Le Grand Bleu (Blu-ray SteelBook) (KimchiDVD Exclusive #2) [Korea]
Release date: {param} October 30th, 2013
Price: $44.99
Purchase links:
Lenticular Version (Sold-out)
Quarter Slip Version (Sold-out)

Specs:
Size: Blu-Ray Steelbook (G2)
Discs: 2 (Theater Cut on disc #1, Extended Cut on disc #2)
Region Free: Yes
Audio: English DTS-HD Master Audio 2.0, French DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1
Subtitles: English, French, Korean

Limited edition features:
Limited to 2000
Available outside KimchiDVD: No
Numbered: Yes (numbers to be given randomly)
Exclusive Sticker: Yes
Exclusive contents: Artcard with dolphin holder for the ALL copies.
Extras items: Photo Cards or Booklet (TBC)
Slipcover: Quarter Slip to Match the Artwork of the Steelbook/Lenticular Slipcover (2 versions of the release will be offer
Special Treatment: Debossed Title and Hyper-Gloss Finish on 90% artwork confirmed
Per Choi: Only debossed title, No border

List of Kimchidvd Exclusive SteelBook Editions

* Lenticular Edition (1500 limited)
View attachment 40435

* Quarter Slip Edition (500 limited)
View attachment 40436

Final Artwork:
gr.jpg

Old infos:
Oct. 16 Update:
(Big thanks to Choi!!!)
Kimchi just confirmed that last pre-order will start at 21st Oct. 20:00 PM (Korea Time)
Click here for International hours

- 1/4 and lenticular will be available too
- 1/4 slip is less than 50 copies, please be hurry to grasp one if you like to add in your collection

August 9 Update:
Important Announcement here.

Due to Thanks giving day(biggest holiday in Asia), some color adjustment on artwork (more bright tons and saturation etc) and remove title on the back (not front) raised from feedback of HDN ninja's opinion.

Last friday scanavo told Kimchidvd to delay the final shipment of product.
Estimated release date has to be changed as Middle of October or End of October.

due to cancellation of LGB order in Kimchi, Kimchi will re-open the pre-order for rest of quantity around 16th September or later day (it will be announced soon)

Please kindly understand the delay for adjusting steelbook looks even better and manufacturing issue in scanavo.

I will share the steelbook sample picture as soon as it arrive in Kimchi, might be around final week of September (Steelbook & lenticular)

Mod, Please update release date in OP

Thanks

June 19th Update:

Updated artwork and info from Kimchi:
Front/back:
gr.jpg

Inside:
gr2.jpg

Infos:
Coating: Hyper-gloss
Embossed/Debossed: Debossed Title (Le Grand Bleu)
Special treatment: Special request for ocean-blue color

July 1st update:
The steelbook will be offered in TWO versions:

1) 1500 units with a lenticular slipcover;
2) 500 units with a quarter slipcover;

All 2000 copies will be offered with the numbered card.

All copies will be individually numbered: 1-1500 for the lenticular version, 1-500 for the quarter slip version.

First shots of the releases will be presented in the next few days.

Pre-order will go live July 8th 9:00 AM Korea time (Monday July 7th 12:00AM GMT, 8:00PM EST, 5:00PM PST).

Pre-Order Price (for the first 3 days): $41.99 (regular price is $44.99).

Pre-Order Quantity: 250 copies for the quarter slip version, 500 copies for the lenticular slipcover version.
July 3rd update:

Slipcover pictures!

Quarter slipcover front and back:
attachment.php

attachment.php

Lenticular slipcover front and back:
attachment.php

1st pre-order info: (ended)
Special Pre-Order Session:
July 8th 9:00 AM Korea time (Sunday July 7th 12:00AM GMT, 8:00PM EST, 5:00PM PST)
Promotional pre-order price: $41.99

2nd pre-order info: (ended)
Major update from Choi 7/13/2013: [Mod. Edit: PLEASE READ]

Today I officially announced the pre-order date & time for 2nd round
as I said before, Kimchi will fix pre-order date & time based on UK time zone.:scat:

London (United Kingdom - England) Tuesday, 16 July 2013, 13:00:00 BST UTC+1 hour
Seoul (South Korea) Tuesday, 16 July 2013, 21:00:00 KST UTC+9 hours
Vancouver (Canada - British Columbia) Tuesday, 16 July 2013, 05:00:00 PDT UTC-7 hours
New York (U.S.A. - New York) Tuesday, 16 July 2013, 08:00:00 EDT UTC-4 hours
Paris (France) Tuesday, 16 July 2013, 14:00:00 CEST UTC+2 hours
Corresponding UTC (GMT) Tuesday, 16 July 2013, 12:00:00

-1x copy per slipcover (2x copies for slipcover was sold out too fast like 7 min, That's why kimchi put more restriction for quarter slip release)
-5x copies per lenticular

here is technical problem solved so far

after you pay via paypal, you will automatically return to main page of kimchidvd and you can go to order page to check if your order is completed.

