with pre-orders of any of their catalogue titles anymore.

Reactions: Flloydo
Do they pay you for this?

I pre-ordered and paid €25.19 for Princess and the Frog, because I tend to pre-order Disney steelbooks, better safe than sorry. For it to show up at half price (basically) even though today is the official release date is really showing no respect to people who bother pre-ordering.

No reason to thank Zavvi on this one.

Then they'll be surprised when no one pre-orders anything, or 90% of people cancel their pre-orders. Price drops before release date (but after duly taking the pre-order money) is frustrating to this customer. I have kept a few of my pre-orders with them (as I said, mostly Disney/Marvel stuff, though I'll likely pick up the FNAC exclusives and cancel Inside Out & Ant-Man), but this ensures I won't go through with pre-orders of any of their catalogue titles anymore.

I don't know what you are smoking but my comments were NOT directed at YOU, rather to the member who revealed that he/she had secured a "hot deal" on these Disney steelbooks.
BTW I did NOT secure a "good deal" on these and paid the going prices at the time of my pre-orders !

It is frustrating when on the day of release a title goes straight into the BOGOF.

Most of us probably know about the twice yearly Disney deal, but this is the first time AFAIK that any of Zavvi's steelbooks have ended up in it (let alone gone straight in). There was really no way of guessing it either. I'm not unhappy at the original £19.99 price for PatF, but yes, I would have certainly rather have gotten something free with it. Zavvi must have known the whole time this was going to be the case, they should have actively let customers who pre-ordered it know and delayed the delivery 'til the deal started. ie...

'Dear customer,

The title you have ordered will be part of Disney's BOGOF deal. On Monday please add a second title from those available and you will receive this item free.

We value your custom and look forward to receiving your order.

Kind regards,

Zavvi Customer Care Team.'

I could order 2 now, and then send the original back for a refund I suppose. I'd rather just have Zavvi send me a £20 Disney voucher as a goodwill gesture.

I don't know what you are smoking but my comments were NOT directed at YOU, rather to the member who revealed that he/she had secured a "hot deal" on these Disney steelbooks.
BTW I did NOT secure a "good deal" on these and paid the going prices at the time of my pre-orders !

I think the general point is that this DEAL, is not really something Zavvi have done on purpose. They probably just shunted all available Disney items into the offer (whether they were steelbooks or not) and then didn't even notice that people could save a fortune. If they ever wake up and notice people are getting expensive Disney steels for £10 plus a further 10% off then they'll probably shut it down.

It's the only reason Zavvi are still tolerable, as even though their service and returns procedure is abysmal, and their pricing is all over the place. They apply those same sloppy procedures towards their offers too - which is why 90% of the time you can get decent money off a bunch of steelbook pre-orders even though their T&C's have said for years that shouldn't be allowed.

So don't thank Zavvi for accidentally making a good deal - anymore than you would thank a typhoon for blowing a bar of gold into your house. It's just random.

Personally, I did pre-order this (with 10% off) and it's kind of galling that I can get this steel for £9 when I paid £17.99 a few days ago.