Lone Survivor (4K Blu-ray SteelBook) (Astro Creations Exclusive 001) [UK]

Miffed

Ginger Ninja
Premium Supporter
Jun 5, 2013
Guildford, England
Release date: April 2024
Purchase links: Slim Slip Edition - XL Slip Edition (Pre-order on November 24, at 8 PM - GMT)
Price: £24.99 (Slim Slip Edition) - £44.99 (XL Slip Edition)
Notes: WEA SteelBook, 3K Print Run - Numbered Slim Slip Edition limited to 1200 - XL Slip Edition limited to 1800

380739115_878609903792567_4542752893804772421_n.jpg 384557611_349943481049141_6897853089237001952_n.jpgFB_IMG_1700481021178.jpg
384573667_990990995325618_3992189068536960081_n.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
That would be my initial concern, how do you trust the source to start with.
Astro Creations is also a bit of a laughable name. So without reading that people who know who this is I’d think it’s a proper shifty bootleg release. So I assume retailers like zavvi etc will be selling it so it will be legit.
But then what’s a name? What the f**k does Manta Lab mean? Sounds just as silly :LOL:

So we supposed to know who this Dan is or are people just trying to brag that they know someone from IG or Twitter because they liked a few photos and he replied to the odd comment and think they are in the know of everything? Lol
I've updated the OP. Go take a look if you're interested bud.

I wouldn't expect everyone to know who he is, but many UK collectors do, mainly around fb groups etc.. thus far. His name is Daniel Astro (hence the company name), and he is a top bloke imo. Known him for a few years myself, and no not just via the wonders of the world wide web lol

yeh its definately cool, agree with the other poster though, 3000 units could be hard to achieve.
Everythingblu never went anywhere near those numbers, was 500-800 pretty much.
3,000 is a big number for sure. It's WEA though, that he had to commission himself. So that comes with the caveat of the minimum Scanavo order that was able to be placed. ETB's 3 WEAs had much larger runs, the 500-800 range were all WWA.

I wouldn't expect everyone to know who he is, but many UK collectors do, mainly around fb groups etc.. thus far. His name is Daniel Astro (hence the company name), and he is a top bloke imo. Known him for a few years myself, and no not just via the wonders of the world wide web lol

Friend Poo GIF

:naughty:

3,000 is a big number for sure. It's WEA though, that he had to commission himself. So that comes with the caveat of the minimum Scanavo order that was able to be placed. ETB's 3 WEAs had much larger runs, the 500-800 range were all WWA.
o right so WWA are lenient? WEA's require a min order?

Fair play to this Dan he's living the dream and he's produced what appears to be a nice looking edition with what collectors want (glossy steel, bossing, soft touch slip etc)

Odd film choice (weird how it was one of Nova's very first releases as well, guess there's a reason for this) but I'm not gonna bash it for that

Hopefully it does well for him and he can build his brand

o right so WWA are lenient? WEA's require a min order?
WWA is commissioned by the studio, they can print whatever they want tbh. ETB just bought X copies off them for their releases. To have an actual WEA printed yourself you usually need to make huge orders, which is most of the reason why ETB never did it again after the cornetto trilogy.

WWA is commissioned by the studio, they can print whatever they want tbh. ETB just bought X copies off them for their releases. To have an actual WEA printed yourself you usually need to make huge orders, which is most of the reason why ETB never did it again after the cornetto trilogy.
ahh, thanks for the info.

Reactions: samdavies

I can’t even read the Facebook post, won’t allow me to see more
Surely Daniel Astro isn’t a real name? :LOL:

Worries me that if the choices are that poor and this is what stuck out and he’s got to shift 3000 copies of this then it might not work. I dunno. I know a few people who love this film and that’s it. Its a strange first choice imo. Only positive I can think of is it’s not been done to death.

I’ve seen some of his other designs like Midsommar and Mario which look much better than this but then they are official artworks too. But most likely a vinyl wrap custom steel which I stay well away from. Just find Lone survivor very risky when the artwork isn’t great. But I could be wrong and it could sell well

I keep wishing the U.K. had a proper premium retailer but every time one comes along it’s just not it and does nothing for me. EBs first releases to wow me was fifth element and Leon. That’s not very good at all

Worries me that if the choices are that poor and this is what stuck out and he’s got to shift 3000 copies of this then it might not work. I dunno. I know a few people who love this film and that’s it. Its a strange first choice imo. Only positive I can think of is it’s not been done to death.

I’ve seen some of his other designs like Midsommar and Mario which look much better than this but then they are official artworks too. But most likely a vinyl wrap custom steel which I stay well away from. Just find Lone survivor very risky when the artwork isn’t great. But I could be wrong and it could sell well

I keep wishing the U.K. had a proper premium retailer but every time one comes along it’s just not it and does nothing for me. EBs first releases to wow me was fifth element and Leon. That’s not very good at all
He may need to make it public or something then, as it works okay for me. Page is here. There's a custom group too, but you need to join etc.., the post is the same anyway.