(previous kimchi, does not provide automatic payment completed by paypal, only kimchi handle one by one to complete order by manually matched with paypal transaction. it's kind of big burden and many problem happened)

and another announcement for shipping

Small packet is removed, K-packet applied for all of item sold in kimchidvd
K-packet is slightly expensive than small packet but there is lots of benefits

- Printed slip with tracking number
- End-to-End tracking with delivery confirmation (No lost shipment)
- Reasonable cost than EMS
- generally takes 5-15 days (EMS: 5-10 days, Small packet 15 -35 days)

but some member are curious why kimchidvd changed shipping method

From T2 kimchi release, Kimchi handled more than 1,000 box to ship out to post office KR, this is a big volume of post office KR to handle only for one store.

so post office does not allow kimchi to accept small packet any more :(
and asked kimchi to change K-packet rather than small packet due to too many package in one or two day.

after changed of k-packet, pack & shipping process is much more faster than small packet and very reliable shipping method in terms of tracking.

even now, some of member did not received T2 kimchi after shipping process done at 26th June because no tracking available for small packet.

1 or 2 steelbook for shipping charge between small packet & k-packet is only difference around 2$

please kindly understand kr post office policy for massive volume of shipment like over 1,000 boxes and more powerful tracking for lost shipment protection.

Thanks

Update #2 7/10/2013 from Choi:

1x limit per order for 1/4
5x limit per order for lenticular

Last first batch was

2x limit per order for 1/4
5x limit per order for lenticular

Attachments

• thumb.jpg
    thumb.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 510
Last edited by a moderator:
sorry to say but if that is the case then it serves them right for choosing this movie instead of something more commercial !

Star Trek white zavvi was a reprint of the play.com grail and this seemed to sell out pretty quickly. This probably won't shift as quick as its an older title but I reckon it will shift, even if it's just to the scalpers who think they will get similar prices to the *** version...

Star Trek white zavvi was a reprint of the play.com grail and this seemed to sell out pretty quickly. This probably won't shift as quick as its an older title but I reckon it will shift, even if it's just to the scalpers who think they will get similar prices to the *** version...

Yeah the difference is that Star Trek was mainstream movie that most people loved, not to mention it was £14.99 with free shipping :thumbs:

Agree about the scalpers though :D

I own the original *** grail, fortunately i purchased this from pre order from amazon.jp as i love the movie and owned numerous versions over the years. IMHO i for one am not over the moon with this release as this was one of the few real rare grails, just have accept this is the way collecting Steels has gone and nothing is safe from a re-release these days, so just have to take it on the chin. At least it only cost me £40 originally.

Reactions: CaptainCoffee
I own the original *** grail, fortunately i purchased this from pre order from amazon.jp as i love the movie and owned numerous versions over the years. IMHO i for one am not over the moon with this release as this was one of the few real rare grails, just have accept this is the way collecting Steels has gone and nothing is safe from a re-release these days, so just have to take it on the chin. At least it only cost me £40 originally.

You are one lucky dude! You got a gem there. An article of true rarity!

Since you received it directly fr Amazon Jpn, could you tell me whether it arrived shrinkwrapped.

Sorry for being off topic but this is an issue that serious collectors want to know.

I am sure Kimchi will do a beautiful job on this...But I am disappointed its not a better Know film, but as I have No 1 on order I suppose I have to get this as well...:hilarious:
Being a Luc besson fan I would have preferred Distrect 13 or Leon for example over this..;)

But this will have to do I guess!!! :p

Said I would have a shelf load of Kimchi Exclusives so can't stop now...

