• Full Slip B

• Quarter Slip

• Dual Pack

• Triple Pack

Results are only viewable after voting.
Mar 21, 2013
South Korea
Release date: November 7, 2016
Purchase links: Type A - Type B - Quarter Slip - Dual Pack - Triple Pack - (Pre-order on September 29, 2016)
Price: Type A: $46.89 - Type B: $46.89 - 1/4 Slip: $45.69

Type A: 2,000 copies - Type B: 2,500 copies - 1/4 Slip: 1,000 copies

13938104_929743153836834_5964674825909768059_o.jpgtype a.jpgType B.jpgQuarter slip.jpg
image.png

- The steelbook illustration is by Krzysztof Domaradzki.
- The artwork for the slipbox was used previously for the Oldboy vinyl LP. It was co-ordinated by Nicolas Winding Refn, the director of Drive, and illustrated by Laurent Durieux. The director of Oldboy Park Chan-wook wanted one of our editions to feature this artwork so we reached out to Milan Records and illustrator Laurent Durieux. You'll be able to see more of the artwork since parts of the top and bottom were cropped out for the vinyl LP.

Old mock up
tumblr_odfq0maYYu1t1dcuoo1_1280.png

Last edited by a moderator:
You can say whatever you want but this release has been pure hype from day one. Nothing is standing out.
Aren't you supposed to like hype?
You talk about low print runs and resale value more than anythingelse.

I would understand if someone said PA was overrated but hype doesn't seem like the case.

• Thanks
Reactions: larson1977
Aren't you supposed to like hype?
You talk about low print runs and resale value more than anythingelse.

I would understand if someone said PA was overrated but hype doesn't seem like the case.

Not anymore as a long term collector owning 1000+ Steels. No more hype and hysteria as Steelbooks release announcement feels like a daily chore these days.

There are loads of other members who had commented on similar lines about the hype surrounding this release. Feel free to quote them as well. Oh I am aware people like to gang up on me but I don't care. :naughty:

Last edited:
Classic film that really deserved a lot more than what PA had to offer, got many versions of this amazing film including all PA's individual editions + the 1/4 slip ;), I would have gotten the boxset too but it's a massive let down tbh, yes PA hyped this release for more than a year and everyone who is either a fan of the film or PA including myself (on both points) couldn't wait for it to get released... there is really no comparison between this and the Korean DVD Ultimate LE Copper box set, that oozes quality all around, from the unique and outstanding copper presentation box to all it's contents and digibook inside, I wish PA spent as much effort and time on the set itself as they did on its contents, I mean they had a looooong time to come up with one of a kind set yet it feels rushed in every way.... even the steelbook inside is plain, no slip whatsoever which is a shocker coming from a company well known for it's unique artistic flair shown in all their quality slips.

Anyhow congratulations to those who bought one I'm content with the 1/4 which is my fav :thumbs:

Reactions: lgans316
Not anymore as a long term collector owning 1000+ Steels. No more hype and hysteria as Steelbooks release announcement feels like a daily chore these days.

There are loads of other members who had commented on similar lines about the hype surrounding this release. Feel free to quote them as well. Oh I am aware people like to gang up on me but I don't care. :naughty:

For me the hype for this or any other title is of little moment.

What does trouble me is how the nature of collecting steelbooks has changed markedly in the last 18 months or so:
Far too many releases, premium and otherwise.
Far too often for films that aren't worth a light.
Then there are the multiple releases from all the premium sellers. I often wonder if producers of bananas began selling them sprayed in different colours the same buyers would see the merits of buying one in every colour . . . . .
And the myths that have grown up around HDz,Plain, Manta ec. Going into bloody raptures about a bit of cardboard and plastic as though it was cutting edge technology is not only ludicrous but vaguely pathetic.
By all means drool and wax lyrical over a Ferrari Colombo V12, or a Vincent Rapide, or the myriad mechanical and technical wonders, handbuilt and crafted with love and care; but a steelbook in a bit of card just doesn't deserve that level of overt attention/love

Then there are the re-releases, over and over the sam titles . . . .please arggghhhh

Please no fanboy comments. It is my opinion. Disgree if you like; it's your perogative.But please don't tell me I'm wrong

