Amazon Canada - SteelBook Retailer thread

riddlesNrhymes

Orion's Belt
Premium Supporter
Jan 2, 2013
Devon (UK)
First of all I apologise if my question is common knowledge/posted somewhere else. I'm just wondering if I'll get stung with customs charges if I order some steelbooks from Amazon Canada? I've ordered from quite a few foreign sites and so far have only had customs charges with amazon japan. I'd appreciate some help, thanks :)

AmazonCaLogoTrns72dpi400x90.png

Feel free to discuss shipping, customer service, availabity, etc about this retailer here.

Frequently Asked Questions:

Q) What is the link to Amazon CA?
A) https://www.amazon.ca/?tag=hidefnin0b-20

Q) I haven't mastered English yet - how can I read the site?!
A) Install Google translate on your browser:

Google Chrome HERE
Firefox HERE

Q) How do I register?
A) Click HERE >> Fill in details>> click on 'create account'>> Done!

Q) Do they ship outside of CANADA?
A) Yes, worldwide delivery, various shipping options available, for example 1 steelbook to UK:

Standard International Shipping (averages 6-8 weeks) £4.50
Expedited International Shipping Expedited International Shipping (averages 1-2 weeks) £7
Priority International Courier Priority International Courier (averages 2-4 business days) £16

*Tip* Standard shipping normally only takes a few days to arrive via Fedex

Q) What form of packing do they use?
A) Jiffy Bags for small orders, cardboard for large, with hardly - if any - bubble wrap, see below: (Thanks to Spass + Maccadinho25 for pics)

Got the two Kill Bill's today in this jiffy bag without any protection inside/between the steels.

How they arrived mint is a miracle!

killbilly.jpg

Not ordering from these again. Received today (very fast shipping) in a jiffy bag with no padding whatsoever to get overseas! There are actually SEVEN dents on the back that the light has picked up. Safe to say i sent my concerns via email just

View attachment 31742

Q) Is the retailer custom's friendly? (i.e will they mark as gift, or low value).
A) No, they list full item price. It's sometimes cheaper if ninjas have their items sent to a Canadian friend/ninja and then forwarded on to their address.

Q) Will the retailer charges upon order or upon shipment
A) You will be charged upon dispatch

Q) What payment do they accept?
A) Card / Store Card / Gift card only

Q) Customer Services any good?
A) Amazon in general have the best customer service but some of the worst packaging in North America.

Cancellations: Your account >> > Sign In > My Orders - follow on screen instructions

Replacements: Your account >> > Sign In > My Orders - Return or replace Items >> follow on screen instructions. They can replace an item for a maximum of two times, they refund for the third time.

Keep in mind that if the item is out of stock, discontinued, and is not available for exchange, your order will be cancelled and will be refunded.

Refunds: They are normally processed within a few days.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not ordering from these again. Received today (very fast shipping) in a jiffy bag with no padding whatsoever to get overseas! There are actually SEVEN dents on the back that the light has picked up. Safe to say i sent my concerns via email just

IMG_20130419_135218.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
It still seems impossible to get a flawless order from Canada. One steel (of two) has a sharp dent on the front. Especially this time with the better packaging it feels silly to report a damage again and ask for a replacement. :rolleyes:

All international orders are shipped with DHL right?
Maybe it has something to do with the courier.

When Zavvi use to send steels in the cardboard mailer, sent with royal mail and delivered with CanadaPost they arrived dent-free.
I heard that private couriers are usually rougher on parcels and packages.

In my case I am pretty sure the steel was already damaged before transport. As showed on the last page the steels were well packed this time. Everything looked fine from the outside.

@ninth
Being Canadian, what's your experience with them? Never received damaged steels?

Last edited:
I've never got any damaged steels from Amazon. Worst I have gotten is American History X that just came in today, there are a couple tears in the shrink wrap but it is otherwise mint.

Seriously? EEK!

However just reading about all those damaged steels and replacements drive me nuts. I wonder when they will either change their packaging or stop sending steels overseas. This must be a huge losing bargain for them. What a shame.

In my case I am pretty sure the steel was already damaged before transport. As showed on the last page the steels were well packed this time. Everything looked fine from the outside.

@ninth
Being Canadian, what's your experience with them? Never received damaged steels?

Oh, I get damaged steels from them all the time. Usually it's the older titles that they don't have much inventory left.

I'm pretty sure they were damaged before shipment though. I'm guessing their warehouse isn't very careful, have you guys ever seen those youtube videos of their warehouse?

The packaging is sub-par for sure. History X came in today with no bubble wrap, was shipped in one of those folded cardboard boxes that the steel barely fits in. But it was mint. I wouldn't want to have anything sent overseas from them though, no way those boxes would protect the steel enough for a long trip.

Ordered four of them in the recent sale, all came with a dent on the front.

i have send these pictures to Amazon Canada package center (this secure package of steelbooks is used by Amazon UK,France,Germany & Italy)
maybe they can use this also in the future

and made a complaint about my 4 received steelbooks last week in poor condition packaging...

Last edited:
As usual, CS were quick to sort it out, but why they just chucked them in a box with little padding, then bounced them across the pond, I'll never know.

Got the two Kill Bill's today in this jiffy bag without any protection inside/between the steels.

How they arrived mint is a miracle!

killbilly.jpg

orderd a week ago ...came into day.....4 steels one was dented paint chipping and almost banana shaped the bottom due to dent in center of bottom of steel

one steel was shipped flawless ...the 2 kill bills 1 and 2 came with a small dent each but im no ocd with this dosnt look bad so im keeping them and sending Blade back. Also im going to ask them to add padding

orderd a week ago ...came into day.....4 steels one was dented paint chipping and almost banana shaped the bottom due to dent in center of bottom of steel

one steel was shipped flawless ...the 2 kill bills 1 and 2 came with a small dent each but im no ocd with this dosnt look bad so im keeping them and sending Blade back. Also im going to ask them to add padding

Not being rude but you are absolutely wasting your time. They will apologise and send out replacements (once) no problem but despite saying they will pass your comments and suggestions on to the shipping department about packing , nothing ever changes.

I received Watchmen and Sucker Punch from them today (together in one jiffy bag) Watchmen is dented to hell and even has a spine slash to boot.

I have written to them 6 times alone this year already about their inadequate packing and showing them photos of the European Amazon Stores packing for steelbooks but they don't seem to care.

You would think someone higher up the chain would begin to notice the amount of returns and replacements they have to send out but apparently not.

Pity we don't have an email of a more senior supervisor instead of just customer services to draw their attention to the problem.

Hey guys. I ordered a steelbook which has a slight dent. I tried returning the item but since I live in Germany the returning formula returned that I had to pay 15 € for delivering.

Does this really work that way? Do I have to pay 15 € to return a damaged item just to get about 18 € refunded?

Hey guys. I ordered a steelbook which has a slight dent. I tried returning the item but since I live in Germany the returning formula returned that I had to pay 15 € for delivering.

Does this really work that way? Do I have to pay 15 € to return a damaged item just to get about 18 € refunded?

Best if you emai them. They normally send you a replacement for free or give you a full refund without having to return.

Reactions: zebra12