Last edited:
Just something I have seen over the yrs. DVDs were re released all the time. Same thing happens with blu rays and not just in one region, sometimes across many countries. This is how studios and vendors breathe new life in this jungle of many releases. Steelbooks are not excluded from this. I think this will keep happening. I for one am not really against any re release / reprint. It is the nature of the industry. We should all accept this.

There are also many HARDCORE collectors that dont really care to collect a grail or pay enormous sums to have a steel in their collection. I for one will welcome this to my collection as will many. Steelbook collecting is not just about grails. They are a small percentage of steelbooks overall.

As is the case, many object now but will be buying this anyway. Congrats Kimchi for making this exclusive No. 2 :scat:

You are one lucky dude! You got a gem there. An article of true rarity!

Since you received it directly fr Amazon Jpn, could you tell me whether it arrived shrinkwrapped.

Sorry for being off topic but this is an issue that serious collectors want to know.

I have to say this is one of my all time favourite Steelbooks, my copy arrived in a very high quality poly sleeve so never sealed. I have added some pictures of my copy, sorry for the poor picture quality. :thumbs:

Attachments

• 001 (2).jpg
    001 (2).jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 106
  • 002 (3).jpg
    002 (3).jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 100
  • 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    113 KB · Views: 99
  • 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 93
Last edited:
Well, for some ungodly reason I missed the Japanese version just because. Never ordered it, at the regular Japanese Steel price. Considered getting one but the prices were ridiculous, so I skipped it, as I've never seen the movie. I am on the fence about getting this at all, I'll wait until see the whole package, as they say. Had I forked over a couple $100 I'd be livid. But it seems the retailers are looking wider and wider with multiple releases of the same title. For collectors of unique and rare items, that obviously is not optimal, although the 'original', remains the 'original'. I personally wish they had chosen different art, or title all together, but alas....

Just something I have seen over the yrs. DVDs were re released all the time. Same thing happens with blu rays and not just in one region, sometimes across many countries. This is how studios and vendors breathe new life in this jungle of many releases. Steelbooks are not excluded from this. I think this will keep happening. I for one am not really against any re release / reprint. It is the nature of the industry. We should all accept this.

There are also many HARDCORE collectors that dont really care to collect a grail or pay enormous sums to have a steel in their collection. I for one will welcome this to my collection as will many. Steelbook collecting is not just about grails. They are a small percentage of steelbooks overall.

As is the case, many object now but will be buying this anyway. Congrats Kimchi for making this exclusive No. 2 :scat:

I agree. To suggest that only guys who collect sealed, stickered and expensive are 'true hardcore collectors' is a little bit insulting to those who have spent many years and many thousands of pounds building their collections.

As for this release, well it certainly wouldn't be my first pick, I probably wouldn't even look twice if the only the film was considered. The truth is that this is probably going to look amazing and despite what a lot of collectors say, there is absolutely nothing wrong with buying a Steelbook just for the artwork.

I just hope that KimchiDVD aren't going to run through the grails, we need new titles of at least some titles in need of an upgrade (Gladiator and Terminator 3 are good examples).

Last edited:
I'm surprised that we're still worried about re releases dropping the value of the original. I thought we're alot more knowledgeable than that. Look at all the ebay auctions to see if its true. Re releasing this is not the problem. The problem is that the original Jp version never came factory sealed. Time and time again, it has been proven that the original will retain its value if there are features such as stickers and slips to distinguish it from the reprint. Therein lies the problem for LGB JP, it has no distinguishing features. I don't know what will happen, but I know if I had this title in my collection, I'd be very worried.

We in this forum are a bit more knowledgeable about steels. We know the original never came factory sealed. The general public do not know this fact. Therefore, they will assume that the opened Jp version is "used", while this new version is "brand new factory sealed". This is the only title I recall that the reprint is clearly better than the original. Lets get the tale of the tape.

Original Jp version:
- A pamphlet

Korean re release:
- Cool slip
- Desirable stickers
- Embossed
- Debossed
- Factory sealed
- Likely bonus inserts (film cells, booklets, postcards etc)

You tell me which one is better? For those reasons. I'd be extremely worried if I had this title. You people that have this, I'd speak up now, and hopefully, the love affair with Kimchi (look at the T2 thread) will still hold. You know, that they listen to their collectors? All these re releases are signs that this hobby is maturing, Don't worry about the reprints. It didn't kill off comics, it won't kill this hobby off either.

Reactions: Aprilarrow