Classic film that really deserved a lot more than what PA had to offer, got many versions of this amazing film including all PA's individual editions + the 1/4 slip ;), I would have gotten the boxset too but it's a massive let down tbh, yes PA hyped this release for more than a year and everyone who is either a fan of the film or PA including myself (on both points) couldn't wait for it to get released... there is really no comparison between this and the Korean DVD Ultimate LE Copper box set, that oozes quality all around, from the unique and outstanding copper presentation box to all it's contents and digibook inside, I wish PA spent as much effort and time on the set itself as they did on its contents, I mean they had a looooong time to come up with one of a kind set yet it feels rushed in every way.... even the steelbook inside is plain, no slip whatsoever which is a shocker coming from a company well known for it's unique artistic flair shown in all their quality slips.

Anyhow congratulations to those who bought one I'm content with the 1/4 which is my fav :thumbs:

In my opinion
- PA didn't hype this release. The fans did. PA always had to apologize for the delays and rare informations.
- it's not PA's faults that they were not allowed to sell the boxset to international customers, but PA is getting the hate.

What does trouble me is how the nature of collecting steelbooks has changed markedly in the last 18 months or so:
Then there are the multiple releases from all the premium sellers. I often wonder if producers of bananas began selling them sprayed in different colours the same buyers would see the merits of buying one in every colour . . . . .
And the myths that have grown up around HDz,Plain, Manta ec. Going into bloody raptures about a bit of cardboard and plastic as though it was cutting edge technology is not only ludicrous but vaguely pathetic.
By all means drool and wax lyrical over a Ferrari Colombo V12, or a Vincent Rapide, or the myriad mechanical and technical wonders, handbuilt and crafted with love and care; but a steelbook in a bit of card just doesn't deserve that level of overt attention/love

Then there are the re-releases, over and over the sam titles . . . .please arggghhhh

Please no fanboy comments. It is my opinion. Disgree if you like; it's your perogative.But please don't tell me I'm wrong

In my opinion PA is not part of this negative trend. 5 movies (Boy and the Beast, Oldboy, A Prophet, Right Now, Wrong Then, Terminator) in the last 8 months or so with only 2 steelbooks.Compare that to FilmArena, KimchiDVD or whatever.
So, it's clearly the wrong thread to talk about hype, myths and changing nature of collecting.

I mean Pure Hype for this release. I do have some of their releases and have shown full appreciation when they got it right.

Off-late they have gone silent which is good as at least they are trying to be the opposite of FA. :rofl:

Well, not fully silent. They announced two new releases yesterday, Southpaw & Rudderless, on top of the Carol release which is up for preorder in 6 days. None of these are steelbooks & probably won't sell out as fast as some of their releases have but at least they're still trucking on.

I'd be of the opinion that the amaray release for this was the nicest of the lot. While I do have fullslip B (which I think is a nice package but not as good as previous releases), the amaray release was the best of them.

In my opinion PA is not part of this negative trend. 5 movies (Boy and the Beast, Oldboy, A Prophet, Right Now, Wrong Then, Terminator) in the last 8 months or so with only 2 steelbooks.Compare that to FilmArena, KimchiDVD or whatever.
So, it's clearly the wrong thread to talk about hype, myths and changing nature of collecting.

Oh, clearly Plain Archive are exempt from most of the self-inflicted problems that beset the market at the moment, only being guilty of over-egging the pudding.

But please understand that I was merely replying to a comment made earlier.

As for Oldboy. I have to admit to being disappointed with the final product. After the protracted build up one migh rightly have expected more from them.

If ever there were an appropriate place to swoon over steelbooks and slip covers, surely this is it. Hell, hidefninja's mission statement is:

"Established in 2009, hidefninja.com is a fun and friendly international entertainment collectibles community and market place. It is an energetic, dynamic and thriving hub for building friendships, learning about and purchasing entertainment collectibles, and creating exciting community feedback and networking opportunities to expand personal collections and shape future limited editions."