It might not work, and it's a big risk for sure. I hope it does though, and as a first bash title it could've been much worse. Success opens doors, and he's already spoken with other studios, so only time will tell where it goes.

Not being done to death was one of his main points for doing it, and there being a 4K. There were perhaps 2 others from memory that I thought could've been feasible/more popular, but they didn't tick both boxes.

Not that it's related to this, as it's a scanavo order, but his customs aren't vinyl wrapped. They're direct print to steel. Easily the best customs I've seen (I own quite a few), and he's spent a fair whack of time and money on the kit and development to make them.

Hopefully it takes him places and turns into a proper UK premium business, because I agree we bloody need one.

He may need to make it public or something then, as it works okay for me. Page is here. There's a custom group too, but you need to join etc.., the post is the same anyway.

It might not work, and it's a big risk for sure. I hope it does though, and as a first bash title it could've been much worse. Success opens doors, and he's already spoken with other studios, so only time will tell where it goes.

Not being done to death was one of his main points for doing it, and there being a 4K. There were perhaps 2 others from memory that I thought could've been feasible/more popular, but they didn't tick both boxes.

Not that it's related to this, as it's a scanavo order, but his customs aren't vinyl wrapped. They're direct print to steel. Easily the best customs I've seen (I own quite a few), and he's spent a fair whack of time and money on the kit and development to make them.
I’ve never seen a custom steel where the art is on the steel and not on a vinyl wrap. So you’re telling me his Midsommar on his store, that artwork is on steel? And not that awful vinyl stuff they all use
Hopefully it takes him places and turns into a proper UK premium business, because I agree we bloody need one.

I have no idea about the economics of the business but I am sure he is going into it with eyes open. Maybe he doesn’t expect to sell out his first release but if that is the minimum run, so be it, and I am sure he can recoup his costs without selling them all.

Anyway, you have to start somewhere and fully fledged premium businesses with access to the bigger titles don’t just appear fully formed and if he can get a core following with a high quality initial release then he can build on that. The more I think about it the more I am crossing my fingers for him and from my perspective I would rather support him in the hope he can develop into a “proper” UK premium company than fund more and more commoditised superhero releases from the existing premium sellers.

I’ve never seen a custom steel where the art is on the steel and not on a vinyl wrap. So you’re telling me his Midsommar on his store, that artwork is on steel? And not that awful vinyl stuff they all use
These were the first I'd seen as well. Yes, that's exactly what I'm telling you. They're official scanavo steel shells, white base coat, designs printed on top. Very thick print finish, you'd call it matte, but nothing like a matte you've held before. It's more of like a textured finish that catches the light, hard to explain unless you have it in hand. I won't say They're scanavo pro quality (how could they be), but you won't find a better custom.

Thanks for the links and info etc, having looked at his site, seems he has been going a while selling empty case steelbooks i think?
Did he need and get approval/license for those as well?

Thanks for the links and info etc, having looked at his site, seems he has been going a while selling empty case steelbooks i think?
Did he need and get approval/license for those as well?
That's his current custom site, which has been going a while. Custom steels, either by order or by runs of select titles he does. No discs. I'm not going in to the legalities of those, it's not my business to comment on. Any art he's used though are either studio distributed art, or art than he's had express consent from the artist to use.

The retail site and business will be completely separate. All exclusively licensed, with discs.

That's his current custom site, which has been going a while. Custom steels, either by order or by runs of select titles he does. No discs. I'm not going in to the legalities of those, it's not my business to comment on. Any art he's used though are either studio distributed art, or art than he's had express consent from the artist to use.

The retail site and business will be completely separate. All exclusively licensed, with discs.
Yeh fair enough, wonder if he would get any comeback on that, really interesting and nice designs though, and many a film that will not see a official steelbook ever i imagine.
£39 for an empty steelbook case hard to say if its a good price personally, i guess the equipment and time to do such things is expensive and time consuming.

Are you saying that the site for the official releases will be its own website, not on his current custom one?

Last edited:
The more I think about it the more I am crossing my fingers for him and from my perspective I would rather support him in the hope he can develop into a “proper” UK premium company than fund more and more commoditised superhero releases from the existing premium sellers.
Yeah, I think if he manages to continue with more titles, then later collectors will buy out the remaining copies of this as the first release, completists and such.
Definitely would rather buy any mid-level action movie, a pretty good one at that, than any damn Superman.

Reactions: samdavies
Yeh fair enough, wonder if he would get any comeback on that, really interesting and nice designs though, and many a film that will not see a official steelbook ever i imagine.
£39 for an empty steelbook case hard to say if its a good price personally, i guess the equipment and time to do such things i sexpensive and time consuming.

Are you saying that the site for the official releases will be its own website, not on his current custom one?
I don't know on that, have to see. I hope not anyway. On the face of it, it does sound steep..ish, but he does a x3 bundle for £99 too. Compared to equivalents, rare crap finish wwa steels people pay £££ for, it's not so bad. Particularly if it's stuff, that as you say, would probably never get a steel.

Yes, brand new site for the retail release. It's to be a completely seperate business venture. It'll be sold there directly too.

Reactions: Roofr4sh