It just seems a bit off-color to criticize users for gushing about steelbooks on a forum dedicated to steelbooks. I think a tendency for cynicism sets in as one reaches the maturation point in a given hobby, but labeling the enthusiastic posts of fellow members (even those of doe-eyed newbies) as "ludicrous" and "vaguely pathetic" isn't in the spirit of this forum. The hidefninja community is packed with some of the most welcoming, helpful, generous, and friendly members and mods you'll find on the internet. And with all the current unpleasantness in both our corners of the world, it's a comfort knowing a place like this exists. :thumbs:

Also, I know I've glommed onto one frustrated statement from a library full of your positive posts, so I apologize for singling out just this one. But with NINJAWEEK 2017(!) just over the horizon, I felt it deserved a modest response. :)

Very valid points .
It seems even a very average package from PA will send the fanboys into a festival of praise.

If ever there were an appropriate place to swoon over steelbooks and slip covers, surely this is it. Hell, hidefninja's mission statement is:

"Established in 2009, hidefninja.com is a fun and friendly international entertainment collectibles community and market place. It is an energetic, dynamic and thriving hub for building friendships, learning about and purchasing entertainment collectibles, and creating exciting community feedback and networking opportunities to expand personal collections and shape future limited editions."

It just seems a bit off-color to criticize users for gushing about steelbooks on a forum dedicated to steelbooks. I think a tendency for cynicism sets in as one reaches the maturation point in a given hobby, but labeling the enthusiastic posts of fellow members (even those of doe-eyed newbies) as "ludicrous" and "vaguely pathetic" isn't in the spirit of this forum. The hidefninja community is packed with some of the most welcoming, helpful, generous, and friendly members and mods you'll find on the internet. And with all the current unpleasantness in both our corners of the world, it's a comfort knowing a place like this exists. :thumbs:

Also, I know I've glommed onto one frustrated statement from a library full of your positive posts, so I apologize for singling out just this one. But with NINJAWEEK 2017(!) just over the horizon, I felt it deserved a modest response. :)

Point taken.

It is merely a matter of scale and proportion. Some folks appear to have lost the sense of both with what is essentially simply a "hobby" as you point out.

People such as Igans and myself are in the upper echelon of Steelbook collecting with something over 1,000 and approaching that resepctively.
At that point in the game you're in pretty clear air and tend to see things with a sharper, perchance cynical eye and perspective which those doe-eyed newbies you mention have yet to acquire. So yes, Iimagine it does appear a little harsh; but it's little more than a "reality check" from a few of the old hands, with no malicious or personal intention . . . .

But yes, there is far too much upleasantness in the world at the moment - I had a totally unwanted and unnecessary run-in with a very stupid, racist and extremely drunken brexiteer only last evening which more than adequately proves the point you are making.

Cheers, and do enjoy NinjaWeek :)

edited for typos

Last edited:
People such as Igans and myself are in the upper echelon of Steelbook collecting with something over 1,000 and approaching that resepctively.
At that point in the game you're in pretty clear air and tend to see things with a sharper, perchance cynical eye and perspective which those doe-eyed newbies you mention have yet to acquire.
:)
You serious?!?
I got a collection of more than 1400 (slip cover) amarays, +- 600 (premium) steels and over 100 collectors boxes
but feel no supremacy over collectors you call 'newbies'. Maybe it will come when I approach that respectively big number.....

Point taken.

It is merely a matter if scale and proportion. Some folks apear to have lost the sense of both with what is essentially simply a "hobby" as you point out.

At that point in the game you're in pretty clear air and tend to see things with a sharper, perchance cynical eye and perspective which those doe-eyed newbies you mention have yet to acquire. So yes, Iimagine it does appear a little harsh; but it's little more than a "reality check" from a few of the old hands, with no malicious or personal intention . . . .

But yes, there is far too much upleasantness in the world at the moment - I had a totally unwanted and unnecessary run-in with a very stupid, racist and extremely drunken brexiteer only last evening which more than adequately proves the point you are making.

Cheers, and do enjoy NinjaWeek :)

This doe-eyed newbie is still very pleased with his purchase :thumbs:

• Thanks
Reactions: misformatt
You serious?!?
I got a collection of more than 1400 (slip cover) amarays, +- 600 (premium) steels and over 100 collectors boxes
but feel no supremacy over collectors you call 'newbies'. Maybe it will come when I approach that respectively big number.....

Mmmm congratulations but A. We were talking about just steelbooks, and B.Nobody suggested "supremacy" in any way, shape or form - that, as you are well aware, is strictly your interpretation